Eight Development Players Training With Main Squad

48 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Crazy to see no the poster who has nothing but negativity about every player we are linked with or sign thinks Clare is a gem.... far far far to early to say. On basis of one game? Wow! 

When you think about our fooked up recruitment, I was probably right Maybe if you, and those responsible for recruitment, were a little more discerning, then we wouldn’t be in this financial mess

53 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Yep I was at QPR but you have answered your own question, the whole defence was awful so why single out a young lad especially when for some reason we went four at the back. The game was over before I had eaten my pie.

I saw him at home against a big strong Cardiff side when he was great despite Warnock understandably targeting him and equally away at Hull where he played really well against a Hull side that had been scoring for fun

If he was taller he would be a great centre half but I think he will suffer a bit because of his height

My point was, that’s what you get with youngsters Just as Clare looked a little lost in a couple games, so have some of the other youngsters Against that, look how Clare dominated that game, against one of the better Championship sides

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

When you think about our fooked up recruitment, I was probably right Maybe if you, and those responsible for recruitment, were a little more discerning, then we wouldn’t be in this financial mess

I call bull..... list all players brought in during this ‘fooked up recruitment’ list their purchase price and current value. 

Every transfer is a gamble, especially so at our level, but even with a few gone wrong I’d be shocked if we were running negative equity. For every unforeseen injury case such as Matias and Abdi you have a player that has most certainly doubled if not more in value. You conveniently ignore those though as your posts continue to spew doom and gloom. 

Our Fooked up recruitment brought in Jaoa, Winnal, Pessy, Fessi and Hooper for less than £10m. 

Some of those players could fetch that on their own. If you could double or treble money through investments over a 2-3 year period you’d be rich enough to be able to buy our beloved club, unfortunately you can’t and just get to spew negativity instead. 

Don’t quit your day job! But maybe have week or so off the doom. Life is better when you don’t constantly look for negatives. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I call bull..... list all players brought in during this ‘fooked up recruitment’ list their purchase price and current value. 

Every transfer is a gamble, especially so at our level, but even with a few gone wrong I’d be shocked if we were running negative equity. For every unforeseen injury case such as Matias and Abdi you have a player that has most certainly doubled if not more in value. You conveniently ignore those though as your posts continue to spew doom and gloom. 

Our Fooked up recruitment brought in Jaoa, Winnal, Pessy, Fessi and Hooper for less than £10m. 

Some of those players could fetch that on their own. If you could double or treble money through investments over a 2-3 year period you’d be rich enough to be able to buy our beloved club, unfortunately you can’t and just get to spew negativity instead. 

Don’t quit your day job! But maybe have week or so off the doom. Life is better when you don’t constantly look for negatives. 

I’ll turn things around for you Since Wembley, when I believe our recruitment started to go wrong, we’ve signed 20 odd players, how many of them would you deem to be a success? No more than a handful in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’ll turn things around for you Since Wembley, when I believe our recruitment started to go wrong, we’ve signed 20 odd players, how many of them would you deem to be a success? No more than a handful in my opinion 

Ok, so ignore part of a recruitment / regime to fit your argument.... go for it, list them. I think you’ll surprise yourself.  Even after wembley. 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For every 20 signed, basic arithmetic says at least 9 could be considered a failure. 

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Yep I was at QPR but you have answered your own question, the whole defence was awful so why single out a young lad especially when for some reason we went four at the back. The game was over before I had eaten my pie.

I saw him at home against a big strong Cardiff side when he was great despite Warnock understandably targeting him and equally away at Hull where he played really well against a Hull side that had been scoring for fun

If he was taller he would be a great centre half but I think he will suffer a bit because of his height

Hutch isn't the tallest , neither was des walker, Kyle walker is playing for England there despite being God awful in the air down the years there's been some very good cbs that weren't that tall. On the other side we've seen plenty of tall guys who arnt the best in the air vanAkren is about 6-2/6-3 and he's not great in the air, as far as 6ft 4 monsters that were woeful arialy, my god Jones created land of the giants, llera, Gardner, reda, and Co and half the goals we conceded were headers or set peices. 

If he learns to read the game well and use strength and positioning along with good anticipation and awereness he can become a very capable cb, especially if paired with a big lad or 2 depending on the formation. 

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Oh dear, injury crisis again? Either that, or it’s 20 a side

It's either that or get released, and getting released does nothing for SWFC or the player.

Why release a player when they can be worth £250k with a little bit of nurture, even if ultimately you know some of them may not be first team material for us.

A few may become first team players, a few may garner the club with £££,£££,£££ which would also help pay for the setup.

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Ok, so ignore part of a recruitment / regime to fit your argument.... go for it, list them. I think you’ll surprise yourself.  Even after wembley. 

Not a case of ignoring that part, the recruitment in that first year was, by and large, pretty good Then we changed things, with the chairman taking a more hands on approach 

Post Wembley, it’s easier to list the success’s, probably Reach, for whom we paid too much, Pelepussy, who is decent at the price, Venâncio was a good loan So three, although I think Van Aken will turn out alright Not too clever eh?

Just now, gurujuan said:

Not a case of ignoring that part, the recruitment in that first year was, by and large, pretty good Then we changed things, with the chairman taking a more hands on approach 

Post Wembley, it’s easier to list the success’s, probably Reach, for whom we paid too much, Pelepussy, who is decent at the price, Venâncio was a good loan So three, although I think Van Aken will turn out alright Not too clever eh?

Couldn’t buy a Reach for 7m now? 

Pessy probably worth 4-6 tines what he cost, same with Winnal.

Clare is a gem on his one good game, But JvA isn’t? I mean they both had at least one good game, both very unproven? 

Pudil, solid reliable and well worth full transfer. 

Fletch on a free decent business. He’s no crock and puts body on line every game he’s played for us. 

Jones is a good footballer, not always what’s needed but useful player all the same. 

Boyd, Abdi, Rhodes not worked out. Not written off yet as sometimes written off players can prove you wrong. So yea, three. Three not worked out. Not too clever I agree. But not our recruitment, just our fans forgetful assessment of it. 

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Couldn’t buy a Reach for 7m now? 

Pessy probably worth 4-6 tines what he cost, same with Winnal.

Clare is a gem on his one good game, But JvA isn’t? I mean they both had at least one good game, both very unproven? 

Pudil, solid reliable and well worth full transfer. 

Fletch on a free decent business. He’s no crock and puts body on line every game he’s played for us. 

Jones is a good footballer, not always what’s needed but useful player all the same. 

Boyd, Abdi, Rhodes not worked out. Not written off yet as sometimes written off players can prove you wrong. So yea, three. Three not worked out. Not too clever I agree. But not our recruitment, just our fans forgetful assessment of it. 

Well yes, and that’s what it is, my assessment of it Things do turn out different, yes. I remember not being to keen on Hooper at the time He turned out to be a much better footballer than the one I thought I saw Conversely, I was delighted when we signed Abdi, so, yes I agree, it’s not always easy to judge how a player will turn out 

All things considered though, I really do believe our recruitment since Wembley has been poor, very poor

6 hours ago, mark1948 said:

From Jos's Radio Sheffield Interview.

So 8 of the under 23s and younger are training with the main group. Jos hints that at least 1 will make the first team probably more.

These could be like new signings, although the likes of Thornily could be already considered first team squad.

Some of these "Kids" are over 20 years of age and should be developed enough for their prospects or lack thereof to be known.

Time was that if you hadn't made the first team by 20 or 21 it was time to find a proper job.

Lets hope that we have some great players about to be unearthed from our own resources. Now is the time.

I’m not naming names but I know the uncle of one of lads in our u23’s who moved up from u18’s last season and he thought he was going to make bench on last day last season, the likes of Thorniley are now first team, expect Jos to be on about 8 as so far unseen players. We’ve a few that are very close.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Well yes, and that’s what it is, my assessment of it Things do turn out different, yes. I remember not being to keen on Hooper at the time He turned out to be a much better footballer than the one I thought I saw Conversely, I was delighted when we signed Abdi, so, yes I agree, it’s not always easy to judge how a player will turn out 

All things considered though, I really do believe our recruitment since Wembley has been poor, very poor

Like I said, list every player and look at their contribution and current value. I think you’ll surprise yourself. Facts outweigh beliefs. 

Also isn’t Hooper on a full transfer part of that after wembley too? Yet another flipping failure! So many.... seriously try going through them all. 

2 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

I’m not naming names but I know the uncle of one of lads in our u23’s who moved up from u18’s last season and he thought he was going to make bench on last day last season, the likes of Thorniley are now first team, expect Jos to be on about 8 as so far unseen players. We’ve a few that are very close.

Great news if that’s the case. I’m looking forward to friendlies to see if any are involved. 

Clearly, 8 development players currently training with the main squad is a case of JL getting a closer look and edging his bets in the event that there are few or no incoming transfers. I expect that number to reduce once the season starts.

I'm delighted we've opened up a clear pathway for the younger players to progress but we need to be in a position where we are only utilising the very best because they are worthy of a place, not out of necessity. 

Whilst the prospect of one or even two young Wednesday starlets emerging fills me with joy I think expectations need to be realistic. 

Thornily showed he was up to the task.

In fact, 2 others did really - Nielson was one, who was the other Centre back, he was the smallest of the bunch?

Then the young full back also showed he was not in it to make the numbers up, he gave it a go and didn't fall short.

Stobbs didn't really show up, maybe he still has more to offer - what I am saying is who says this bunch of kids are not an exceptional lot where usually we yield nothing?

So my theory is Clare is off.... so can’t see him being there. Thornley is a first team

player and rightly so he played well and to be honest I’d start with him at left CH.

so 8 players from the academy who could they be.

Stobbs

Nielson

Borakov

Hunt

The young CM who made his debut can’t remeber his name.

Baker

Penney

O’Grady

8 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

So my theory is Clare is off.... so can’t see him being there. Thornley is a first team

player and rightly so he played well and to be honest I’d start with him at left CH.

so 8 players from the academy who could they be.

Stobbs

Nielson

Borakov

Hunt

The young CM who made his debut can’t remeber his name.

Baker

Penney

O’Grady

Connor Kirby.