Rate the season

The club behind the scenes 1-10 - for the most part they have a lot to learn and st times it’s been a real embarrassment 

Big name players 3-10 - unlucky or other variables the fitness and performance of our big earners has been way below par 

Second string 7-10 - these players have stood up and given everything when required. Nuhiu, Joao, Venacio, Pudil, etc 

Youth players 9/10 - come on leaps and bounds and something we can be proud of this year

Away support 9/10 - never fails to amaze me - we get some of the best support away from Home in England despite watching a lot of dross

Home support - 7/10 & 3/10 - the regular fans on a whole have stuck by the club despite the season being poor on a whole 

Dissapointed by the non regulars being more non regular than normal - for whatever reason 

A real mixed bag, with green shoots of hope for next season and hope that the club has learnt a few lessons 

2/10- Disaster.

The aim at the start was automatic promotion; we only confirmed safety the other week.

The only things making it as high as 2/10 are:

Leeds double

Reach’s wondergoals at Villa and Forest

Reach’s general high standard throughout the season

Nuhiu’s wondergoal against Preston

Nuhiu’s emergence as a prolific striker over the last couple of months

Joao’s improvement over the last couple of months

Youngsters breaking into the team and looking like they should be there

The Wednesday Pale Ale

I was going to include the return of players like Forestieri and Bannan, but I’ve decided them being missing most of the season is one of the reasons why the score is so low. We already knew they were top players and their absence through injury has contributed to the disaster. Their recent return has limited the damage rather than been a highlight.

• Thanks 1

The truth is only now beginning to emerge. A bizarre set of circumstances, some accidental some manufactured out of negligence, in the main Players rushed back from injury, others played out of position to fill in as a stop gap whilst a whole raft of most promising youth players have been ignored. Carlos may have got away with it if something, anything worked for him. Unfortunately nothing did and persisting with his positive jokey style did for him has patience was lost amongst the fans, and worse as it now begins to emerge, amongst the players. It should not be forgotten however, that his first two seasons were, the first season in particular, were verging on great.

Still it is what it is and our Christmas present this year was two fold. Haunted by the spectre of both Sheffield clubs exiting the Championship; Us by the trap door and the Blades via the Play Offs. Jos was courteously welcomed, I think the welcome lasted the whole of three weeks, Just want to say that the level of patience amongst our fan base is itself a fetter on the club. But Jos slowly at first started to turn things around with some encouraging performances from our younger players none of who'm looked out of place as we started to garner a few decent results. Since then our only set back has been that tackle of Hutchinson in the North East corner of the ground that put him out of the running again.

So the prize was never in our grasp, disaster eventually was comfortably avoided and prospects for the future are positive. I would rate the season a 7+.     

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The truth is only now beginning to emerge. A bizarre set of circumstances, some accidental some manufactured out of negligence, in the main Players rushed back from injury, others played out of position to fill in as a stop gap whilst a whole raft of most promising youth players have been ignored. Carlos may have got away with it if something, anything worked for him. Unfortunately nothing did and persisting with his positive jokey style did for him has patience was lost amongst the fans, and worse as it now begins to emerge, amongst the players. It should not be forgotten however, that his first two seasons were, the first season in particular, were verging on great.

Still it is what it is and our Christmas present this year was two fold. Haunted by the spectre of both Sheffield clubs exiting the Championship; Us by the trap door and the Blades via the Play Offs. Jos was courteously welcomed, I think the welcome lasted the whole of three weeks, Just want to say that the level of patience amongst our fan base is itself a fetter on the club. But Jos slowly at first started to turn things around with some encouraging performances from our younger players none of who'm looked out of place as we started to garner a few decent results. Since then our only set back has been that tackle of Hutchinson in the North East corner of the ground that put him out of the running again.

So the prize was never in our grasp, disaster eventually was comfortably avoided and prospects for the future are positive. I would rate the season a 7+.     

If Jos doesn't get us into the playoff at least, he will be hounded out of the club.  Fans nowadays are not prepared for a club to be built they want instant results and will turn against the incumbent at the drop of a hat.

12 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Thank you Nev. Excellent summary and saved me some typing!

4/10. Boosted from 0/10 solely because of how we’ve finished. 

Absolutely ridiculous the amount of injuries we’ve had. For whatever reason we’ve had so many, it’s an issue that needs addressing immediately. Far too many to just be bad luck, IMO.

It has to go down as a disappointing season, on the back of 2 play-off finishes. But Jos has got a few key players back, and we’re looking like we could beat anyone again. Roll on 18/19! 

Edited by eckington owl

3 minutes ago, Watson said:

If Jos doesn't get us into the playoff at least, he will be hounded out of the club.  Fans nowadays are not prepared for a club to be built they want instant results and will turn against the incumbent at the drop of a hat.

Next season is already looking tougher than this one imo 

The 3 teams coming down are all fairly well run clubs no car crash club like Sunderland this season and all are going to be very well resourced add in that of Fulham, Villa and Boro, 2 of them are going to be still in the mix . 

I reckon Forest with Karanka in charge could do well people point to his boring rubbish football with Boro in the Prem totally ignoring how good Boro were the season they went up if the Greek guy can stay out of nick and finances Forest properly they will be up there 

Will Bristol continue with their investments? Again having heard their Chairman interviewed on the Radio I think so 

Leeds can’t continue to be a joke and the bloke they have in at the helm at the moment sounds much more serious than the last clown

Derby will be there or thereabouts as ever 

Then there’s Us Yoonited Brum eat al and the promoted Clubs I think it all adds up to a very tough season 

46 minutes ago, Loxley Owl said:

2/10- Disaster.

The aim at the start was automatic promotion; we only confirmed safety the other week.

The only things making it as high as 2/10 are:

Leeds double

Reach’s wondergoals at Villa and Forest

Reach’s general high standard throughout the season

Nuhiu’s wondergoal against Preston

Nuhiu’s emergence as a prolific striker over the last couple of months

Joao’s improvement over the last couple of months

Youngsters breaking into the team and looking like they should be there

The Wednesday Pale Ale

I was going to include the return of players like Forestieri and Bannan, but I’ve decided them being missing most of the season is one of the reasons why the score is so low. We already knew they were top players and their absence through injury has contributed to the disaster. Their recent return has limited the damage rather than been a highlight.

Thanks. I wasn't over keen on the 'OWLS' beer in the tap yesterday - a bit too hoppy for me.

I'll try the pale ale next time. 

39 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Second paragraph, where our patience is questioned, hit's home. 

24 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

The 3 teams coming down are all fairly well run clubs no car crash club like Sunderland this season and all are going to be very well resourced add in that of Fulham, Villa and Boro, 2 of them are going to be still in the mix . 

I reckon Forest with Karanka in charge could do well people point to his boring rubbish football with Boro in the Prem totally ignoring how good Boro were the season they went up if the Greek guy can stay out of nick and finances Forest properly they will be up there 

Will Bristol continue with their investments? Again having heard their Chairman interviewed on the Radio I think so 

Leeds can’t continue to be a joke and the bloke they have in at the helm at the moment sounds much more serious than the last clown

Then there’s Us Yoonited Brum eat al and the promoted Clubs I think it all adds up to a very tough season 

I feel more optimistic for next season than this one. Stoke have too many ageing players and a few mercenaries. Butland will be gone also. West Brom have severe financial issues and have had problems behind the scenes. Swansea might have Carvalhal enough said. Southampton if they dropped would be the best placed to go back up. Huddersfield could implode as they would lose Wagner. Villa if they don't go up might have start cutting back. Derby always seem to bottle it. Middlesbrough are well run with a sensible chairman. Fulham will there or thereabouts but I think we will be wiser stronger fitter and better prepared going into next season and I really fancy us to mount a challenge.

Given the high expectation at the start of the season and the ultimate final position (the real gauge of the season), the continued failure of Rhodes as a goal scorer, the bad taste left in the mouth after CC's release and the out coming revelations on his fitness training and poor tactics, his failure to involve our younger players, the revelation of a £20m loss in the accounts, the split in the fanbase caused by several factors, the notorious injury list (for whatever reason) this has been a very poor season by any measure.

Latterly we have seen an emerging picture of hope, built up by an open and honest head coach, who is prepared to put his faith in younger, fitter players. Unfortunately, in my eyes, this vast improvement came too late in the season to mask the BIG problems that emerged up to Christmas.

A very disappointing 4/10 IMO.

42 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Agree with almost everything you said a very well reasoned post, but despite that, the fans will be wanting his head if we aren't challenging for the playoffs.  Its the way of the football fan now.  Managers sell by date is getting shorter and shorter.

6/10 for me. Surprised to hear myself say it, but with benefit of hindsight I think it's done us good.

I loved CC's first year, but I didn't enjoy his second full season nearly as much, despite improving on our finishing position. Particularly in that campaign we finished 4th, there was always this vague sense of an Icarus scenario looming in the background for me - something just didn't feel right at all. We were playing utterly dour football and just about scraping success week in, week out, and to me we always seemed a couple of bad results away from a SPECTACULAR slump. Most of all, you could just feel on matchdays that none of the players on the pitch were very happy. Despite our very strong showing in the league, it always felt like the wheels could come off really badly at any moment, and I think the pretty dire showing against Hudds was the beginning of it.

That carried over into the first half of this season, obviously, and it was pretty awful to watch - but in many ways, seeing our fears confirmed and then being forced to make big changes at the club felt to me like a relief of sorts. Unpleasant while it lasted, but almost like finally ripping off a plaster. And I've been pretty delighted with the way we've stood up in the face of a shocking injury situation and pretty much dealt with it as best we could've hoped for. It now feels like we're just about ready to start reaping the rewards of that hard-fought battle.

In short, I'm far more optimistic going into next season now than I would've been had we limped to a flat, lifeless finish and just about avoided the relegation scrap under CC. This season, as painful as it was at times, felt somehow inevitable and like it kind of needed to happen. Very much the hangover, as it were. And yet we've kept the majority of a strong squad together, brought younger players through and improved our standing with the academy no end.

We now go again with the benefit of knowing both how to succeed AND how to right the ship when it's leaking and listing, which we never really looked mentally or physically equipped for under the previous regime. I think this difficult time has strengthened us, and overall it's probably left us better off than we would've been had the status quo persisted.

So all in all, I can't say it's been great fun for much of the time, but I can't begrudge the fact that it's happened the way it has. I'm also excited about the longer-term future, even if it doesn't bring immediate success the way CC did, and that's more than worth one underwhelming season of bobbing around lower mid-table.

1 hour ago, Watson said:

In your opinion, he was a hindrance and your opinion is subjective it's not a proof.  All I am claiming is that his record for reaching the playoffs is good and would give any club a good reason to sign him.

Two attempts  - Two Fails - V poor.

• Like 2