Anyone think he looked a lot sharper on Saturday?

Won a few headers, brought the ball down well and nice few flicks ons to teammates. Also did well to drag two defenders away with him to create space for Boyd to get his goal. Also looks a bit bigger to me too, seems to have been hitting the gym.

We've been patient with him but promising couple of performances from Jordan. I know many are saying we should cut our losses and move him on, but I'd be interested to see how he fairs with a pre-season under Jos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

He wants to come good and that attitude and desire is important to keep around the football club.

Do we ship out Fletcher, Hirst and Winnall to keep Rhodes tho? and bolster other areas of the squad?

Formation maybe designed for full backs to get 10-15 assists per season also, imagine if we had Ben Marshall and Scott Malone. Rhodes may see an up turn. 

Guest LittleG

Considering he was playing for much of the time as a lone striker, I thought he had a decent game. He won quite a few headers and held the ball up really well. 

He looked very VERY isolated on Saturday.

I still believe Jordan will score goals again at this level but it’s becomjng increasingly apparent that it won’t be here.

Given our predicament with regards to FFP and the embarrassment of riches we have to choose from in attack I can’t help but feel his days at Hillsborough are numbered.

In all fairness it’ll be best for both parties, no doubt someone will get a hell of a bargain.

16 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

He wants to come good and that attitude and desire is important to keep around the football club.

Do we ship out Fletcher, Hirst and Winnall to keep Rhodes tho? and bolster other areas of the squad?

Formation maybe designed for full backs to get 10-15 assists per season also, imagine if we had Ben Marshall and Scott Malone. Rhodes may see an up turn. 

Hirst is all but gone but unlikey to realise much in cash

Winnall unlikely to mmove due to injury.

Fletcher still under (a highly paid) contract and wrong age 

The real value to enable some summer restructuring remains with Forestieri, Rhodes, Hooper, Dave, Matias and Joao.

Thats at least two too many strikers.

Hope DC, KM, & JL have their tin hats on when it starts. 

44 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Jos seems to like playing with a sole striker in which case a fit Fletcher is a decent option, so is the new Atdhe. Hirst is out of our hands unfortunately, he will decide his future not us. Winnall is a half decent Championship striker but I don't think he's anything more than a good squad player for a team going for promotion.

Rhodes is potentially a player who can be striker in a promotion team IF he can find his way back to his best. Having said that he isn't a sole striker, he needs a big man along side him. Up to the last couple of games I thought he was a shadow of his former self but now there are signs that he still has the ability. It's now up to the system Jos wants to play.

An optimist might wonder if he suffered particularly badly from sitting on Boros bench then Carlos’ fitness regime. To say he’s not looked sharp is being kind. Maybe his legs haven’t gone and he just needed to get properly fit. I’m certain that Jos and his team will have been closely monitoring any improvement in fitness levels so will be able to make a decision based on that.

There have been suggestions on here that in January, Rhodes was lined up for a loan move to Ipswich, Fletcher was on his way to Rangers and Hooper was also on his way until injuries intervened. if true, it shows where we're at with FFP and suggests to me that there won't be a promotion push any time soon. If big offers come in for FF, Bazza and Lees, they'll no doubt be off too.

• Haha 1

I thought he started the game well on Saturday, winning headers, receiving the ball with his back to goal and laying it off well keeping possession, but then he had a decent chance to score with the header with the ball in from Boyd(?) - he should really have done better with it and it seemed to get to him as he was in the game less after that.

He was isolated though, and I don't think that suits him particularly. It was noticeable just how much more fluid our attack was once João and Nuhiu came on, but this was as much to do with the change of formation I reckon.

The fitness angle might have something to it - and though he's not one to make excuses, I think Rhodes himself will know if that's been a contributing factor. I also noticed him putting himself about a bit more too. Mind you, I've noticed a few of our players getting more stuck in after JL said we need to be more aggressive in the tackle a few weeks ago.

I suspect that one area JL will certainly address during the summer will be the lack of pace in wide areas, and though pacey wingers that can cross are never cheap, I would genuinely expect that if Rhodes career at Wednesday will ever get going then it would be as a result of such a change to our setup.

A half decent fitness regime will make a massive difference, something I’m sure that JL will implement at the very least 

..just not convinced Rhodes will fit in JL’s system so I can see him going tbh, especially if Dave and Joao stay on.

Fletcher is the slight unknown - as has been mentioned he should fit JL’s system well and scores goals when fit ..but can he stay fit consitently enough?  Hopefully a decent training regime and an avoidance of being played when injured will help. 

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

He was isolated a lot on his own. Sadly, i didnt think he did all that much to be honest. 

Agreed

It is the classic case of we win so everyone has played well.

He didn't do a great deal, but was VERY isolated like you say. 

51 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Rhodes is a top quality striker, there is no doubting that. After seeing what jos has done with dave and Joao,  I'm confident he can do the same with Rhodes.  

I’m just hoping that’s it’s a fitness thing and he’ll be much sharper after a good pre season