hirst to united

37 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Pop off to United for more money, then get sent out on loan anyway. Because, let’s be honest, he’ll be no where near their first 11. We’ll get bugger all for him as well. 

Only one loser here - Sheffield Wednesday. Can’t get excited for him I’m afraid. A sorry saga that could have been avoided by both sides. 

Spot on

I actually feel one reason why the England national team is suffering these days is too many of the best young players go and sign for Arsenal and Chelsea academies and they don’t get the right development they need, as they don’t develop that mental toughness and desire to succeed that they would get playing first team football in the English league. 

I think these days a lot of them already feel they’ve made it and are happy to just play U23 football, turn up to 1-2 league cup games a season by coming off the bus wearing big headphones and going to Nike sponsored parties in London where Stormzie or the next little mix are hanging out.  

When you think of the better England teams of the past a lot of the best players started out at “smaller” clubs and worked hard to get into the first team. Then they either got promoted with those teams or earned transfers to bigger clubs. And I suspect even the likes of Scholes and Gerrard had to work hard to earn a place in their first teams, by cleaning boots etc. 

I think the trouble is these days that young English footballers are handed a celebrity life style. Money and fame, when they need to earn it to develop into a better footballer 

Think about out how many young players have been on arsenal’s And Chelsea’s books in the last 10 years and how many actually made it into their first team. In fact most just end up dropping down the leagues or going off to play in some obscure foreign league. 

It will be interesting to see in a couple of seasons where we are and where G Hirst is playing. 

Edited by Southie_Owl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

If the move comes off then it will be good for him and the club.

We will get some cash for the time he has spent here and maybe a decent add on mounting to millions.

Not sure you can have add ons when a player leaves when his contract expired?

we’ll just get one small compensation fee for him being under 21 or whatever. 

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

If the move comes off then it will be good for him and the club.

We will get some cash for the time he has spent here and maybe a decent add on mounting to millions.

if we had given him £20 k a week what he was after got him on a 4 yr contract started scoring sold him after 2 yrs ,Got £10 million been a lot better mate.

4 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

if we had given him £20 k a week what he was after got him on a 4 yr contract started scoring sold him after 2 yrs ,Got £10 million been a lot better mate.

Life is not as simple as that. These scenarios could have been a result of caving in to his demands... 

We could have given him 20K a week - what he was allegedly after ?- which could have led to many other players demanding a pay rise as their role is more superior than a youth team player, which we’d have to pay according to your logic (If they want, they should get). With our current financial position, it wouldn’t be a great decision in my opinion.

Further to that, it could have turned out that he wasn’t good enough for the Championship and we’re left paying 20K a week for 4 years? 

Maybe if we hadn't spunked millions on players that rarely play or are not effective when they do play we could have offered him a decent contract with the ability to talk to a big club if they came in for him. I think FFP may have got in the way here and something we could learn from now we have a better academy.

55 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Pop off to United for more money, then get sent out on loan anyway. Because, let’s be honest, he’ll be no where near their first 11. We’ll get bugger all for him as well. 

Only one loser here - Sheffield Wednesday. Can’t get excited for him I’m afraid. A sorry saga that could have been avoided by both sides. 

Agreed, if there's any truth in this story, all it does it conform what a balls ups we made in not recognising his value. 

I don't like the way his camp have gone about it, but once again Chansiris recruitment policy looks pathetic.

Sooner he is out of the door, the better and we can move on. Or move sideways, with the likes of Fletcher and Rhodes on mega bucks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RocastleFan said:

Life is not as simple as that. These scenarios could have been a result of caving in to his demands... 

We could have given him 20K a week - what he was allegedly after ?- which could have led to many other players demanding a pay rise as their role is more superior than a youth team player, which we’d have to pay according to your logic (If they want, they should get). With our current financial position, it wouldn’t be a great decision in my opinion.

Further to that, it could have turned out that he wasn’t good enough for the Championship and we’re left paying 20K a week for 4 years? 

You could be right ,We will see ,if we are getting close too FFP , Could we afford it anyway.