Modern Football

Modern Football Is Rubbish

Poisoned by money. 

They need to stop giving yellow cards for legitimate if clumsy attempts to win the ball and start dishing them out for play acting, going to ground, arguing with the ref etc.

The former is a result of not being a very good player. The latter is cheating.  Any game that allows or encourages cheating is pointless.

The best way to improve football would be if the "Respect" campaign was honoured re swearing at and hounding refs. 3 or 4 players sent off and you would see an immediate change. but the FA is hopeless and the Premier League is a venal and greedy corporate.  So nothing will change. And meanwhile they wonder why grassroots football is dying in this country...

4 hours ago, alanharper said:

The 6 second rule for goalkeepers is completely ignored, so refs aren't going to bother counting to 20 

I thought the six second rule was abandoned years ago. Also iirc, the six seconds was the amount of time the goalie could have the ball in his hands ; hence goalkeepers bouncing the ball whilst moving across the penalty area. I am open to being proven wrong though.

31 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I thought the six second rule was abandoned years ago. Also iirc, the six seconds was the amount of time the goalie could have the ball in his hands ; hence goalkeepers bouncing the ball whilst moving across the penalty area. I am open to being proven wrong though.

The 6 second rule is still an amendment to FIFA's law 12 although it's not usually enforced.

• Thanks 1

Simple This - 

Time keeper in stands so every throw in/Corner/Goalkick/freekick you have 15seconds to get it taken otherwise clock stops if they take over 30seconds then simply reverse the decision, Substitutions clock stops straight away have this clock on the scoreboards that stops play acting/time wasting straight away.

Play acting if its a dive automatic 1 match ban, 2nd time 2matchs etc if the dive or play acting has a direct impact on the result then treble the ban(Have this over a rolling 3season period) worse offenders might end up getting 5 or 6games or even longer.

Most important though referees need to grow a pair and book players who ask for other players to be booked and realise a foul can be a foul without the player falling over.

8 hours ago, 2soon said:

Agree with the poster who suggested a rugby timekeeping system.

The only problem with that is that games will last for about 3 hours.

Players will still go down and waste time in order to 'break up the play'

12 hours ago, Owl14 said:

I’m getting sick and tired of players diving around, the referee getting his spray out, timewasting, players arguing with the ref and every time there is a small piece of contact players go down like they’ve been shot. 

Its really frustrated me how footballs evolved into a game of mind games and who can cheat the ref the most cause that’s not what it’s about 

Imo I think if these rules were added it would make the game far better, give it a better flow and make it more enetertaining 

- Freekicks have to be taken within 15 seconds after the player has retrieved the ball 

- Any form of diving or simulation is an immediate yellow card card no matter where or when

- The referee can only use his spray when a free kick is being taken in one of the attacking thirds 

-Anyform of abusing a referee is an immediate yellow card, his decision is made and he will not change it

Personally bringing those 4 rules in to control the behaviour of the players will benefit the game and the fans cause do we really spend £20 + to watch 11 men argue to a ref and simulate events? No 

These two are already laws just need enforcing properly.

I would however like to see the introduction of a separate time-keeper who stops the clock every time there is a stoppage in play. I can't see how this would have a negative impact on the fans and the only teams it would hinder are those looking to waste time.

10 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

I also hate the way football has basically become a non contact sport. Tackling has basically been driven out of the game. Any contact now usally results in a free kick.slide tackles  are seen as fouls now and any challenge on a keeper is a no no . 

Or in Nuhiu's case you get penalised for simply being bigger than your opposite number. 

Before you'll know it we'll have weight categories for the positions. 

"Erm sorry gaffer, their CB is only 9 stone so we'll have to use one the kids up front so it isn't too unbalanced" :carlosswfc:

2 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

Or in Nuhiu's case you get penalised for simply being bigger than your opposite number. 

Before you'll know it we'll have weight categories for the positions. 

"Erm sorry gaffer, their CB is only 9 stone so we'll have to use one the kids up front so it isn't too unbalanced" :carlosswfc:

I am certain that if Nuhiu was 8 inches shorter he would get 5 times as many free kicks. Seriuosly, refs seem to think because of his size he can be fouled without fear of penalty.

7 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I am certain that if Nuhiu was 8 inches shorter he would get 5 times as many free kicks. Seriuosly, refs seem to think because of his size he can be fouled without fear of penalty.

Its a joke. Against Preston one of their players had their arm around his body, but because they came off worse it was a free kick to them.

Same story yesterday. Going up for headers, the other player just bounces off him, free kick.

Ridiculous

18 hours ago, Owl14 said:

I’m getting sick and tired of players diving around, the referee getting his spray out, timewasting, players arguing with the ref and every time there is a small piece of contact players go down like they’ve been shot. 

Its really frustrated me how footballs evolved into a game of mind games and who can cheat the ref the most cause that’s not what it’s about 

Imo I think if these rules were added it would make the game far better, give it a better flow and make it more enetertaining 

- Freekicks have to be taken within 15 seconds after the player has retrieved the ball 

- Any form of diving or simulation is an immediate yellow card card no matter where or when

- The referee can only use his spray when a free kick is being taken in one of the attacking thirds 

-Anyform of abusing a referee is an immediate yellow card, his decision is made and he will not change it

Personally bringing those 4 rules in to control the behaviour of the players will benefit the game and the fans cause do we really spend £20 + to watch 11 men argue to a ref and simulate events? No 

Used to be one rule conduct unbefitting a gentleman. Far simpler and more disciplined back in the day. 

the game evolves , I can remember old timers in the 60s complaining about the state of the game and how better  it was in there salad days .....I think the 60s were the heyday of football but being a youth of the 60s I would do .......50 years time fans will look back and say the remember when players only got a pittance of 50k  a week and it was only 40 quid for a ticket on the kop .  

17 hours ago, torres said:

Most of those rules already exist 

The ungentlemanly conduct rule is a catch all for this sort of stuff which rarely if ever gets used these days.

The rules are there it just needs the refs to apply them.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, diving a play acting winds me up as much as the next bloke and as a football fan it's quite embarrassing.

However, we're not also saying in the same breath that we want a return to the days when the more technical players would be literally kicked out of games are we? (Steve Bould/David Hirst not close to our heart?)

That is much worse than diving IMO, it's not going to wreck anyone's career.

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

the game evolves , I can remember old timers in the 60s complaining about the state of the game and how better  it was in there salad days .....I think the 60s were the heyday of football but being a youth of the 60s I would do .......50 years time fans will look back and say the remember when players only got a pittance of 50k  a week and it was only 40 quid for a ticket on the kop .  

We'll be long gone...but I can see a day when more people watch FIFA etc electronic game football than the real thing.

WTF!?

On 08/04/2018 at 07:05, Owl14 said:

Pretty much agree with that but I have another, an injured player hat to stop off the pitch for the same amount of time as the injury stopped the game

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 06:21, matthefish2002 said:

Modern football is not far off a non contact sport.

Used to love the blood and thunder games of the past with Lee Chapman up against someone like Brian Killkline.

Think its the faking injuries that annoy me most. 

If the game was still played like that imagine how many injuries we would have? Oh, wait.........

7 minutes ago, Owlstastic said:

If the game was still played like that imagine how many injuries we would have? Oh, wait.........

I know the reason the laws on strong tackling are more strongly enforced is to help skilful players but I really cant remember more injuries in the 80's and 90's.

Watch any game from then and stands out a mile the game was more psychical and IMO more enjoyable to watch.

Still got skilful players like Gazza (His injury was to himself), Waddle, Glen Hoddle, John Barnes.
Embarrassing to watch Pudil on Saturday go down like been shot and then not got foul, get up moan to linesman an then get on with the game. Fulham were even worse as well. Sometimes think WTF I am paying £30+ to watch grown man do that sort of thing.

If anyone says I am looking back with rose tinted glasses I agree I am a bit guilty of that but not totally.

Edited by matthefish2002