Modern Football

I’m getting sick and tired of players diving around, the referee getting his spray out, timewasting, players arguing with the ref and every time there is a small piece of contact players go down like they’ve been shot. 

Its really frustrated me how footballs evolved into a game of mind games and who can cheat the ref the most cause that’s not what it’s about 

Imo I think if these rules were added it would make the game far better, give it a better flow and make it more enetertaining 

- Freekicks have to be taken within 15 seconds after the player has retrieved the ball 

- Any form of diving or simulation is an immediate yellow card card no matter where or when

- The referee can only use his spray when a free kick is being taken in one of the attacking thirds 

-Anyform of abusing a referee is an immediate yellow card, his decision is made and he will not change it

Personally bringing those 4 rules in to control the behaviour of the players will benefit the game and the fans cause do we really spend £20 + to watch 11 men argue to a ref and simulate events? No 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guest mkowl

It is frustrating but we did it under CC in particular. Yesterday we were just naive. Our players get irked and then made it easy for them to do this for the last 10 minutes yesterday. Preston were doing it from the start last week and the irony of course was their fans moaning about us doing it toward the end

I completely agree on time wasting but diving/simulation is a problem that was originally created by referees for me. You just don't get the decision if you don't go down. VAR should sort it out to an extent at the top level but referees have to start rewarding honest players who try to stay on their feet otherwise it will never end.

• Thanks 1

Time wasting can be easily eradicated in the form of how rugby's times are calculated by an off field clock, then the Ref has no say in the matter, every time there is a stoppage, even just for a throw in, the clock stops, so players can throw them selves around as much as they like, wouldn't make any difference. 

It's not just time wasting though, it's breaking up the momentum the attacking team is building up. Warnock and Billy Davis' teams are masters at it. Easy couple of rules

1. Goal kicks taken from the side the ball goes out - within a time period - say 20 seconds of ball being back on the pitch - none of this strolling across the 6 yard box and doing a bit of gardening ( Mr Westwood as guilty as anyone of this). Failing to comply gives corner to opposing team

2. Throwins to be taken by player nearest the ball (except the keeper) and within 20 seconds again. Failing to comply throw given to opposing team.

4 minutes ago, doubleo said:

It's not just time wasting though, it's breaking up the momentum the attacking team is building up. Warnock and Billy Davis' teams are masters at it. Easy couple of rules

1. Goal kicks taken from the side the ball goes out - within a time period - say 20 seconds of ball being back on the pitch - none of this strolling across the 6 yard box and doing a bit of gardening ( Mr Westwood as guilty as anyone of this). Failing to comply gives corner to opposing team

2. Throwins to be taken by player nearest the ball (except the keeper) and within 20 seconds again. Failing to comply throw given to opposing team.

The 6 second rule for goalkeepers is completely ignored, so refs aren't going to bother counting to 20 

I thought the ref had a good game yesterday.  He didn't go booking willy-nilly and kept the game moving where possible.

I agree with Owl14's solutions, especially after Preston's 1st half antics last week.

The rolling around is embarrassing. Watching it with my daughter yesterday, there were around 5-6 incidents of genuinely pathetic play acting. It's usually pretty obvious when someone is actually injured, though saying that there was one Fulham player who went off when I again thought he was overdoing it. 

Fans simply singing 'why are you rolling around?' and 'is it a miracle?' when they get back up might shame them out of doing it, perhaps. Might catch on with other teams fans, have a general wee wee take out of them when they do it. After all, Fulham nicked the 'on our way' song, much to the young un's disgust...

Ultimately I think we will have a system of timekeeping that is based on the “ball in play”.  Other sports have it and it means as soon as a ball goes out of play or a referee blows his whistle then rimecstops and teams can take as long as they want.  There would be no advantage to taking forever at that point, albeit a referee should still be able to issue a card if someone is wasting time here (to slow things down in general - which could still happen if a team has momentum). That way, the legitimate way to waste time would be by retaining the ball by good passing, which I am sure we would all support.

As for simulation, more retrospective sanctions are needed. 

I also hate the way football has basically become a non contact sport. Tackling has basically been driven out of the game. Any contact now usally results in a free kick.slide tackles  are seen as fouls now and any challenge on a keeper is a no no . 

46 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Time wasting can be easily eradicated in the form of how rugby's times are calculated by an off field clock, then the Ref has no say in the matter, every time there is a stoppage, even just for a throw in, the clock stops, so players can throw them selves around as much as they like, wouldn't make any difference. 

Just thought I would add to this, every time the off field clock stops, an audible sound is heard through the clubs speakers, and again when clock starts.

OWLS / a twit to woo.

Norwich / (Alan Partridge), Ha Haa.

Pigs / Steptoe & Son.

Leeds / (spice girls) Wannabe.

Think this would make it a good laugh as the away teams / supporters wouldn't know what was coming, so pisstaking by them (wasting time) turns into pisstaking the other way.

When you've got highly paid players blatently swearing aggressively in the faces of the officials, and the they simply ignore it or look the other way, things won't change.

In fact it will get worse, as the next generation sees this behaviour as the norm, and it just continues. 

The FA need to grow some and get tough - they've had historical programmes and spun it as 'respect' but nothing changes.

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

I also hate the way football has basically become a non contact sport. Tackling has basically been driven out of the game. Any contact now usally results in a free kick.slide tackles  are seen as fouls now and any challenge on a keeper is a no no . 

Theres more guts in non-league - Im always impressed by the standard at 5th 6th & 7th tier. Football is more direct but also more gutsy.