Best Wednesday Goal ever comp

All good goals on the list, but no mention of the Dalian Atkinson goal against Liverpool when they were kings and we were struggling under Ron. He took on five or six of their players, weaving in and out before belting it in! It was one of those you didn't believe was real at first. Truly awesome.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Jermaine Johnsons strike at Leeds under Laws.

One of the best counter attacking goals I've seen. The ball from Brunt, the flick on by Burton to Whelan who set it up perfectly for Johnson to fire a cracking volley in the top corner. I think we were down to 10 men that game as well.

It reminded me in a way of one of the goals the 1970 world cup winning Brazil ream scored against Italy. Think it was Jairzinho or Carlos Alberto who scored. 

10 hours ago, Bigaltheowl said:

Dean Barrick away at Newcastle was a cracker

It wasn't, but he did score one from distance at Anfield shortly after.

Not sure if Hirst's cracker at Newcastle was in the same game as Barrick's debut goal, think it might have been. Got the ball out wide on halfway, where he'd gone because he was knackered and was about to be subbed, dribbled down cut inside jinking around a couple of  defenders and fizzed it into the top corner.

12 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Mel Sterland scored a fantastic goal at home v Arsenal in about '87/88 unfortunately it was never filmed.

Yep, remember that one - screaming for him to square it to Chapman after he'd run the length of the pitch but he just leathered it into the net!

Siggi Jonnson's goal at Norwich was never filmed either, so most Wednesdayites (including me) never saw it, just the lucky handful who were actually at the game, but the goal is immortalised by it's reputation.

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Yep, remember that one - screaming for him to square it to Chapman after he'd run the length of the pitch but he just leathered it into the net!

Siggi Jonnson's goal at Norwich was never filmed either, so most Wednesdayites (including me) never saw it, just the lucky handful who were actually at the game, but the goal is immortalised by it's reputation.

Siggi Jonnson's goal was filmed.  Back in the day my mate used to try and capture every goal on VHS, it got literally 5 seconds. The tapes are long since gone though. It dipped, swerved and did all sorts...There was a good still shot in the program a few weeks later and you could see it got way above the height of the crossbar before dipping in.

5 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Siggi Jonnson's goal was filmed.  Back in the day my mate used to try and capture every goal on VHS, it got literally 5 seconds. The tapes are long since gone though. It dipped, swerved and did all sorts...There was a good still shot in the program a few weeks later and you could see it got way above the height of the crossbar before dipping in.

Can't remember it ever being shown on TV, or included on any official videos, I've never seen it - although some matches were filmed on a dodgy camcorder and tapes sold in the club shop. Games weren't routinely televised/recorded until the early 90s, in fact I think I read somewhere that David Hirst's goal against Man City (the game he also played in goal) was the last top flight goal to not be recorded by the TV companies.

I do remember that photo in the programme though, taken from behind Jonsson

13 hours ago, Miffed said:

Good point

Then there are goals like Matt Hamshaw against Watford where he ran from one end of the field to the other, taking on several players in the process and cutely finishing it.

That's one I especially remember. There are the usual favourites so its nice to keep ones like the Hamshaw goal fresh in our memories too.

6 hours ago, Kermit Flump said:

Benny Carbone got two bangers v Blackburn back in our ‘orange away kit days’ during the 00’s or late 90’s (?). Either of those rate as some of the best goals I’ve seen us score....shame we got absolutely pumped that day!

And Carbone got sent off for a headbutt

lol

15 hours ago, steelowl said:

what do you think to this   hopelessly difficult but for me the Waddle goal just over sheridans 

Sheridan's free kick vs Luton was just class. Not necessarily the best Owls goal ever but fantastic!

3 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

There are too many to pick one but i'd highlight John Sheridans free kick at Luton...

Awesome

Feels like ages since we've scored off a free kick. When was the last time we scored directly off a set piece?