Best Wednesday Goal ever comp

A bit disappointing that too many of them are just someone putting their head down and lashing the ball as hard as they can. I usually prefer a bit of craft myself such as the tremendous team goal against Portsmouth (?) at Hillsborough in about 1991, Di Canio's individual effort at Everton or Humphreys at home to Leicester.

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

A bit disappointing that too many of them are just someone putting their head down and lashing the ball as hard as they can. I usually prefer a bit of craft myself such as the tremendous team goal against Portsmouth (?) at Hillsborough in about 1991, Di Canio's individual effort at Everton or Humphreys at home to Leicester.

I agree with a lot of thought I could pick some probably from the 90-94 era   can hardly remember goals from 60s

my pick was the sheer ecstasy of it going in from that far out against the other lot at wembley bliss

I hate to say it but for sheer technical difficulty and absolute precision it has to be Matias at Leeds. Like many watching my first thought was "f*ck did he just do that?".

I've watched a fair few goals since the early 60's as well including Regi Blinker's at Villa and John Harkes's at Derby.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Good point

Then there are goals like Matt Hamshaw against Watford where he ran from one end of the field to the other, taking on several players in the process and cutely finishing it.

1 minute ago, Miffed said:

Good point

Then there are goals like Matt Hamshaw against Watford where he ran from one end of the field to the other, taking on several players in the process and cutely finishing it.

Certainly better than Carbone's overhead kick at Newcastle, although that was obviously good too.

11 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

I was going to do this project myself - Carbone at Newcastle is without the question our best ever goal

Harkes at Derby is without question our best ever goal actually 

especially when youre stood straght behind it :goalie:

54 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Think you'd have to break it down into sections. 

• Best individual goal
  • Best team goal
  • Best goal in terms of significance 

Agree ‘best’ is a catch all term 

And to actually collate votes I Suppose to set up a vote you would have to have all goal nominations listed 

Hirst... Equaliser in the cup final. What was it? 22 passes? At the time, still the biggest stage in domestic football.

Sheridan... ZDS Cup against the truffle hunters. Small cup, big game, big crowd, big goal.

Lee... Brighton, play off. 8 passes, one end of pitch to other. Cut them wide open. Arguably our most important goal in recent times.