Captain of Sheffield Wednesday

Apologies if there's already been a thread about this but with Loovens seemingly on his last legs and in and out of the side, and with Tom Lees close to making a comeback, who would you have as the captain of our team?

By my reckoning we've had 5 captains this year? Loovens, Lees, Hutch, Jones and Reach. Weren't Bannan and Nuhiu even given it once? I can't remember. 

Lees has always been vice-captain followed by Hutch. Think Hutch is a great captain but he doesn't play enough. Lees doesn't seem to have many leadership qualities about him. 

Reach is young but well respected and I have to say I think he's embraced the role brilliantly. He constantly talks to his team mates, diffuses situations, calms them down, congratulates them, etc. Everything a leader should do. I loved it at Middlesborough when Thorniley got booked and he was straight over to him to give him a pat on the back and some reassurance. He also quickly stopped Matias from lynching the referee when he was sent off against Birmingham and was also the first to congratulate Dawson on his super save yesterday. 

I think he'd make a brilliant captain for the rest of the season but will it only be when Loovens isn't playing? And what about Lees? 

Yup. Posted similar (but shorter) in the OMDT. 

To see how the boo boys were saying he wasn't a championship player to become one of our best player in a matter of months. 

However, I would have never thought he could be a captain like he is. A bit like when Beckham was captain. He leads by example. 

We’ve got a problem with Reach. We are going to get some big offers in the summer, and we aren’t in a position to refuse. That lad is a Premier League footballer, and the stick he got on here early doors was shameful. 

• Thanks 1

Early signs are that the captaincy could be the making of Reach. He's stepped his game up massively this season, but especially in recent months when the going has been tough. He's led by example on the pitch and I'm sure he's earned the respect of his teammates for helping to drag them through some tough times.

9 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

Apologies if there's already been a thread about this but with Loovens seemingly on his last legs and in and out of the side, and with Tom Lees close to making a comeback, who would you have as the captain of our team?

By my reckoning we've had 5 captains this year? Loovens, Lees, Hutch, Jones and Reach. Weren't Bannan and Nuhiu even given it once? I can't remember. 

Lees has always been vice-captain followed by Hutch. Think Hutch is a great captain but he doesn't play enough. Lees doesn't seem to have many leadership qualities about him. 

Reach is young but well respected and I have to say I think he's embraced the role brilliantly. He constantly talks to his team mates, diffuses situations, calms them down, congratulates them, etc. Everything a leader should do. I loved it at Middlesborough when Thorniley got booked and he was straight over to him to give him a pat on the back and some reassurance. He also quickly stopped Matias from lynching the referee when he was sent off against Birmingham and was also the first to congratulate Dawson on his super save yesterday. 

I think he'd make a brilliant captain for the rest of the season but will it only be when Loovens isn't playing? And what about Lees? 

I agree - Reach does seem to have taken to the role well. I like his centre midfield rolle as well which would support him being captain more.

I hope Loovens' games are restricted to injury cover, as i expect he will move on in the Summer, so we need to start building the formation/team line up for 2018/19.

I’d like to see Reach keep it.

Since he’s had the arm band you can see on the pitch he’s always talking to the players, always trying to motivate the players, and sets a good example with his work rate. A similar type of captain to someone like Beckham. 

When Lees had it, it seemed to effect his game, in the same way it did with Semedo. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

We’ve got a problem with Reach. We are going to get some big offers in the summer, and we aren’t in a position to refuse. That lad is a Premier League footballer, and the stick he got on here early doors was shameful. 

It's Brunt and Whelan all over again, we have some caveman fans who couldn't spot a footballer if he smacked you in the chops.

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

We were saying not long ago that there were no leaders in the team then along comes Reach to take the responsibility as captain and Vernacio and Joey Pep have shown that they can do it on the field as well. What has changed ?

We have a  manager who knows how to motivate players , thats whats happened .

It's nice to see that we currently have a few players that are captain material and are vocal on the pitch. Reach has come out of his shell, Pelupessy has been a captain before, as has Venancio. Pudil is proving to be a strong character at the moment as well. Before we were relying on Loovens and Hutch who weren't always guaranteed to be on the pitch. 

I agree that Lees is better off concentrating on his football and benefited from having Loovens next to him and Westwood behind him.