Adam Reach in the middle of the park

11 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

I think that central role is perfect for Reach . He is as natural playmaker. 

I would have argued until recently but you are right, said the same to my brother at the Derby game. He is a playmaker and we haven't really had one since John Sheridan. And I am delighted he has put his doubter in there place!

15 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:
That's where he needs to stay.

He's getting better and better in the middle, and his energy in there is a huge positive for us at the moment.

He's wasted at LB and a good option for LM, but for me, in the middle is his spot.

He'd also be my captain too.

Build the team around this lad.

Top, top player and I'm delighted he's proved some fans wrong.

A steal for £5m

11 hours ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

Took some fearful stick at times under CC, but just appeared (to me) to be following the instructions he was being given even though they actually made him a weaker player. 

Starting to really see his ability now, and his strength of character as well. 

Starting to look a snip at £5m if you ask me, we’d get much, much more than that for him now and his value is (one of the few of our players!) going up with every game he plays. 

Not the first or last to suffer as a result of being misused by CC.

Its a simple game - put decent players in their best positions and more often than not they will deliver 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

39 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

He looked like Zidane at times. 

Someone else said Kevin De Bruyne, which is equally ridiculous but I seem to remember he was a fairly ineffective wide player at Chelsea, before discovering a central role. 

I’m not saying Reach is as good as De Bruyne but, we need a song to say he’s better 

lol

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

He's getting better and better in the middle, and his energy in there is a huge positive for us at the moment.

He's wasted at LB and a good option for LM, but for me, in the middle is his spot.

I totally agree with you and have also advocated that he be made club captain,  I can’t wait for Jos to get the best out of all the squad, Joao has responded very quickly, Rhodes next.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
17 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

Think I'm in the minority here but I kind of disagree.  He's had some absolute storming games in the middle such as against Derby the other night but he's also had some stinkers too such as against Barnsley.  I like him out wide as his crossing ability is superb.  I agree he's a crap full back but I think he's perfect for the wing back role.  At the moment we are short so I'd leave him there but long term I'm not sold yet.  

I wouldn't have him as captain either.  Not vocal enough and I like a centre half to be my captain.

This is not meant as a criticism either to you or Reach.  Can see your point and I think everyone agees that Reach has come on leaps and bounds this season and is probably our player of the year, but I'm still not sure about the permanent position change.

Delighted to see the development in Reach. I was still advocating him playing LWB before the Derby game to be honest but having watched his performance it'd be a brave / stupid man who'd take him out of midfield now. I'm sure being played consistently in one position will also be helping him, unlike when Carlos kept moving him around and could've ruined him. 

I think the combination of him and Bannan alongside a mobile holding midfielder like Joey could be tremendous - both have vision, energy, ability to drive forward with the ball and never shy away from possession. 

The only thing to worry about could be keeping hold of him. In today's market he has to be worth £8-10m and will have many admirers after performances like Tuesday. 

24 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I wouldn't have him as captain either.  Not vocal enough and I like a centre half to be my captain.

When he first came in I thought he was constantly "bullied" by Bannan telling him what to do and telling him off all the time. I would have agreed about him not being captain material but since he has been captain he has been a lot more vocal. Even against Derby when he was not captain he was very vocal. Will be interesting how he comes on as a captain, if it is the same as his football then we have a right player on our hands!

Edited by owlmark

1 minute ago, owlmark said:

When he first came in I thought he was constantly "bullied" by Bannan telling him what to do and telling him off all the time. I would have agreed about him not being captain material but since he has been captain he has been a lot more vocal. Even against Derby when he was not captain he was very vocal. Will be interesting how he comes on as a captain, if it is the same as his football when we have a right player on our hands!

These injuries have killed our season prematurely, but the individual form of certain players that have come in is something we ought to benefit from further down the line even when the majority of the injured players are back. Players like Venâncio, João, Wildsmith, Pudil, Matias, and even Nuhiu.

Another way we can perhaps see a benefit is with players like Reach, who was already playing week-in week-out for us anyway, but now I think have benefited from being able to step out of the shadows of the likes of Bannan, Hooper, FF, Lee, Hutchinson, and Fletcher.

Reach played well on Tuesday night, but as notable as his performance was the 'swagger' with which he played; he played like someone who saw himself as the main man. It was great to see, and I only hope this continues even when we get some of the 'stars' back fit and playing.

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Reach is our best central midfielder and it's a travesty that he was made to play left back in order to shoe horn in Carvalhals favourites. He drives the team forward something the others can't do.

To be fair he came here having spent a season at left mid and left back at Preston. He'd never kicked a ball in center mid before Jos moved him in there.

Leaves me less inclined to blame Carlos for playing what seemed to be a round peg in a round hole, and instead praise Jos for seeing the potential for Reach in the middle.

14 minutes ago, torryowl said:

had a good game on Tuesday and needs to keep that level of performance up ........it's wrong though to be writing off bannan coz if jos can get the best out of reach there's no reason he wouldn't be able to do the same with baz. 

Also, until Tuesday we have had very little creativity of any note and the side has been missing Bannan badly in that respect.

I don't doubt for one moment that the return of Bannan, Hooper, and FF will all improve the side even if it's not immediately obvious how they would fit in given where they'd played for us under CC.

10 minutes ago, cowl said:

Also, until Tuesday we have had very little creativity of any note and the side has been missing Bannan badly in that respect.

I don't doubt for one moment that the return of Bannan, Hooper, and FF will all improve the side even if it's not immediately obvious how they would fit in given where they'd played for us under CC.

all 3 are far too good to be not be able to get into this team . ..how jos fits them in I don't know but i'm sure that he'll find a way .