Adam Reach in the middle of the park

Got a right engine on him, didn’t stop running all game last night and bossed the game from centre mid position. As others have said he’s been a great stand in captain recently and should be made captain moving forwards - didn’t stop talking last night.

It’s been a rubbish season but at least one silver lining has been the improvement and turnaround of Reach - making the £5m price tag in today’s market looking like quite a bargain.

If he is to play centrally then we definitely need to add more quality on the left in terms of a winger and left back.

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

See how he does for the rest of season in that position. I'm not 100% sold on the idea, but could be convinced if he continues this form. 

That's where I'm at with it. I really think his optimum position is the left flank in a 3-5-2 / 3-4-3. He's playing well at the moment so can't take anything away from him for now. Hope it continues.

43 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Pudil is the best wing back at the club- just need enough fit centre halves to allow him to play there.

His legs are gone, at least looking at demands of the position. He was always suspect defending against pace anyway.

Jos found him new position, where he is looking quite good, long may it continue.

22 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Id be amazed if he ends up as a CM.

He is a wide player, ideally LWB, possibly LW and possibly LB, but in my humble and happy to be wrong opinion, never going to be a CM. 

He will do a job there, or anywhere for that matter, because he is quality. But no, not a long-term CM. 

You're wrong. 

He was good in the middle last night but in previous games he’s looked stifled.

He has been far from wasted out wide this season. He’s been one of our best players.

Ultimatley when the rest of them are fit and if we add Clare to the mix there won’t be the need for him in the middle but we will need him wide left.

23 minutes ago, malek said:

From what I've seen, I much preffer Reach to Bannan in CM. So much quicker, and more urgent on the ball. Don't need as much touches as Bannan to pass damned thing.

To be fair, if we stick at this 3 CMs system, I’d like to see Bannan play as well as Reach in the middle of the park. With Pelupessy/Jones as the deeper of the three. 

Bannan is at his best when he’s further up the park, and his form turned to crap as soon as he started dropping deeper and deeper. He’s been at his weakest when he’s just stuck on our CBs toes trying to play those damn 50 metre Hollywood diagonals that come off once every 6 games.  

Bannan and Reach with somebody shielding the back 4...yes please. Would keep our solidity but give us real options going forwards. 

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

8 minutes ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

To be fair, if we stick at this 3 CMs system, I’d like to see Bannan play as well as Reach in the middle of the park. With Pelupessy/Jones as the deeper of the three. 

Bannan is at his best when he’s further up the park, and his form turned to crap as soon as he started dropping deeper and deeper. He’s been at his weakest when he’s just stuck on our CBs toes trying to play those damn 50 metre Hollywood diagonals that come off once every 6 games.  

Bannan and Reach with somebody shielding the back 4...yes please. Would keep our solidity but give us real options going forwards. 

Honestly, Bannan was great when he played this season, but he is slowing us down by wanting too much time on the ball. In my opinion Reach is more efficient, and gives better tempo to our attacking play.

Then again, we will have to find place for Bannan in our starting 11. It would be insane to keep player of his quality on the bench. 

41 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

As good as Bannan is he needs to be kept away from our side we’re better without him. Doesn’t fit. 

Reach alongside Hutch for me has everything 

Doesn't fit the way Carlos had him playing maybe. But Bannan is the most talented midfielder we have. Can't wait to see what Jos can get out of him.

Reach is by far and away our player of the season which is testament to the character of him given the stick he was getting at the start of the season as he was being sold down the river at LB by Carlos. 

Reach's engine and pace in the CM position are a real asset when we're playing a team where we are looking to break away more, for example against the top sides, away from home or when we're leading. But against sides who sit behind the ball I'd much rather have a Bannan in the middle pulling the strings with Reach doing more damage from the wide positions. 

If he adds more goals to his game I could see him getting much deserved interest from the Premier League, he is only 25 as well.

6 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:
That's where he needs to stay.

He's getting better and better in the middle, and his energy in there is a huge positive for us at the moment.

He's wasted at LB and a good option for LM, but for me, in the middle is his spot.

He'd also be my captain too.

Build the team around this lad.

Top, top player and I'm delighted he's proved some fans wrong.

Just want to show some appreciation for this guy. Came with a fairly hefty price tag, young lad, lots of pressure and was given dogs abuse only up until recently but I'm so glad he's proven people wrong.

Personally I think he's a great footballer, he's intelligent, amazing engine on him and I think he's played virtually every game since he arrived in various positions without spitting the dummy out. He will only get better and I agree a team should be built around him.

Well done Reachy boy! 

within 24  hours we've gone from missing bannan big time to now not needing him .......this team isn't that good that it doesn't need barry bannan in it  or garry hooper,FF,hutch, tom lees ,Kieron lee . ....with that lot added and jos getting the best out of them (which i'm sure he will ) then I think things are looking good for  next season 

2 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

As long as he is part of a midfield three he will keep flourishing.

But not at left back or as an out and out winger in a 4-4-2.

This is coming from the guy who called him the biggest waste of money in our history earlier in the season.

Far from the worst thing you have ever said on here.

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

within 24  hours we've gone from missing bannan big time to now not needing him .......this team isn't that good that it doesn't need barry bannan in it  or garry hooper,FF,hutch, tom lees ,Kieron lee . ....with that lot added and jos getting the best out of them (which i'm sure he will ) then I think things are looking good for  next season 

Dude at work actually said that Bannan was finished with us at work today.

I suggested he may flourish in the current setup, being set free to be behind the strikers receiving the ball, instead of in front of the defenders receiving the ball and I was shot down in flames.

I still think my point was valid.   Do your football in the right area on the pitch and you may well just be effective. 

Smug as hell that I stuck to my guns through some reyt negs, cheerleading him from day one. Always convinced he’d come good, so glad it seems to be happening. Not denying he had some shockers first few months but I was always convinced he was exactly what we’d been missing in terms of his really well-rounded midfield skill set. The fact he’s emerging as a bit of a motivational leader is just the icing on the cake, never saw that coming if I’m honest.

He’s doing great, long may it continue. At this rate we might actually have had another club’s pants down for £4m, imagine that.

next season options  at it stands

goalie  joe , westy, cammy 

back 4 ..hunt ,palmer , lees,van aken, pudil, fred(if we sign him) ,hutch, thorniley ,fox , reach ,penney , boyd 

defensive mid field ...hutch , jones , pelupessy  

attacking midfield ... boyd , lee, bannan , abdi, reach , clare , FF 

forwards ......winnall, Rhodes , hooper , FF, dave , joao, matias ,fletch

left out Wallace and loovens coz I think they'll be released 

that lot playing to what ever  system jos chooses would be a handful for any team in this division .....the tricky part is getting them all fit 

I don't do I told you so but.....

He doesn't have the physical attributes to be a real threat out wide. Full backs are too quick and nimble mostly. Against slow CM'S/DCM's though he will run past them all day. Said it a long time ago he should have been KL's understudy.

With regard to Bannan, we will now see what appetite he's got because his place in the side is no longer certain. I would love to see him further up the pitch, I think he does his best work there.