Adam Reach in the middle of the park

Whoa! Steady on peeps!  Reach has been our best player overall this season, but let's have a bit of perspective.  He did have an extremely good game on Tuesday, but we generally play well against "better" teams that actually come to try and win the game, rather than not lose.  Forest, L**ds, and Derby are all examples of this.  Reach was also up against a player in Huddleston that the Spurs fans used to call "Two-ton Tess" all those years ago.  Like the rest of us, he hasn't got any slimmer or faster over the years!  The sight of him struggling in Reach's wake still makes me chuckle, and it was one of those nights that all ageing footballers dread for him.  That is to say, everything was in Reach's favour on the night, and to be fair to him, he took full advantage of that.  I think that he will need to perform to that standard against much more cagey opponents, and/or away from home, before he becomes the new "Zidane".  His legs are important to the side, but for us to get to where we want to be, his level of mobility should be the average, rather than outstanding.  Too much of Carlos' style seemed to revolve around standing around admiring a Hollywood pass; that's what we need to move on from.  The (enforced) use of youngsters shows what can be achieved if we keep our energy levels and sheer desire high.

:ghoulguy:

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Think I'm in the minority here but I kind of disagree.  He's had some absolute storming games in the middle such as against Derby the other night but he's also had some stinkers too such as against Barnsley.  I like him out wide as his crossing ability is superb.  I agree he's a crap full back but I think he's perfect for the wing back role.  At the moment we are short so I'd leave him there but long term I'm not sold yet.  

I wouldn't have him as captain either.  Not vocal enough and I like a centre half to be my captain.

This is not meant as a criticism either to you or Reach.  Can see your point and I think everyone agees that Reach has come on leaps and bounds this season and is probably our player of the year, but I'm still not sure about the permanent position change.

Agree with this to me Reach is first and foremost a winger and although his defending is not up to scratch I still think he is better suited to the wing back role.

50 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I love that sort of ball he spanked out to Hunt for Joaos first goal.

I love the movement he showed for the second. After spreading the ball out to Pudil, his first thought is to run into the space between. He gives Huddlestone the right run around. Joao drops into the space in between centre half and dcm and when Joao strikes the ball, Reach is level with him meaning he's occupying the other dcm. So instead of one dcm (Ledley) standing him up and the other dcm (Huddlestone) nipping in and robbing the ball, Joao has only Ledley to make a mug of. It's really basic simple stuff but without the midfield 'runner' it's difficult to do.

Said it ages ago, midfield needs a buzzer, floater, spreader and a runner. For ages and definitely without KL, we were missing the runner.

14 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

No we're not

Ok put it this way Bannan is an attacking midfielder he’s best work comes when he’s in the final third.... not as a quarter back in cm or in the lm role where he’s restricted. Think we can all agree on that. So in CCs 442 he didn’t have his best position available.

However, how many assist and goals does he get ??? Not many which is key to the attacking midfield role. 

I stick to my point we’re a better side without him.

I suspect we are going to see a lot more variety and flexibility of formation and personnel under Jos. We are all so used to a set formation and a largely set starting XI under Carlos that we are still pigeon-holing players.

The formation that is working nicely with the current troops might bear little resemblance to the formation Jos will adopt when say Bannan, Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher etc begin to creep back.

I am increasingly optimistic under Jos.

As for Reach I am delighted for him and for us that he has proved so many doubters so wrong. Going to play at a very high level is Adam.

28 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Ok put it this way Bannan is an attacking midfielder he’s best work comes when he’s in the final third.... not as a quarter back in cm or in the lm role where he’s restricted. Think we can all agree on that. So in CCs 442 he didn’t have his best position available.

However, how many assist and goals does he get ??? Not many which is key to the attacking midfield role. 

I think he'd flourish in this system.  Though he might have to wait for a chance.

3 hours ago, cookeh said:

To be fair he came here having spent a season at left mid and left back at Preston. He'd never kicked a ball in center mid before Jos moved him in there.

Leaves me less inclined to blame Carlos for playing what seemed to be a round peg in a round hole, and instead praise Jos for seeing the potential for Reach in the middle.

If i remember correctly. Reach prominently played the number 10 role with Preston. Also if I remember correctly he played there against us and that’s what caught Carlos’s eye 

1 hour ago, owlse said:

If i remember correctly. Reach prominently played the number 10 role with Preston. Also if I remember correctly he played there against us and that’s what caught Carlos’s eye 

Played a handful off the front man, yeah. Not as a box to box central mid tho.

Played a lot more as a left back for them than as a number 10 tho. Bulk of his time was wide left in a 442.

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

.just about everything we did in an attacking sense under carlos started way back in our own half with bannan so it's difficult for him to play the final pass that leads to a goal from that starting position ....he doesn't score many i'll grant you but then he wouldn't as he hardly ever got in the opposites penalty area that was lee's job . i'm sure when he comes back he'll be playing a far different role than he's previously played . .....clare played well the other night but it's a big call on one appearance to say we are a better side with him in rather than bannan . jos may well go with 4-2-3-1 when everyone is back and a 3 of reach, lee, bannan looks pretty strong to me ..........but whatever he does if we can get them all fit then I think with this bloke in charge we are in for good year or two . 

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

.just about everything we did in an attacking sense under carlos started way back in our own half with bannan so it's difficult for him to play the final pass that leads to a goal from that starting position ....he doesn't score many i'll grant you but then he wouldn't as he hardly ever got in the opposites penalty area that was lee's job . i'm sure when he comes back he'll be playing a far different role than he's previously played . .....clare played well the other night but it's a big call on one appearance to say we are a better side with him in rather than bannan . jos may well go with 4-2-3-1 when everyone is back and a 3 of reach, lee, bannan looks pretty strong to me ..........but whatever he does if we can get them all fit then I think with this bloke in charge we are in for good year or two . 

I’m not saying Clare over Bannan mate and you make good points but I do honestly believe we’re better without. Personally I hope he sticks with the 3 but goes 343 so can have a front three from Forestieri Hooper Matias and Joao. Reach or Lee in the middle with Hutch or Pelupessy. Granted we wouldn’t be able to do that all the time but that would be my preference. Leaving us to cash in on Bannan !!