Matias v Jeffers

Got some negs for my post in the Matias injured for 3 weeks thread for saying he was the worst signing in Wednesday history - imo worse than Jeffers.

Why?

Francis Jeffers

2007-10 (3 seasons)

App 51

Goals 5 

Marco Matias

2015 - present (2.5 seasons so far)

App 21

Goals 3

I'm not sure on the fees paid but given that Matias was placed at approx 3m euros I'd say he cost around 5 or 6 times what we paid for Jeffers. When he signed Jeffers there was no way we were paying even 1m for a player. 

Oh and just for clarity, we signed this utter useless waste of air on a 4 year deal so he'll continue stealing a living for another season after this one.

Only thing going for him is that if he could possibly manage to stand up on 2 legs again at some point this season he could possibly bag another couple of goals and equal the contribution of Jeffers. 

Edited by poite

Well 3mill euros will have been about £2.5mill. Jeffers was signed about 7-8 years before. For £1mill I believe. Transfer market says £950k.

In today's market I'd argue Jeffers fee would actually be much more than what we played for Marco. So even if we don't account for inflation and how overpriced the market is now, to say he was 5-6 times more expensive is just fabrication. 

You can also see the quality he has, Jeffers didn't have that.

He's had a bad time with injuries and he hasn't contributed enough. He was also one of many seemingly frozen out by Carlos. 

Not been good enough so far, but I'd argue there's something their and he's had awful bad luck.

So an out and our goal scorer in Jeffers who had very  little else to his game scores 1 in 10. Compare this to Matias who can play wide and is more creative scores 1 in 7 is an argument to prove Jeffers wasn’t as bad? 

Jeffers was worse and anyone who has seen both him and Matias who thinks otherwise is, quite frankly, plain wrong. 

I can’t recall any player lazier and with a worse attitude for us than Francis Jeffers. Matias showed more against Reading than Jeffers did in his entire time with us. 

29 minutes ago, poite said:

Got some negs for my post in the Matias injured for 3 weeks thread for saying he was the worst signing in Wednesday history - imo worse than Jeffers.

Why?

Francis Jeffers

2007-10 (3 seasons)

App 51

Goals 5 

Marco Matias

App 21

Goals 3

I'm not sure on the fees paid but given that Matias was placed at approx 3m euros I'd say he cost around 5 or 6 times what we paid for Jeffers. When he signed Jeffers there was no way we were paying even 1m for a player. 

Oh and just for clarity, we signed this utter useless waste of air on a 4 year deal so he'll continue stealing a living for another season after this one.

Only thing going for him is that if he could possibly manage to stand up on 2 legs again at some point this season he could possibly bag another couple of goals and equal the contribution of Jeffers. 

WTF?

FFS.

30 minutes ago, poite said:

Why?

Francis Jeffers

2007-10 (3 seasons)

App 51

Goals 5 

Marco Matias

App 21

Goals 3

Westwood has had way more appearances than either.

Goals 0

Must be the worst signing ever.

You cannot compare strikers and midfield players on goals scored.

Otherwise Bannan will be out the door in the morning.

FFS.

• Haha 1

The key to this is worst player or worst signing, there is a significant difference. Although neither for me qualify for either category. I found Jeffers more frustrating because he played more games and I never rated him. But how many Danny Wilson players beat these as worst player or signing. 

37 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

So an out and our goal scorer in Jeffers who had very  little else to his game scores 1 in 10. Compare this to Matias who can play wide and is more creative scores 1 in 7 is an argument to prove Jeffers wasn’t as bad? 

Jeffers was worse and anyone who has seen both him and Matias who thinks otherwise is, quite frankly, plain wrong. 

I can’t recall any player lazier and with a worse attitude for us than Francis Jeffers. Matias showed more against Reading than Jeffers did in his entire time with us. 

How he plays and where he plays is irrelevant.

He has played 109 Championship minutes this season.

He played 62 minutes last year.

If you were being unbelievably charitable, that’s bad luck. More likely he is way too fragile for the Championship.

You do wonder if it will ever happen for Matias here. It looks from the outside looking in that he isn’t physically up to the demands of the cut and thrust of Championship football. Which is a shame as he does seem to have some talent and offer something different to the much of a muchness we generally have in the squad.

55 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

You do wonder if it will ever happen for Matias here. It looks from the outside looking in that he isn’t physically up to the demands of the cut and thrust of Championship football. Which is a shame as he does seem to have some talent and offer something different to the much of a muchness we generally have in the squad.

He doesn’t seem to be physically up to the demands of training.

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

How he plays and where he plays is irrelevant.

He has played 109 Championship minutes this season.

He played 62 minutes last year.

If you were being unbelievably charitable, that’s bad luck. More likely he is way too fragile for the Championship.

When the OP is quoting goal scoring stats then where a player plays is totally relevant. Doesn't really say much for a player like Jeffers who's main function was goal scoring when he has a worse goals per game record than a player like Matias who has also played as a wide player.

Best example of why position is completely relevant......Frank Lampard. Goal scoring record if he was a forward....OK.....as a midfielder.....tremendous. So position is relevant.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Cant argue that Matias has been a waste of money.

But I think what makes Jeffers worse is the fact £1m at the time was Wednesdays entire transfer budget.

It was but Jeffers was purported to have cost about 700K of it. The rest was made up of Sodje and few other odds and ends. Sodje cost considerably less, had more heart and scored a few more though he wasn't that good either.

Let's face it, recruitment over the last couple of years has been woeful, with the odd exception such as Reach, and whilst our weaknesses haven't been addressed we are reaching the limit of our spending power due to FFP (or whatever they call it now). Jos is left with a squad of kna**ered players, on high wages, who we are going to struggle to move on. Wasted opportunity and start building from the foundations again. I hope next season we start, in this Division, with a fully fit squad who are able to play most of the season  - but the way this lot keep picking up injuries and repeatedly go missing for months, I doubt it. 

Strange thread...

Matias is a crock, but he’d have to bottle a header from 4 yards out - in a relegation decider - for me to consider him comparable to Fanny Jeffers. 

Suppose there's still time...