Matias v Jeffers

5 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Let's face it, recruitment over the last couple of years has been woeful, with the odd exception such as Reach, and whilst our weaknesses haven't been addressed we are reaching the limit of our spending power due to FFP (or whatever they call it now). Jos is left with a squad of kna**ered players, on high wages, who we are going to struggle to move on. Wasted opportunity and start building from the foundations again. I hope next season we start, in this Division, with a fully fit squad who are able to play most of the season  - but the way this lot keep picking up injuries and repeatedly go missing for months, I doubt it. 

I think a lot of fans think this season was just a one off where everything that can go wrong has and next season we will be challenging in the top half of the table again.

I hope they are right but honestly think we will be nowhere near the play offs again next season.

The reason why Jeffers always sticks out as particularly bad signing was his poor attitude.  IMO we haven’t signed anyone since then that has displayed such a rotten commitment to the cause, even Bothroyd was a step-up on him.

But we’ve had plenty of recruits under the Chansiri and Carvalhal era, that would rival Jeffers in terms of being frequently-injured, or highly-paid disastrous signings:

Abdi

Buckley

Boyd

Emanuelson

Lachman

Matias

McGeady

McGugan

McManaman

Melo

Turner

Van Aken

All the above, to date, have been a complete waste of money.  Thankfully the majority are now off the wage-bill.

I know that all clubs have some signings that don’t come off for whatever reason, and players don’t get picked to play, if they are down on the pecking order.  I get that.  But all of the above were brought in either for large transfer fees, or with a CV of having the sort of pedigree where you’d expect them to be earning a Premiership wage.

That list is far too many - DC has only been here 3 years.  And then fans wonder how we are in the sh*t with FFP.

Say what you like about the usual scapegoats; Reach, Rhodes, Fox, Nuhiu etc.  At least these lads have kept themselves fit, available to play and have been regularly involved in games, while they have been at Wednesday.

9 minutes ago, The Captain said:

The reason why Jeffers always sticks out as particularly bad signing was his poor attitude.  IMO we haven’t signed anyone since then that has displayed such a rotten commitment to the cause, even Bothroyd was a step-up on him.

But we’ve had plenty of recruits under the Chansiri and Carvalhal era, that would rival Jeffers in terms of being frequently-injured, or highly-paid disastrous signings:

Say what you like about the usual scapegoats; Reach, Rhodes, Fox, Nuhiu etc.  At least these lads have kept themselves fit, available to play and have been regularly involved in games, while they have been at Wednesday.

I think you make a fair point regarding Reach, Rhodes etc, but I think it's a bit harsh on Boyd. I like his energy and he hardly missed a game at his pr vious club.

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Bit early to judge Van Aken. 

4 million is nothing in today’s market Tbf. 

It’s also a bit early to judge Boyd as well, which is why I made it clear in my post that I am just listing signings that have barely contributed to date.

Hopefully they will both come good.  Not their fault that they’ve been injured.

But we’re 2/3rds through the season now, and they’ve both done nothing to justify the club’s signing of them thus far.  As a paying supporter, that’s hugely frustrating given what was expected of them when they signed in the summer.

4 million quid might be nothing to some clubs.  And yes, we needed to sign at least a couple of centre-backs in the summer.  But I don’t think we are one of those clubs that just dish out transfer fees like that without expecting immediate good quality performances in return.  4 million quid is a major investment for a club that are supposed to be close to FFP limits.

Van Aken has shown that he is clearly decent at passing (but not really defending), in the few games that he has played.  But that’s all we’ve seen of his potential so far.

And at that price, you expect the finished article at Championship level.  There were cheaper, better value Championship-proven defenders available last summer.

5 minutes ago, doubleo said:

I think you make a fair point regarding Reach, Rhodes etc, but I think it's a bit harsh on Boyd. I like his energy and he hardly missed a game at his pr vious club.

See above.

It’s typical that Boyd has had so many seasons of being a regular starter at other clubs.  Then comes here, gets injured straight away and then is out for half a season.

There’s every reason to believe that Boyd will come good for us.  And now he’s available again, and with us having so many absentees, I expect him to be a regular starter.

But so far, based on nothing else other than what he’s done this season, he must start putting in some big performances, otherwise fans will start writing him off as a flop.

12 hours ago, OasisOwl72 said:

So an out and our goal scorer in Jeffers who had very  little else to his game scores 1 in 10. Compare this to Matias who can play wide and is more creative scores 1 in 7 is an argument to prove Jeffers wasn’t as bad? 

Jeffers was worse and anyone who has seen both him and Matias who thinks otherwise is, quite frankly, plain wrong. 

I can’t recall any player lazier and with a worse attitude for us than Francis Jeffers. Matias showed more against Reading than Jeffers did in his entire time with us. 

Agreed with most of this, however I would argue that Jay Bothroyd was not only lazier, but had a much worse attitude. 

Suitably fitted the name ‘Slothroyd’ that was given to him by the fans. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Bit early to judge Van Aken. 

4 million is nothing in today’s market Tbf. 

He didn't cost £4 million, the total cost including all clauses (you'd imagine that includes a promotion fee) came to €4 million. To date it's probably more like £3 million

2 hours ago, doubleo said:

Let's face it, recruitment over the last couple of years has been woeful, with the odd exception such as Reach, and whilst our weaknesses haven't been addressed we are reaching the limit of our spending power due to FFP (or whatever they call it now). Jos is left with a squad of kna**ered players, on high wages, who we are going to struggle to move on. Wasted opportunity and start building from the foundations again. I hope next season we start, in this Division, with a fully fit squad who are able to play most of the season  - but the way this lot keep picking up injuries and repeatedly go missing for months, I doubt it. 

And even Reach on these pages we criticised him heavily for about a year. It was only in his second year that he started to kick on.

1 hour ago, Pompeyowl said:

Agreed with most of this, however I would argue that Jay Bothroyd was not only lazier, but had a much worse attitude. 

Suitably fitted the name ‘Slothroyd’ that was given to him by the fans. 

It was a close call with Bothroyd but Jeffers swung it as he was with us longer and how he bottled that header v Palace in relegation game. Both had appalling attitudes when with us.

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Strange thread...

Matias is a crock, but he’d have to bottle a header from 4 yards out - in a relegation decider - for me to consider him comparable to Fanny Jeffers. 

Suppose there's still time...

I remember this clear as day, sat right behind the goal, palace defenders looked very strong, realised then we weren't going to get many more chances... couldn't believe he hadn't made contact