#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

@JPercyTelegraph: Benfica's Joao Carvalho and Diogo Goncalves are flying in tonight for medicals at #nffc on Thursday. Midfielder Carvalho will be a club record deal at around £13.2m while Goncalves, a striker, is joining on loan for the season.

Forest back at the beginning of the spend cycle..

7 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

@JPercyTelegraph: Benfica's Joao Carvalho and Diogo Goncalves are flying in tonight for medicals at #nffc on Thursday. Midfielder Carvalho will be a club record deal at around £13.2m while Goncalves, a striker, is joining on loan for the season.

Their eagerness to sign Butterfield shows just how much of a force they'll be this season. 

Edit: sorry, that should read farce

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Are you always in the kitchen at parties?

Hold on, that was the doomsday scenario, if we were stupid enough to contemplate selling our better players However, as DC has already reassured us, as a payback for continued high end ticket prices, we will be keeping our better players

I’m happy with that, even if it means minimal investment in new players 

For me, keeping our better players is paramount

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Hold on, that was the doomsday scenario, if we were stupid enough to contemplate selling our better players However, as DC has already reassured us, as a payback for continued high end ticket prices, we will be keeping our better players

I’m happy with that, even if it means minimal investment in new players 

For me, keeping our better players is paramount

Plus the kitchen is where the beers are anyway :ghoulguy:

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

So far:

Andy Yiadom
Fabio
Tom Beugelsdijk

All of whom would have improved our back line.

Yiadom? The only way that he would improve us is that he is better than Liam Palmer, and therefore would improve our bench. If you relate our success in the transfer market to whether we improve our replacements, then yes he would. But my idea of a good signing is someone who would improve our first team, and Yiadom is half the player that Jack Hunt is.

Fabio was only ever after a Premier League move, and failing that he was always going to stay at Boro. That comparison is akin to saying that most Championship teams and all League one teams are disappointed to have missed out on signing Nuhiu.

And I'll reserve judgment on Beugelsdijk as I don't know him or the situation, but i am tempered by your previous claims of transfer-market failings to think that he a) would improve us, or b) is even an option! 

52 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

You'd think they would have learned from last time when they had a transfer embargo!

That's a crazy price for a Championship club, especially one without parachute payments. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Worked for Wolves. 

Fair point, but suspect their outlay would have been a fraction of what the player should actually have cost, given their agent links with additional payment terms kicking in on promotion.

30 minutes ago, striker said:

You'd think they would have learned from last time when they had a transfer embargo!

That's a crazy price for a Championship club, especially one without parachute payments. 

It's almost certainly the route we'll be taking.

9 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'll be amazed if our transfer budget stretches to 3 million let alone 13.

I'd imagine there'll be a little bit of money available, probably around the £3-4m mark you say. 

Remember, FFP spend is amortised. So if we spend £3m on a player on a 3 year deal, only £1m will be deducted off this seasons allocation. 

What we eventually spend will very much be dictated by what we can recoup. If we can bring in £6-8m in by selling a couple of the likes of Abdi, Winnall, Westwood, Fletcher etc.  then I'm sure funds will be added to Jos' budget. But again, those fees will be amortised. 

But to tow the line with FFP, it's the wages that we need to reduce. And the main targets with that include Rhodes, Abdi, Boyd, Fletcher, Westwood (all of whom are on in excess of £20k/week, and none of which are nailed on starters). E.g. if can loan out Rhodes and get a team to cover say 60-70% of wage, that £20-25k a week, equates to pure £1-1.5m saved (plus a sizeable loan fee) with regards FFP. Ridding Rhodes and perhaps Westwood and Winnall (an easy target, decent fee £3-4m, and £16k/week for a player surplus to requirements), could well be enough to see us achieve the FFP limits...and without weakening the squad much at all.

5 hours ago, cookeh said:

So far:

Andy Yiadom
Fabio
Tom Beugelsdijk

All of whom would have improved our back line.

I find this a remarkable statement. Jos outlined what type of player we wamted all of these are older than profile Jos outlined.  Our squad is way too old.

A journeyman Dutch centre half is named and anyone who watched any games on Sky will know standard of Dutch football is poor and defending terrible. Further to this we know Jos looked for out of contract players in Dutch league in January. Do you seriously think he would be unaware of this chap and if he was any good we would have tried for him. Van Aken illustrates what Dutch defending standard is like at present.

Fabio is on high wages and I think not value for money..He was dreadful in play offs.

Yiadom only one to be even worth consideration in he is on low wages but not better than Hunt emergence of Baker probably means we do not need right back..

I could only describe your statement as complete and utter garbage.

4 hours ago, DuncOwl said:

Yiadom? The only way that he would improve us is that he is better than Liam Palmer, and therefore would improve our bench. If you relate our success in the transfer market to whether we improve our replacements, then yes he would. But my idea of a good signing is someone who would improve our first team, and Yiadom is half the player that Jack Hunt is.

Fabio was only ever after a Premier League move, and failing that he was always going to stay at Boro. That comparison is akin to saying that most Championship teams and all League one teams are disappointed to have missed out on signing Nuhiu.

And I'll reserve judgment on Beugelsdijk as I don't know him or the situation, but i am tempered by your previous claims of transfer-market failings to think that he a) would improve us, or b) is even an option! 

Is Yaidom  not a left back so would be a massive improvement in the one we have Fox

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'll be amazed if our transfer budget stretches to 3 million let alone 13.

Not this summer.. Once we've ditched some high earners and stabilised the accounts again. 3 years time...

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

I'd imagine there'll be a little bit of money available, probably around the £3-4m mark you say. 

Remember, FFP spend is amortised. So if we spend £3m on a player on a 3 year deal, only £1m will be deducted off this seasons allocation. 

What we eventually spend will very much be dictated by what we can recoup. If we can bring in £6-8m in by selling a couple of the likes of Abdi, Winnall, Westwood, Fletcher etc.  then I'm sure funds will be added to Jos' budget. But again, those fees will be amortised. 

But to tow the line with FFP, it's the wages that we need to reduce. And the main targets with that include Rhodes, Abdi, Boyd, Fletcher, Westwood (all of whom are on in excess of £20k/week, and none of which are nailed on starters). E.g. if can loan out Rhodes and get a team to cover say 60-70% of wage, that £20-25k a week, equates to pure £1-1.5m saved (plus a sizeable loan fee) with regards FFP. Ridding Rhodes and perhaps Westwood and Winnall (an easy target, decent fee £3-4m, and £16k/week for a player surplus to requirements), could well be enough to see us achieve the FFP limits...and without weakening the squad much at all.

The other problem is that wages and players fees are only going one way, it's getting ridiculous when championship players are earning £40k per week. When we finally have some of the dead wood out of contract end of next season, their wages will seem cheap!