#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

11 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Nixon saying something we all already know. 

we aint signing no one unless we can get rid of Rhodes. 

To be fair to Nixon, he’s only saying it because people pester him for information.

I have a feeling that the season will be one for rebuilding the squad. Jos will see what he now has available and takes the time to see what he really needs. Maybe has some PL loans coming in now and then start refreshing the squad in January and get rid of the deadwood in summer. 2019/20 is the one to seriously hunt the promotion in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Kean never played 

Loovens same 

Wallace injured 

Clare potential that's it

Venancio is a loss imo 

However we have Westwood, Van Aken, Thorniley with some experience, Lee, Hooper, Matias, Abdi and Fletcher all back in training.

That's not a smaller squad in any way shape or form.

Hopefully add a CB and LB before season starts I'd be happy with that then bonus if available CM, RB & tricky RW but without those 3 or 5 I'm still confident as with some luck injury wise the squads good enough for a top 6 challenge.

Lol i almost believed you were being serious then, you had me going until you said without those addition we'll finish top 6.

Good effort, but not this time sunshine.

7 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Fletcher is not static, very mobile and runs the channels. How he compares to Hugill in that regard I’m not sure as I’ve not seen enough of Hugill but to say Fletcher is immobile is nonsense 

I never said Fletcher is immobile, but he prefers to have the ball at his feet, Hugill almost prefers to chase it down 

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Jack Harrison at Man City on loan should be a target IMO.

Young RW who would compliment FF nicely in an attacking 3.

Wouldn’t object if we just signed a few players like that this summer

Play entertaining football, develop young players and stay away from relegation. Whilst trying to offload the fringe players. 

Then next summer we’ll be in a much better financial situation when some big earners contracts are up 

11 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Nottingham Forest have confirmed the signing of goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon on a permanent deal.

The 31-year-old has signed a three-year deal at The City Ground and joins the club for an undisclosed fee.

There throwing some serious coin about, another top signing 

This is nonsense, that nothing can happen until we get Rhodes out Meanwhile there are plenty of other players who could go out, either on permanent deals, or loans

The piggies have managed to get 13 of their squad out without too much difficulty  

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This is nonsense, that nothing can happen until we get Rhodes out Meanwhile there are plenty of other players who could go out, either on permanent deals, or loans

The piggies have managed to get 13 of their squad out without too much difficulty  

If we're to continue with 3-4-3, then we need to replace Wallace with a pacy wide forward to compliment Fernando, on the other side of Nuhiu

Jos resorted to Joao in role and he did ok, but we'd clearly need another

Annnnyyway, in that formation, I doubt we need 3 short & slow poachers. Maybe even 2 of these will have to go ...

Rhodes 

Winnall

Hooper 

Who is going to attract most buyers? 

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

You are correct we need to offload players and it could be quite a number of individuals we would like to see the back off. We are a good employer who pays very good wages and most of them that could go are over 30 and have poor appearance record. Not many clubs will be queueing to take players on top wages. This is why previous manager received strong criticism from some quarters as transfer policy was ridiculous. It will not be easy to get out of. My guess why Rhodes is mentioned is funds released by his move will cover expenditure of incoming players we want to sign.

4 minutes ago, Quist said:

You are correct we need to offload players and it could be quite a number of individuals we would like to see the back off. We are a good employer who pays very good wages and most of them that could go are over 30 and have poor appearance record. Not many clubs will be queueing to take players on top wages. This is why previous manager received strong criticism from some quarters as transfer policy was ridiculous. It will not be easy to get out of. My guess why Rhodes is mentioned is funds released by his move will cover expenditure of incoming players we want to sign.

Sadly you are probably right. Maybe I wouldn’t put it all on the previous managers toes, it obviously was part of the clubs misguided “quick fix” plan 

Thats not to say he didn’t have a role to play though 

Paying over the top wages, to over the hill players, was a reckless policy, especially when it came at the expense of neglecting  our finest young talent

7 hours ago, camffiti said:

If we're to continue with 3-4-3, then we need to replace Wallace with a pacy wide forward to compliment Fernando, on the other side of Nuhiu

Jos resorted to Joao in role and he did ok, but we'd clearly need another

Annnnyyway, in that formation, I doubt we need 3 short & slow poachers. Maybe even 2 of these will have to go ...

Rhodes 

Winnall

Hooper 

Who is going to attract most buyers? 

Winnall is still injured and nobody will buy a player currently recovering from cruciate ligament injury. It has just dawned on him that no future at Derby for him and will after sort out Wednesday future.

Hooper still injured with a groin problem. This is a real worry as a soft tissue injury should have healed in 6 months. Joint problems do take longer but Lee and Fletcher both completed week 1 ok.  Hooper had a problem. He has on average only played 30 games a season for last 6 years. No body would take him on with that record on top wages. Any physiotherapists on here know about groin injuries and how serious if still unfit after nearly 7 months.

Think its unbelievably hard moving some players at club.

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Sadly you are probably right. Maybe I wouldn’t put it all on the previous managers toes, it obviously was part of the clubs misguided “quick fix” plan 

Thats not to say he didn’t have a role to play though 

Paying over the top wages, to over the hill players, was a reckless policy, especially when it came at the expense of neglecting  our finest young talent

I agree, though I think we had the players to achieve promotion last year to secure promotion. Unfortunately we had a manager who, in spite of having quality forwards in abundance decided the best way to beat Huddersfield was playing ultra defensively. Ultimately it was this that caused the 'quick fix' approach to fail. It was always a high risk strategy, however, with failure bound to result in serious financial implications.  

The bottom line is that we have some quality players, unfortunately a good number of these can't be relied on to be available for enough of the season. 

FFP restricts us from going out and replacing these players while still under contract, hence the balancing act this season and predicament we have.