The Wednesday Tap

3 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Son and his mate tried to get in last home match before xmas around 1pm.

They had driven straight from finishing their night shift at their RAF base and wanted a drink and a snack.

Bouncer said my son could come in as he had his season ticket, but his mate, who showed him is membership card and was going to buy a ticket later, was refused entry.

Both say they are never going to darken its doorstep.

God forbid we should make it easy for people. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's a strange one

Is it a season ticket holders bar then?

Do members not class as Wednesday fans? 

What's the policy?

And what's the policy midweek/daytimes?

What if they're turning away local people who are members of SWFC that they will rely on to stay open midweek?

Not sure what it's like midweek, but they do ask to see your season ticket / match ticket when going in on matchdays.

1 minute ago, Kanye West said:

Not sure what it's like midweek, but they do ask to see your season ticket / match ticket when going in on matchdays.

Yeah that's fair enough

I find it utterly bizarre that they'd turn someone away with a club membership card though

That makes no logical sense whatsoever

Owlstalk Shop

Went in before the Boro game with 3 mates. 

Arranged to meet some more in there but they weren't allowed in without tickets. 

Even when a lad with an ST went out to vouch for them, not only were they still not allowed in they didn't want to let the ST holder back in!

All very strange.

Beer was OK. Wednesday went off and took them ages to pull it back through. One old boy waiting to get served had to tell them how to do it.

Service generally slow.

Seems a bizarre decision to open on non-match days to be honest. Can't we that there's sufficient business. Also strange that they don't let kids in.

We're sticking to the Shakey from now on.

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's a strange one

Is it a season ticket holders bar then?

Do members not class as Wednesday fans? 

What's the policy?

And what's the policy midweek/daytimes?

What if they're turning away local people who are members of SWFC that they will rely on to stay open midweek?

I think the security men need re-briefing. they must have been told its home fans only on production of a match ticket (on match days)

Went in after the Boro game, a good crowd in drowning sorrows and watching the pigs game at Villa

Decent beer and not too bad prices. Seating arrangements are a bit strange, some uncomfortable hard wooden benches

Nobody checked if we had tickets for the game, presumably policy only applies pre game to restrict numbers

Is there any admittance  info then ? or do you have to tip up find out you cant get in and chances of returning zero 

We went in the 1867 after the Burton game ( well with about 10 mins left )    could see people queuing for the Tap but we had a young lad with us .

Went up to the main entrance , was invited in by a polite guy wearing a suit ordered 3 pints of Wednesday ale and watched the rest of the game on TV 

Apparently the Tap does not let you in until the game has finished . 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I'm more than happy to speak to whomever is in charge of The Wednesday Tap to get all the info we need to help make this a smooth happy success.

I'll see if I can find out who to speak to and post the info in this thread if I can get it 

Isn't it Jim Harrisons company ?

Problem is it's completely invisible to any passing trade. Nobody except 15K bored Wednesday fans will have even heard of it.

Anyone remember the Stands pub from the 80s? Kop/South Stand corner.

Maybe go down that route and have 7 pool tables, no natural light and compulsory glassings in the bogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went in for the first time pre Burton debacle , it’s a good idea so won’t knock the club for that . 

My local side Mansfield has a similar sized bar that does food all week , has sky and does things like quiz nights and other themes . Club could do worse than following their model . 

Depsite what some think on here , I won’t knock the club for things they are doing right , I just can’t think of anything else they aren’t stuffing up ! This , though , is a good idea 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

In all seriousness if it was open during the daytime and had blistering fast free wi-fi I'd nip down every day and base myself there and work from it.

Even if it was quiet or I was on the only one in

O captain! My captain!

Dead_Poets_Society.jpg

lol

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Got ya.

I might have to nip down there and give it a whirl during the weekdays then

Just seems to me it would be a bit weird going in there and just seeing a barman stood there in an empty place

We need to try and do something to help this place take off because a midweek/daytime thing at the club would be great long term

How about ex-players working behind the bar during the mid-week. That should drag a few in.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I am always thinking about going down there on non matchdays but never do because I'm not actually sure if/why it would be open so end up heading elsewhere.

I can see it taking off eventually but it will take time

I'm really glad it's there though

All the boozers round that area were founded on local custom, and now the local custom has died and along with it many pubs Berhive, Gate etc. The Wednesday Tap is good on paper but will have to think out of the box to get footfall during weekdays.