The Wednesday Tap

Just my two penneth on the entry procedure. Both me and my brother were allowed in pre-match on production of our Membership cards (tickets were loaded onto card so had no paper ticket to produce). Chaps on the door just waved us in, no problem.

Not sure whether we got lucky or the policy has changed (they did ask for tickets though, but as I said, we showed our Membership cards and said the tickets were loaded onto the cards and got in no prob) as this was the first day of opening, or if we just got a decent bouncer with common sense.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

I miss The Gate - my mum was in there all the time and loved it and the people and characters in there

I worked in the Herries Road bus garage back in the day and used to go in the Gate every lunchtime. There were always a few lasses in from Fletchers.  One girl, who used to take the mini-skirt fashion to a whole new level, was leaning over the table to put a couple of drinks down when a dog belonging to another customer decided "That looks worth a sniff".

You have never heard such a shriek, never seen such a jump from a standing start and never seen a drink thrown so far across the room.

Happy days lol

Hope it wasn't your mum.:wacko:

• Haha 1

I've been in a couple of times and it's ok but nothing special. It reminds me of a TV stage bar which is designed to look like a bar but really isn't one. 

Also can't understand why kids are not allowed in before a match, if my daughter gets off YouTube and comes along money goes to the crown instead.

1 hour ago, NormOwl said:

I've been in a couple of times and it's ok but nothing special. It reminds me of a TV stage bar which is designed to look like a bar but really isn't one. 

Also can't understand why kids are not allowed in before a match, if my daughter gets off YouTube and comes along money goes to the crown instead.

gran dkids took me in over xmas, not impressed at 3.90 a pint!!! daylight robbery,

1 hour ago, NormOwl said:

I suspect with this place ‘use it or lose it’ will come into play,  reading the positives and negatives about it I’d say first and foremost some communication lines between thornbridge , the fans and the club need opening 

they need one or two innovative ideas to get footfall midweek, it isn’t easy for the best of pubs around so for these guys it’s definitely Gunna be there biggest challenge 

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Got ya.

I might have to nip down there and give it a whirl during the weekdays then

Just seems to me it would be a bit weird going in there and just seeing a barman stood there in an empty place

We need to try and do something to help this place take off because a midweek/daytime thing at the club would be great long term

Why doesn't  someone at the club come up with some incentives to go there on non matchdays, it does seem strange why it is open at these times, surely some events could be organised for supporters , it needs advertising better that's for sure 

1 minute ago, Watto said:

Why doesn't  someone at the club come up with some incentives to go there on non matchdays, it does seem strange why it is open at these times, surely some events could be organised for supporters , it needs advertising better that's for sure 

Who’s in charge though ? Isn’t it been fronted by Thornbridge ? 

1 minute ago, Watto said:

I'm sure if it's on our premises we could have some say on how it's run, I really don't know, I'm pretty sure though if it's managed correctly it would rather success

Mhmm, I know of a lot of good people who know how to manage pubs that have fallen by the wayside out of the industry because it’s just so hard these days 

People attitudes to drinking/pubs is a million miles away from the days of when popular pubs like the Gate , Travellers and Beehive were successful 

pubs didn’t fail, people just stopped using them 

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Mhmm, I know of a lot of good people who know how to manage pubs that have fallen by the wayside out of the industry because it’s just so hard these days 

People attitudes to drinking/pubs is a million miles away from the days of when popular pubs like the Gate , Travellers and Beehive were successful 

pubs didn’t fail, people just stopped using them 

True, those days have sadly gone forever I'm afraid and not for the better in my eyes 

good pubs survive but they need to diversify

This Wednesday Tap is a tarted up function room at the moment, however it has so much potential.

As it stands if i want a quiet pint i prefer old local feeling pubs like the NBT, if i want to have to shout at mates all night whilst the DJ plays crap i go down town.

Not sure where the Wednesday Tap fits in apart from diversifying with both SWFC and non SWFC related events like other Thornbridge pubs seem to do quite well. Perhaps even @daveyboy66 could put on a northern soul night etc., as long as he doesn't fight with us all ;) 

2 minutes ago, modboy said:

good pubs survive but they need to diversify

This Wednesday Tap is a tarted up function room at the moment, however it has so much potential.

As it stands if i want a quiet pint i prefer old local feeling pubs like the NBT, if i want to have to shout at mates all night whilst the DJ plays crap i go down town.

Not sure where the Wednesday Tap fits in apart from diversifying with both SWFC and non SWFC related events like other Thornbridge pubs seem to do quite well. Perhaps even @daveyboy66 could put on a northern soul night etc., as long as he doesn't fight with us all ;) 

And that for me is what needs to happen here , suggestions like the ones above from the fanbase to the people in charge to make it successful

like you say here, diversifying is an absolute must aswell

all about commmunication here 

massive market for these "old farts" events these days, be it northern soul nights, britpop etc its where the money is. You can see this with events at places such as SoYo and Maggie Mays etc

Forget youngsters get the empty nesters in and they will pay much more than tight students etc.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2017/november/owls-launch-the-wednesday-tap/

I visited the tap on it's opening day after the Hull game with my 12 year old. We were allowed in although I was told by one of the stewards that kids weren't allowed in although as it was the first week it would be ok. It was very busy & to be fair the staff were pulled out. You had to wait about 20 mins to get served. However, it was well worth it to sit and have a nice pint & chat about all things Wednesday, without having to shout across the table. 

However, back to the point about kids, if you look at the link it clearly states that there is a no under 18's policy until after the final whistle, which leads you to believe that kids are allowed. Now, I'm not one of these that takes my kid to the pub pre match & simply allows him to run around shouting. He sits down & doesn't move. Bit like the match really, but there's nothing worse than screaming kids in pubs. parents have to take responsibility.

So, I wrote to the club, and eventually got a reply from Rob Cox in an e-mail and I quote;

"in regards to children,the official stance is no children before kick off, this is to comply with our licensing laws, however once the final whistle has blown, we can allow children in accompanied by an adult"

So, it looks like the message regarding children has not been passed down / clarified.

15 minutes ago, marshy said:

"in regards to children,the official stance is no children before kick off, this is to comply with our licensing lawst"

Fair enough if thats the case as can't go against licensing

But I'm right baffled as to why that bar is literally the only place that kids can't be around alcohol at Hillsborough on matchday, including concourses and corporate areas

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Fair enough if thats the case as can't go against licensing

But I'm right baffled as to why that bar is literally the only place that kids can't be around alcohol at Hillsborough on matchday, including concourses and corporate areas

Yep, it's an odd one. I just wanted clarification regarding kids. But the fact that staff are saying no kids, yet the official site suggests they are but after the final whistle. All very odd.