The Wednesday Tap

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

All the boozers round that area were founded on local custom, and now the local custom has died and along with it many pubs Berhive, Gate etc. The Wednesday Tap is good on paper but will have to think out of the box to get footfall during weekdays.

Absolutely mate

I live about five mins from the ground and gotta say that the Horse and Jockey have it nailed for a lot of locals

I really want this place to succeed but it seems quietly tucked away with nobody knowing much about it yet

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah that's fair enough

I find it utterly bizarre that they'd turn someone away with a club membership card though

That makes no logical sense whatsoever

£50 per season for membership and they're not allowed in. Bizarre. 

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Absolutely mate

I live about five mins from the ground and gotta say that the Horse and Jockey have it nailed for a lot of locals

I really want this place to succeed but it seems quietly tucked away with nobody knowing much about it yet

I used to live in The Gate :biggrin: and it used to struggle through the weekdays, even more so when the Fletchers flour sniffers got stopped from coming in on their breaks. It needs a proper PR/Social Media campaign to make it more appealing through the week to succeed. 

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

I used to live in The Gate :biggrin: and it used to struggle through the weekdays, even more so when the Fletchers flour sniffers got stopped from coming in on their breaks. It needs a proper PR/Social Media campaign to make it more appealing through the week to succeed. 

lol

I miss The Gate - my mum was in there all the time and loved it and the people and characters in there

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Never be a pub like it again IMHO, used to go on the coaches to every away game was a great experience, which side did your Mam drink in

Both!

Mostly the one with the pool table in it (left hand side as you walked in)

Kath

And my stepdad Steve

You may know them or have bumped into them at some point

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Both!

Mostly the one with the pool table in it (left hand side as you walked in)

Kath

And my stepdad Steve

You may know them or have bumped into them at some point

I knew just about everyone in there @casbahowl was another regular, Sunday afternoons used to be a great session, I can remember doing the first all day Sunday session in there.

1 minute ago, modboy said:

Looks too clinical for me, not in a cool hipster way but more a phoenix nights new build.

If they want to do well they need to go down the whole street food route too. Bit like the magic rock tap in Huddersfield

But that’s the point to give it character they need them in there as new builds lack character.

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

But that’s the point to give it character they need them in there as new builds lack character.

I live a couple of minutes walk away but I'd rather go to the coach and jockey, NBT, kelham island or hallamshire house etc if I want a pint.

But make it more appealing eg street food trucks etc and people might actually visit it. 

Fear it might go same way as Riverside cafe pub if not which in theory should be much busier than it is.

1 minute ago, modboy said:

I live a couple of minutes walk away but I'd rather go to the coach and jockey, NBT, kelham island or hallamshire house etc if I want a pint.

But make it more appealing eg street food trucks etc and people might actually visit it. 

Fear it might go same way as Riverside cafe pub if not which in theory should be much busier than it is.

Agree

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Think so yeah - will drop him a line to find out

The kids thighs got yo be a licensing thing but I've taken my daughter in after a game when it was the Sheridan and in the 1867, most pub licenses allow kids as long as they are off the premises by 9pm 

It's a nice place once you actually manage to find it. Signage needs improving so you can see it exists from both leppings lane and Penistone Rd. 

Kids are allowed in on non match days apparently, really hope it succeeds but people need to know it's there .

Edited by OwlontheRock