Poll: Who do you want as next manager...?

Who do YOU want for the next Sheffield Wednesday Manager?  

1,072 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want for the next Sheffield Wednesday Manager?

• Steve McLaren
    • Gus Poyet
    • Lee Bullen
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Garry Monk
    • Paul Lambert
    • Lord George Snooty VII
    • Slaven Billic
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Gary Megson
    • Nicky Butt
    • Ryan Giggs
    • Nigel Pearson (even thought he's said he'd never work in the city his family live in)
    • Paul Hurst
    • Paul Clement
    • Danny Cowley
    • Dean Smith
    • Paulo Di Canio
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Simon Grayson

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/18 at 09:00

The more we slide down the table, the less options we will have There  may come a time when we might be forced to appoint a manager to keep us up As much as I want an exciting continental coach, that could be a risky appointment, if we find ourselves just outside the relegation places

Edited by gurujuan

Voted Cowley. Listening to him on local radio he seems to have a good grasp about what is needed to manage a club. Got Lincoln promoted last season and are in 3rd place this despite having a small squad. The other week they wre struggling to put out a side. 

Wouldn't be sorry if we got Dean Smith though.

18 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

He talks the talk but does he walk the walk?

won the league at a canter last season and is 3rd in the league this with the bare bones of a squad so at the minute he is

9 minutes ago, darra said:

won the league at a canter last season and is 3rd in the league this with the bare bones of a squad so at the minute he is

He looks one of the brightest up and coming young managerial talents around, I'm starting to favour getting someone like him or Paul Hurst in especially as its looking

like a rebuilding job thats going to take time.

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Mark Hughes definately available from teatime today.

Thoughts ?

Yes all day long and he will attract good players....I think.

Also the biggest plus is he will not tolerate anybody coasting or not putting 100% in.

Edited by Copthorneowl

12 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Pearson is the stand out on that list for me with Dean Smith a decent shout.

I’d be amazed if DC appointed someone British though.

He approached McClaren.

Remember Mark Cooper.

Think its not definite he will go abroad I would want Hurst, Pearson, or Smith any would do for me. Even happy if we took flyer with someone like Danny Cowley.

Martin O'neil is latest one to be backed.

5 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Pearson is the stand out on that list for me with Dean Smith a decent shout.

I’d be amazed if DC appointed someone British though.

I'd also be happy with either of the two you mentioned, if DC does go down the foreign coach route it needs to be someone with

extensive experience of British football.

17 minutes ago, Quist said:

He approached McClaren.

Remember Mark Cooper.

Think its not definite he will go abroad I would want Hurst, Pearson, or Smith any would do for me. Even happy if we took flyer with someone like Danny Cowley.

Martin O'neil is latest one to be backed.

I think a young up and coming manager from League One or Two would struggle to command the respect needed from our very experienced squad. Need someone a bit more experienced. 

Dean Smith could possibly pull it off. Done well at Championship level. But is he even a realistic target? 

23 minutes ago, Middlewood Owl said:

I'd also be happy with either of the two you mentioned, if DC does go down the foreign coach route it needs to be someone with

extensive experience of British football.

It depends, if we went for a quality overseas coach, like Fonseca for example, and then brought in quality players, as Wolves have done, then the rebuild might not be such a long term project

That would be the option favoured by DC, I would imagine The problem though, does the club now have the resources? We've spaffed multi millions on championship dross Once we went down the road of Fletcher, Rhodes etc, we were destined to become a mid table team

If we don't now have the money, we won't get a top coach, and we will have to take a longer term approach Then someone like Dean Smith might become a more attractive proposition Personally, I can't see that appealing to DC

My worst fear is, that we just roll the dice, and appoint one of the championship merry go round managers, and hope they can take us forward using the players we have

Edited by gurujuan

5 minutes ago, Shezza said:

I think a young up and coming manager from League One or Two would struggle to command the respect needed from our very experienced squad. Need someone a bit more experienced. 

Dean Smith could possibly pull it off. Done well at Championship level. But is he even a realistic target? 

Personally think that is wrong, I am not overawed with the players we have remember most of them failed in Premiership and came to play for a coach who had no previous record. The ones who are at top of game at the moment are in jobs they may not want to leave.

Can we reasonably expect to get somebody who has good current reputation as they are mainly in work for example Bruce Wagner, Rowett and Johnson.

This leaves unemployed who may have done it some years ago but football has moved on significantly in last few years and they have failed to move on..

Clearly the fitness side of things is not right at Hillsborough and if I were a professional footballer would want to be at my prime so could do as well as possible in career. They need bringing down to earth as quickly as possible. My concern is that anybody who is recruited is acquainted with latest developments and ensures players are properly trained and follow correct diets etc.

We need discipline, physicality and pace - just like almost all the teams who have been promoted in the past ten years from this league.  

Therefore we need N Pearson. 

"Ah yes" sayeth Lord Snooty - "but he doesn't want to live in the same city"

Well M'lud -

The answer is obvious. just buy him a ruddy house in Nottingham!