Poll: Who do you want as next manager...?

Who do YOU want for the next Sheffield Wednesday Manager?  

1,072 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want for the next Sheffield Wednesday Manager?

• Steve McLaren
    • Gus Poyet
    • Lee Bullen
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Garry Monk
    • Paul Lambert
    • Lord George Snooty VII
    • Slaven Billic
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Gary Megson
    • Nicky Butt
    • Ryan Giggs
    • Nigel Pearson (even thought he's said he'd never work in the city his family live in)
    • Paul Hurst
    • Paul Clement
    • Danny Cowley
    • Dean Smith
    • Paulo Di Canio
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Simon Grayson

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/18 at 09:00

DC is going to have to sell them his dream Sure, there isn’t much appeal on the face of it, an ageing squad wallowing in the bottom half of England’s second tier

Its the owners ambition, vision and finances, allied to the clubs history, that may tempt a top coach

1 hour ago, Shezza said:

I think a young up and coming manager from League One or Two would struggle to command the respect needed from our very experienced squad. Need someone a bit more experienced. 

Dean Smith could possibly pull it off. Done well at Championship level. But is he even a realistic target? 

You could be right but last season when they were doing well in the cup they played something like 5 games in two weeks. He was asked if the players were tired. His answer was along the lines they're footballers they're doing something they love so no they aren't tired they are lucky to be doing something they love. To me that is a refreshing attitude and the right one

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

It depends, if we went for a quality overseas coach, like Fonseca for example, and then brought in quality players, as Wolves have done, then the rebuild might not be such a long term project

That would be the option favoured by DC, I would imagine The problem though, does the club now have the resources? We've spaffed multi millions on championship dross Once we went down the road of Fletcher, Rhodes etc, we were destined to become a mid table team

If we don't now have the money, we won't get a top coach, and we will have to take a longer term approach Then someone like Dean Smith might become a more attractive proposition Personally, I can't see that appealing to DC

My worst fear is, that we just roll the dice, and appoint one of the championship merry go round managers, and hope they can take us forward using the players we have

maybe the plan will be to consolidate this season then in the summer off load some bigger names albeit at a loss,hopefully a small one then rebuild

Went with Dean Smith. 

Fonesca sounds a bit of a pipe dream tbh. 

24 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

We need to literally start again from the back...Megson would be perfect to do this.

I can't help but feel that you may have a slightly skewed view on this... 

Oh and how can you think Meggo is god and have "attacking football" as an interest? 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Went with Dean Smith. 

Fonesca sounds a bit of a pipe dream tbh. 

I can't help but feel that you may have a slightly skewed view on this... 

Oh and how can you think Meggo is god and have "attacking football" as an interest? 

I'm getting a restraining order out on you...weirdo

Mick McCarthy. He's had Ipswich in and around the play-offs in recent years with sod all money, and it's because his man management, organisation and ability to spot players is probably the best in the league.

He's got experience with Wolves of having a bit of money and winning our league. He even kept them in the Prem for a couple of seasons against all odds. If he came to us and had a bit to spend, he'd sail out of the league.

I know he doesn't like us, but what if Chansiri waved a bit of money at him? Ipswich fans have been giving him stick for months. He might think about one last go at the Premier League.

55 minutes ago, glynnb said:

Must be Karanka for me pedigree wants a project had promotions. Excellent article on him in today's Times ticks all my boxes even lives in Yorkshire. Do worry about rhyming possibilities with his name if things go wrong.

For me, if we can't land Fonseca or Pearson (both highly unlikely), he's probably the man for the job. 

Mentioned my choice the other day in a different thread - Karanka.

Struggling to find many negatives. 

He's well respected within the game, he's had success at this level that he built over a couple of years so he knows what's required, and he uses a formation that seems to suit our squad more than the one we're used to.

He lives fairly local with his family apparently settled, he's available and a realistic target. 

Of all the (realistic) names mentioned, he stands out as the most suitable candidate imo.

29 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Mentioned my choice the other day in a different thread - Karanka.

Struggling to find many negatives. 

He's well respected within the game, he's had success at this level that he built over a couple of years so he knows what's required, and he uses a formation that seems to suit our squad more than the one we're used to.

He lives fairly local with his family apparently settled, he's available and a realistic target. 

Of all the (realistic) names mentioned, he stands out as the most suitable candidate imo.

If you want a season of doing nothing more than trying to grind out one nil wins he must be your man.