Poll: Who do you want as next manager...?

Who do YOU want for the next Sheffield Wednesday Manager?  

1,072 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want for the next Sheffield Wednesday Manager?

• Steve McLaren
    • Gus Poyet
    • Lee Bullen
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Garry Monk
    • Paul Lambert
    • Lord George Snooty VII
    • Slaven Billic
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Gary Megson
    • Nicky Butt
    • Ryan Giggs
    • Nigel Pearson (even thought he's said he'd never work in the city his family live in)
    • Paul Hurst
    • Paul Clement
    • Danny Cowley
    • Dean Smith
    • Paulo Di Canio
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Simon Grayson

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/18 at 09:00

1 hour ago, RichieB said:

Your listing the market value of Fulham player's, and?

Doesn't mean they've spent more does it, that's just the current market value of their players, if anything it shows Jokanovic has improved those players. If you want a net spend for both clubs for this season you'll find that they are as follows..

Fulham net spend - £428k

Wednesday net spend - £13.23m

So yeah, Fulham have spent nowhere near as much as us. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-fulham/transfers/verein/931/saison_id/2017

Jokanovic got Watford promoted via the top 2 playing the best football I've ever seen a championship club play, he also got Fulham playing excellent football last season, and your not taking into account he has lost at least 3 key players this summer, the LB Malone to Huddersfield, Aluko to Reading and Chris Martin went back to derby, where as Carlos had the luxury of not having to sell ANY players. 

It's all about opinions and I genuinely believe Jokanovic given the same time as Carlos would get us up....and in style.

All the above is pointless anyway as we won't even be looking at him lol

Yes, you're not wrong. lol

Well, if it is the current market value then it must surely be out if date because Brooks is currently worth more than United's stated value, for instance.

Fulham's spending seems so low because of the sales they have made, as you say.

I suppose it's a bit like the Leeds situation where a number of players were bought with Wood's transfer fee.

I agree that Jokanovic is superior to Carlos; for a start he's already got Watford over the line, apart from his exploits at Fulham.

I think Carlos improved players in that first season - FF for instance - and that's when he played a similar style to Joko.

My original point was that I'm not sure that playing that way, entertaining though it is, is necessarily the way to get promoted for a non-parachute team.

10 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, you're not wrong. lol

Well, if it is the current market value then it must surely be out if date because Brooks is currently worth more than United's stated value, for instance.

Fulham's spending seems so low because of the sales they have made, as you say.

I suppose it's a bit like the Leeds situation where a number of players were bought with Wood's transfer fee.

I agree that Jokanovic is superior to Carlos; for a start he's already got Watford over the line, apart from his exploits at Fulham.

I think Carlos improved players in that first season - FF for instance - and that's when he played a similar style to Joko.

My original point was that I'm not sure that playing that way, entertaining though it is, is necessarily the way to get promoted for a non-parachute team.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think Watford were a parachute club when he got them up in 2015, could be wrong on that. I suppose there's more than 1 way to skin a cat, and teams have gone up playing like Megson's teams in the past and also like Jokanovic, if I could choose a style to take us up it would be the latter's, even though I love Megson lol

Agree with what you say about the current market valuations on that site, I'm not sure how often it's updated or how they measure current market value, I take that with a pinch of salt, but I think the transfer fees on there aren't far off usually. 

Who would be your first choice out of interest? 

7 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think Watford were a parachute club when he got them up in 2015, could be wrong on that. I suppose there's more than 1 way to skin a cat, and teams have gone up playing like Megson's teams in the past and also like Jokanovic, if I could choose a style to take us up it would be the latter's, even though I love Megson lol

Agree with what you say about the current market valuations on that site, I'm not sure how often it's updated or how they measure current market value, I take that with a pinch of salt, but I think the transfer fees on there aren't far off usually. 

Who would be your first choice out of interest? 

Difficult to say.

I'm not really enthused by any of the candidates, but I've tried to be logical as possible.

If we're building for next season, the new man needs preferably two windows, so it needs to be someone available.

It needs to be someone with recent experience of this division.

It needs to be someone who's got a similar club to ours over the line.

When you look down that list, Karanka fits the bill.

Joko fits the bill too, and plays better football, football better suited to our players, but could we get him?

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

When you look down that list, Karanka fits the bill.

Joko fits the bill too, and plays better football, football better suited to our players, but could we get him?

I think we could get him but honestly don't think he's even on DC's radar tbh. 

As for Karanka, he's a promotion winner, so called negative football or not, I'd take that personally, and people might say he's as negative as Carlos, but he's better at it lol

It's all about getting promotion for me, regardless of how we do it. 

Going to be an interesting couple of weeks to see who we get though. 

8 hours ago, A12owl said:

You begged me for wanting Bullen .He knows the club NOW.

You say Pearson knows the club but it was 23 years ago that he last had any involvement with the club.  He had problems dealing with the owners at Leicester. 

Has he still got Wednesday in his blood like Bullen does?

Good questions. 

I'd be happy with Bullen until end of season. 

Pearson is currently employed by same owners. (who had problems with his son?) 

Perhaps at an advantage understanding the Thai culture having learned the hard way? 

He is a proven manager.

Actually has the forum opinion now changed to that of, anyone with a pulse as long as it isn’t McLaren? Albeit I don’t see the pulse a being much of an issue.

I’m keeping my powder dry on the premis that if McLaren is appointed I will want him to succeed, we’ve had far worse than him in our dark and dismal past, he’s not my choice, but neither were most of the others.

The more i think about it the more i want Bullen to keep the job until the end of the season. This season is pretty much done with now. Why not see what Lee can do. Maybe bias as i love the guy but seriously, why not give him a chance?

Also i cant think of anyone better to have in charge for the pigs game in a couple of weeks. There is no way a Bullen team will put in the same sort of pathetic performance as we did at our place.

10 hours ago, Mishowl said:

Pearson.

Knows the club (which is now important for those who want Bullen).

We know he knows how to get a team promoted because he’s done it before.

Got an edge to him that we both need and more importantly, all good managers have.

I can understand the interest in Pearson based on his connection with our club, but other than that does the fact that he seems so unbalanced not put you off? I have a friend in the Hull area who has got to know the various Hull managers through a long term connection with the club and he told me that Pearson is very arrogant. As an aside he also told me what a really nice bloke Steve Bruce is.  

I appreciate that we’re in the results business rather than the being nice business, but there’s something about Pearsons demeanour that makes me feel very uncomfortable.