Are you more patient depending on geographical location?

59 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Local fans tend to be the most impatient overall.

Sheffielders are the ones who tend to grow annoyed and call for change first

You tend to find that fans living slightly further away  (London, Lake District, Norwich) who have to travel hundreds of miles to games will try and quench that anger somewhat by stating how far they travel, how frustrated they are but they have no appetite for change yet, and tend on the whole to be slightly more patient

But what's more interesting is those even further afield (USA, Australia, Spain etc) will be last to crack. Their patience levels seem way beyond that of the average Sheffielder who is still living and working in the Steel City.

Why is that?

I think personally that it's simply because those living in far away lands see 'Sheffield Wednesday' very differently given their distance. The whole idea of the football club is more that of a child growing up supporting the Owls. It's more romantic and more serene, calm, patient, and with matches being a big deal to them simply because they hardly ever/never get to see the team in the flesh.

Over the last year or so it seems that the call for change has started at Hillsborough and spread out like the fallout from a nuclear blast with those abroad only now starting to truly feel it and experience it for themselves.

It's not just the Carlos thing though it's always seemed to me to be the case throughout Sheffield Wednesday's history, but more so since the internet came along and times changed in that respect

What do you think?

Where do you live and when do you usually go along with the trains of thought?

I'm very patient and i could hit a golf ball to the ground (with a good run along the concrete!)

I actually think theres a lot of patient people in this category.

But then again, most of my life has been spent seeing Wednesday as skint and rubbish. My youth mainly consisted of watching the likes of Kim Olsen and Adam Proudlock play for us.

So i think that has more to do with my patience. :rolleyes:

Edited by WhiteOwl91

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

That's your opinion

Let's see how this thread pans out

Ps - it's not the opinion of Carlos either who says that the fans that go to the games are the most patient of them all and he's not experienced any manager out calls whatsoever and in fact has experienced nothing but goodwill from our fans at matches

Can you have a fan that doesn't go to games?

I would suggest not.

If you don't go, then your opinion isn't really valid 

8 minutes ago, torres said:

Can you have a fan that doesn't go to games?

I would suggest not.

I respect your opinion but I'd rather hear from those who live away from England in this thread (and hopefully people who don't just dismiss all those who cant' get to games - and many fellow fans posting in this thread who live abroad like you just did)

Ta

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's your opinion

Let's see how this thread pans out

Ps - it's not the opinion of Carlos either who says that the fans that go to the games are the most patient of them all and he's not experienced any manager out calls whatsoever and in fact has experienced nothing but goodwill from our fans at matches

I think a lot of fans that I see at every away game have backed him 100%.

From my experience, the % at home games seems to be much more in favour of Carlos out than in. 

Away games seems to be the opposite (or at least WAS), that seems to be changing now which unfortunately is understandable. 

For the record I don't see how Carlos can come back from this now. 

9 minutes ago, MalagaOwl said:

dunno about the "high life" mate

a popular misconception mate .....a lot don't realise that ex pats go to spain coz they can't  afford to live in the uk .....I had it all the time the ones at home think your out living it up like they do when they come over on there hols . 

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I think a lot of fans that I see at every away game have backed him 100%.

From my experience, the % at home games seems to be much more in favour of Carlos out than in. 

Away games seems to be the opposite (or at least WAS), that seems to be changing now which unfortunately is understandable. 

For the record I don't see how Carlos can come back from this now. 

Agree with all that

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, MalagaOwl said:

dunno about the "high life" mate

Out of interest mate, are you actually Malaga based, and do you ever watch Malaga? I’m up in Ronda, but know a guy who goes to Malaga games, who has a Wednesday season ticket, and he’s Spanish!!

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Local fans tend to be the most impatient overall.

Sheffielders are the ones who tend to grow annoyed and call for change first

You tend to find that fans living slightly further away  (London, Lake District, Norwich) who have to travel hundreds of miles to games will try and quench that anger somewhat by stating how far they travel, how frustrated they are but they have no appetite for change yet, and tend on the whole to be slightly more patient

But what's more interesting is those even further afield (USA, Australia, Spain etc) will be last to crack. Their patience levels seem way beyond that of the average Sheffielder who is still living and working in the Steel City.

Why is that?

I think personally that it's simply because those living in far away lands see 'Sheffield Wednesday' very differently given their distance. The whole idea of the football club is more that of a child growing up supporting the Owls. It's more romantic and more serene, calm, patient, and with matches being a big deal to them simply because they hardly ever/never get to see the team in the flesh.

Over the last year or so it seems that the call for change has started at Hillsborough and spread out like the fallout from a nuclear blast with those abroad only now starting to truly feel it and experience it for themselves.

It's not just the Carlos thing though it's always seemed to me to be the case throughout Sheffield Wednesday's history, but more so since the internet came along and times changed in that respect

What do you think?

Where do you live and when do you usually go along with the trains of thought?

i disagree, for my location anyway. I live in Hampshire and have done for the last 12 years. There seem to be plenty of people wanting CC to stay who appear to be local (but may not be). I wanted CC gone in May. Not because of the results now, but because i felt he had his chance (twice) and didnt take it. i thought he had gone as far as he could. i felt a change was needed to bring back that momentum. 

Lived in Nz for twenty years, before that i went to every home game and as many away games the funds would stretch. No matter what people say when we were in the old third division it was awful to watch. I remember winning one nil and roger Wylde time wasting at the opposition corner flag in the first half. Plus you could sit where you wanted to, 9 and 10k crowds left a lot of spaces. So with that background it makes you a bit more philosophical i suppose. It makes me smile when people say its the worst wednesday team they have ever seen, either short memories or they haven’t lived to see bad. Not going to go into team play as its all in th eye of the beholder, but i do find that when they lose owlstalk meltdowns but when we win there is a massive drop in comments (must be less blades winding people up ehh)  Watched every game this season on ifollow and a fair share of games over the past two seasons on tv / internet. Plus im over every April and catch 2 or 3 games having said that i still get frustrated.  Finnally a couple of things where i feel management errors were made and at the time I thought why on earth did they say it - Promotion in 2 or was it 3 years when DC bought he club. these were comments made by people who dont understand Championship football, and in saying lifted expectation in the masses and pressure on the team. remember as we are told numerous times the players we have brought in were players who couldn’t get in their previous teams, could question whether the are mentally strong enough when push comes to shove, and remember CC saying not bothered about clean sheets in his first year we just need to score more than we concede, make the fans happy, now he talks about clean sheets and how well we have done. One more thing, Remember Kirkland and how everbody on owlstalk reacted to his depression coming out. Again a lot of short memories, because some of the abuse to players and staff is nothing but disgraceful. Somebody put a photograph of CC in his first season and hold it against a picture of him against Norwich. There’s pressure. 

been a fan for over fifty years(i cant call myself a supporter because i seldom spend any money on SWFC)but one thing that has never changed is the hurt i feel when we lose,it dont matter if it's against MAN UTD in the premiership or GILLINGHAM in the FA cup a defeat hurts,but lately i have experienced a new hurt,and that is the way the club is being run,while grateful for the funds DC has pumped in i'm becoming more frustrated with how we seem to be losing our identity,i'm not going to make a list as we all know the faults,i would attend most games if i lived in sheffield but it's highly unlikely i would do much away days,and it's our incredible away support that i feel really sorry for,and who i could never be critical of.I have written off this season but will live in hope for a new manager(big nige)coming in soon and having a proper go next season.UTO.

The club creates and sets the patience levels.

Under Gray my patience was at around 100%.

Very much an attitude of-:

"Given the resources we've. .."

"Look how better we look than under Jones with the same players"

"A clean sheet and point against Wigan is an excellent result". 

I don't think locality has that much to do with it.

When you're told

"Whatever it takes"

"We will go up this season"

"Where I come from there's no such thing as clean sheets It's about goals"

"We're smashing our transfer record"

Then the club resets the patience parameters. 

Said it before and will say it again.

When the club was bought if a statement along the lines of

"This clubs in a bobbar-tip.It might take us ten years of careful building and strategy to get where we won't to be. But we'll do it. "

I think that people wouldn't be as impatient now.

That's the thing about promises and easy platitudes.

They are not forgotten by the fan base. 

It nearly worked in that first season. It created a vibe of almost instant success. 

Nearly...

But it didn't. ..and now,  rightly or wrongly anything lower than that bmch mark will test people. 

Especially when we have thrown millions and millions in transfers and wages and The fan base,  whether short or long distance have found their match day outgoing soar through the roof.

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 2

Guest Copthorneowl

It’s a 450 mile round trip for me usually two tickets etc., cost doesn’t particularly bother me but the effort of the team does.

Travelled up for the Bristol game both teams virtually no shots in the match the journey home was and is dire when you watch so little passion. I’m afraid I’ve just given up on Carlos more for his appraisals of what actually happened than the dire football.

However it won’t stop me while ever I can. 

Edited by Copthorneowl

I think the further I have moved away the ore impatient I have got. When I lived locally, had a ST and was easier to go. Now living 200+ miles away attending involves significant effort, time and expense. When I choose my games I look at the opposition, whether it is likely to be a good game, are we likely to win and weigh up my return on investment in terms of the reward of enjoying the experience.

Last year I attended more games than I ought to due to perceived duty to watch my team, still harbouring hope. This year I have been very impatient, every game is pot luck whether we turn up and when I reflect on the last 6 or so games I have attended last yer and this, the highlight of my weekend has been a Beres Pork sandwich. 

Stopped attending until CC goes after the Barnsley game and for the first time, didn't bother buying the TV subscription to watch v Norwich. I'll be watching on TV v Wolves in the hope this is the end game for CC. In an ideal world we sack him before the Friday and beat Wolves, I'd be equally happy if we drew and he was subsequently sacked (can't bring myself to wish a loss, even if for the greater good).

If CC stays beyond Wolves, can see me losing interest entirely and drifting away until a change is made, likely to be next season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, billyblack said:

i disagree, for my location anyway. I live in Hampshire and have done for the last 12 years. There seem to be plenty of people wanting CC to stay who appear to be local (but may not be). I wanted CC gone in May. Not because of the results now, but because i felt he had his chance (twice) and didnt take it. i thought he had gone as far as he could. i felt a change was needed to bring back that momentum. 

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you mate?

40 minutes ago, torres said:

There are many reasons why people don't go to games. To say the opinions of those who do not or cannot attend games are not valid is ludicrous.

FWIW I think that those who attend less frequently tend to be more objective. They are not overpowered by the emotions. They let time pass and consider things in the clearer light of day. IMHO