Are you more patient depending on geographical location?

Local fans tend to be the most impatient overall.

Sheffielders are the ones who tend to grow annoyed and call for change first

You tend to find that fans living slightly further away  (London, Lake District, Norwich) who have to travel hundreds of miles to games will try and quench that anger somewhat by stating how far they travel, how frustrated they are but they have no appetite for change yet, and tend on the whole to be slightly more patient

But what's more interesting is those even further afield (USA, Australia, Spain etc) will be last to crack. Their patience levels seem way beyond that of the average Sheffielder who is still living and working in the Steel City.

Why is that?

I think personally that it's simply because those living in far away lands see 'Sheffield Wednesday' very differently given their distance. The whole idea of the football club is more that of a child growing up supporting the Owls. It's more romantic and more serene, calm, patient, and with matches being a big deal to them simply because they hardly ever/never get to see the team in the flesh.

Over the last year or so it seems that the call for change has started at Hillsborough and spread out like the fallout from a nuclear blast with those abroad only now starting to truly feel it and experience it for themselves.

It's not just the Carlos thing though it's always seemed to me to be the case throughout Sheffield Wednesday's history, but more so since the internet came along and times changed in that respect

What do you think?

Where do you live and when do you usually go along with the trains of thought?

Owlstalk Shop

ive lived  between 110 -1500 miles away for 40 years before moving back 2 years ago and my feelings /tolerance as never changed no matter where I've lived ........some who are unhappy at the moment seem to be scattered all over the place so I don't think you can generalise that some are more impatient than others . 

• Like 1

We have been in Devon for 40 years which means we see very few live games. Always view every game by what ever means. I personally think that the expectation levels were raised , perhaps unintentionally by the Chairman when he set his 2 yr target for Premiership football.   This to many became the promised land and then the only priority.

The vitriol of recent weeks is very undignified and more appropriate of S2, it is also very unfair on a chairman who is still feeling his way. It will take time. My time frame is governed by age alone sadly.  

..after watching Wednesday through the late 60's and 70's patience was the most important life asset Wednesday taught me...that and the majority of fans aren't scummyknobheads and that people come and go but the club remains. Where I live hasn't changed me one bit.

Living through the dreadful football and management but with the daft support of friends and comrades was much more influential. 

An interesting theory, and a good debate. Personally speaking, I think the more sporadic your visits, the less wound up you are likely to get, and generally speaking, the further away you live, the less likely you are to regularly attend

Other factors that don’t really effect long distance fans, they aren’t exposed to mockery from local rivals fans Even the price hike in ticket prices, is somehow lost in the general expense regularly faced by the out of towners

I would guess for the majority it's expectation. For many years we had little money and most were pleased to survive another season, especially in the Championship.

When DC took over with the the fanfare of real money and the goal of the promised land within two years and achieving the playoff final so quickly, we all got giddy. 

What annoys me is when I look at the squad we have and the quality of a few, I expect a team playing exciting football, win lose or draw. Sadly they need a new man at the helm , the current one has lost his way. 

Where you live has nothing to do with it, IMO.

Age and hindsight are wonderful things for a Owls fan. You learn all the time but the more you learn the more you think you know.!

As a youngster you learn to play the game , when lifes turn means you stop playing and start watching . This is a dangerous time as you form opinions like speech bubbles in a cartoon. But as time passes you learn that you can use your past experiences to form your opinions .

I consider myself to be lucky as advancing age has seen me watch the Owls through some of the worst of times along with some good times (fleetingly). So I think now we are going through a period of suffering with a series of annoying boils , in the past   the time of the HMRC orders pre MM  we were turning into the Elephant man in comparison .

Now firmly in the waiting to see who blinks first CC or DC , but something has to happen and quick .

Distance has naff all to do with it

Edited by Tarquin
addition of text

i'd query that cost of admission is a factor for the locals being  more impatient  than those that  live away.......in my case and no doubt quite a few others it cost me far more to get to the 5 or 6 games a season I attended for 10 years living abroad than my season ticket costs me now i'm back . ........for 30 years I did a 250 mile round trip again like many others do on a regular basis and it's no fun to pay admission 5 gallons of petrol and drive down the M1  late night at night having been hammered by Plymouth .I can well understand why the exiles want to have  whinge if they feel the need .   

I'm definitely not patient

I was calling for Carlos to go before he was given a new contract at the start of the season

I was calling for Jones to go 12 months before the majority

The only thing that may make others a little more patient is we don't live amongst Pigs and have to suffer them at the moment

But with not many fellow Owls to temper my own impatience I've been ranting all season

6 minutes ago, GoldGigsChris said:

Post brexit brits are more polar in opinions.   Those living outside the UK may not be affected by this.   Also they're more likely to be earning more and living the high life and not even SWFC can bring them down.

dunno about the "high life" mate

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

No 

That's not what I'm saying at all.

Sorry if this thread has confused you. Apologies. I'll do one with more easier to read writing and some pictures next time in big comic sans font so you can be less confused.

Despite your flowery vocabulary in your opening post it comes down to the same thing.

''fans from abroad'' - they might get to one match per season if that!! - they don't care what they are seeing, it's all about the occasion for them.

Fans such as TorryOwl above travels to watch them ''4 or 5 times a season'' - all respect for doing it but its 10% of the matches a lot of fans go to.

The majority of fans that go to most of the games are from Sheffield, so its obviously those that get riled the most. 

1 minute ago, torres said:

The majority of fans that go to most of the games are from Sheffield, so its obviously those that get riled the most. 

That's your opinion

Let's see how this thread pans out

Ps - it's not the opinion of Carlos either who says that the fans that go to the games are the most patient of them all and he's not experienced any manager out calls whatsoever and in fact has experienced nothing but goodwill from our fans at matches

Owlstalk Shop