Are you more patient depending on geographical location?

I'm not particularly patient with all things SWFC.

Before joining Owlstalk I would have been more patient as only saw results and highlights or games on tv. So growing up in Belfast with no pigs fans did have an effect.

So as a teenager I didn't form as strong opinions as I have now but doesn't mean I wasn't passionate.

I was swimming against the tide of glory hunters getting a lot of stick from them ( still do )

But joining Owlstalk meant I discussed Wednesday more and more, find myself on here pretty much every day.

I was a vocal critic of the club during the Allen era and have lost patience with managers before many Sheffielders.

Irvine and Jones stick out in particular and Laws to an extent. Facebook seems determined to remind me of my dislike for Jones as plenty of memories revolve around me calling for his head.

As for Carlos I had doubts last season and wanted him gone after Huddersfield.

Tried to back him this season but Pigs game and Birmingham game 3 days later pushed me over the brink again.

I know quite a few Sheffielders now and some of them seem more patient than me.

Edited by Belfast Owl 2

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

I would hazard a guess that Sheffield based Wednesday fans are far more likely to be subjected to p i ss taking from rival fans so have a far less tolerance level especially those that work with, go to school with or socialize with United fans. 

This.

I’ve never met an Onik over here. So nobody gloats to me about their 4 months of recent success.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

I was born and lived within 6 miles of the kop for 18 yrs before moving to Hull where I continued going to most home and a handful of away games each season. 14 yrs ago I moved to Switzerland to ease my tax situation (ha ha I wish!)  I now get to 1 or 2 games a year when visiting me folks. The biggest difference is how I try to switch off after a defeat. I'm not surrounded by fans of  other English clubs taking the wee wee or amongst other equally depressed Owls fans. So I just try to think oh well next fame will be better. I've always been an optimist. At least I can see my beloved turf at Hillsborough when I go and enjoy the comfort of the sumptuous blue seats in the North...  I'm pretty fed up now though and think it's time for a change. I'm just not sure if we need to change the players or the manager or the chairman or his advisors or....

1 hour ago, torres said:

So you are saying.........

Those that go all of the time and spend a lot of money get more annoyed than the ones that sit at home at watch the scores come in.

It’s 2017. Not 1997.

I may not spend the same as someone watching from the Kop - my “season ticket” was about $150.

But I still get to watch every league game live - Home and away. Every one is either on ifollow or ESPN.

It’s not just waiting for final score.

9 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

There are many reasons why people don't go to games. To say the opinions of those who do not or cannot attend games are not valid is ludicrous.

FWIW I think that those who attend less frequently tend to be more objective. They are not overpowered by the emotions. They let time pass and consider things in the clearer light of day. IMHO

There may be many reasons why people don't go to games - i fully understand that.

I just wonder how people that don't attend can form any real basis for their opinion on ''on field matters''

1 hour ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Without sounding over dramatic I think this seasons been a bit like a sort of grieving process for ALL Wednesday fans....currently I'm somewhere between depression and acceptance where indifference lies...

Image result for grieving process

The model is not seen as linear anymore. In fact Kugler-Ross in the end agreed that we move back and forth and into different positions at different times. What is more, the perception that death is seen as an ending point is very Western, if I had to, I would much rather view our current situation as transitional where throughout there is an opportunity for transformation (or re-birth/resurrection, if you are going to look at it more through the lens of death).  

Edited by AwokenGiant

19 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The club creates and sets the patience levels.

Under Gray my patience was at around 100%.

Very much an attitude of-:

"Given the resources we've. .."

"Look how better we look than under Jones with the same players"

"A clean sheet and point against Wigan is an excellent result". 

I don't think locality has that much to do with it.

When you're told

"Whatever it takes"

"We will go up this season"

"Where I come from there's no such thing as clean sheets It's about goals"

"We're smashing our transfer record"

Then the club resets the patience parameters. 

Said it before and will say it again.

When the club was bought if a statement along the lines of

"This clubs in a bobbar-tip.It might take us ten years of careful building and strategy to get where we won't to be. But we'll do it. "

I think that people wouldn't be as impatient now.

That's the thing about promises and easy platitudes.

They are not forgotten by the fan base. 

It nearly worked in that first season. It created a vibe of almost instant success. 

Nearly...

But it didn't. ..and now,  rightly or wrongly anything lower than that bmch mark will test people. 

Especially when we have thrown millions and millions in transfers and wages and The fan base,  whether short or long distance have found their match day outgoing soar through the roof.

Exactly, what he said. Under promise and over deliver, very simple dynamic. If you shoot for the stars and miss people will think we didn't hit our goal.

As for distance away, I'm an NFL fan and follow New York Jets, I've travelled over and watched them at Wembley, I watch every game of theirs on Gamepass and losses do hurt, but not the same Wednesday, But I've watched Wednesday since I was 5 and only supported the Jets from 15 so not a completely fair example. The Jets are rubbish every year so I have 0 expectations which helps. I think going to the games and having to drive back and travel and sit in the cold does affect this as well but mainly because I have followed Wednesday for longer.

7 minutes ago, torres said:

There may be many reasons why people don't go to games - i fully understand that.

I just wonder how people that don't attend can form any real basis for their opinion on ''on field matters''

Read the post above yours.

Local fans tend to be the most impatient overall.

Sheffielders are the ones who tend to grow annoyed and call for change first

You tend to find that fans living slightly further away  (London, Lake District, Norwich) who have to travel hundreds of miles to games will try and quench that anger somewhat by stating how far they travel, how frustrated they are but they have no appetite for change yet, and tend on the whole to be slightly more patient

But what's more interesting is those even further afield (USA, Australia, Spain etc) will be last to crack. Their patience levels seem way beyond that of the average Sheffielder who is still living and working in the Steel City.

Why is that?

I think personally that it's simply because those living in far away lands see 'Sheffield Wednesday' very differently given their distance. The whole idea of the football club is more that of a child growing up supporting the Owls. It's more romantic and more serene, calm, patient, and with matches being a big deal to them simply because they hardly ever/never get to see the team in the flesh.

Over the last year or so it seems that the call for change has started at Hillsborough and spread out like the fallout from a nuclear blast with those abroad only now starting to truly feel it and experience it for themselves.

It's not just the Carlos thing though it's always seemed to me to be the case throughout Sheffield Wednesday's history, but more so since the internet came along and times changed in that respect

What do you think?

Where do you live and when do you usually go along with the trains of thought?

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, torres said:

It hasn't been as easy this season but the last couple of seasons or so I have watched full match replays of pretty much every match. There are many that watch all matches live on line. People see differing amount of football in different formats.

Watching after the event gives you a different perspective. You know the result and your judgment is not coloured as much by emotion. I can often see where some people's reports on matches have been affected by the result.

I also read with interest other people thoughts on games and there are those whose opinions I have learned to trust.

Granted those who go to games and also watch back the full 90 replay (once or more) are best placed to pass opinion but it doesn't make their opinions necessarily more valid than those who witness less on field action. My wife could go every week and she still wouldn't have a valid comment to make on the on the football played.

Pretty much anyone's opinion might be valid and they are entitled to hold them on post them on forums even if you disagree with them.

5 minutes ago, Neal M said:

Read the post above yours.

I have and i think that validates my point even more.

How can you follow your team on the telly? It's like me saying i support Real Madrid cus i watch all their games on Sky.

The point of a supporter, is one that goes to the match, one that feels the atmosphere, one that feels they can influence the play (not sure they can really but you feel as if you do at the time), one that sees all of the game not just a camera angle, one that feels the happiness and the pain surrounded by like mined people.

Most of the above has come from generations within their family, they have close friends through it, it's not sat looking at a PC then coming on here!

4 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

It hasn't been as easy this season but the last couple of seasons or so I have watched full match replays of pretty much every match. There are many that watch all matches live on line. People see differing amount of football in different formats.

Watching after the event gives you a different perspective. You know the result and your judgment is not coloured as much by emotion. I can often see where some people's reports on matches have been affected by the result.

I also read with interest other people thoughts on games and there are those whose opinions I have learned to trust.

Granted those who go to games and also watch back the full 90 replay (once or more) are best placed to pass opinion but it doesn't make their opinions necessarily more valid than those who witness less on field action. My wife could go every week and she still wouldn't have a valid comment to make on the on the football played.

Pretty much anyone's opinion might be valid and they are entitled to hold them on post them on forums even if you disagree with them.

I agree, a lot of people that go to games don't have a clue either, but i can take their opinion as they have made the effort and seen the actual thing they are talking about.

7 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

100%

Especially the last line

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, torres said:

but i can take their opinion as they have made the effort and seen the actual thing they are talking about.

I can tell you it takes a lot of effort to watch back a match you already know to be a dreary nil - nil draw. or worse, a dreary defeat.

I know they are different experiences but you still get to see what happened, to make your own mind up about contentious decisions or players performances.

Of course you can form an opinion on a game from tv coverage.

10 minutes ago, torres said:

I have and i think that validates my point even more.

How can you follow your team on the telly? It's like me saying i support Real Madrid cus i watch all their games on Sky.

The point of a supporter, is one that goes to the match, one that feels the atmosphere, one that feels they can influence the play (not sure they can really but you feel as if you do at the time), one that sees all of the game not just a camera angle, one that feels the happiness and the pain surrounded by like mined people.

Most of the above has come from generations within their family, they have close friends through it, it's not sat looking at a PC then coming on here!

Firstly you are mixing two things.

I'm a Wednesday fan because if my family - the generations before me.  That doesn't disappear because I now live 5,000 miles away.  My happiness and pain is still shared by like minded people

I was a season ticket holder on the North Stand for years.  I've seen hundreds of games from the stands.  Home and away. 

Now I watch using a different medium.

Yes I'm restricted to camera angles chosen by a director.  But I'm watching.  And I'm still kicking every flipping ball.  Unlike more than a few who go to the stadium and spend the game glued to their phone, or chatting to their mates.  Or reading the flipping program.  

• Like 1