Are you more patient depending on geographical location?

21 minutes ago, torres said:

I have and i think that validates my point even more.

How can you follow your team on the telly? It's like me saying i support Real Madrid cus i watch all their games on Sky.

The point of a supporter, is one that goes to the match, one that feels the atmosphere, one that feels they can influence the play (not sure they can really but you feel as if you do at the time), one that sees all of the game not just a camera angle, one that feels the happiness and the pain surrounded by like mined people.

Most of the above has come from generations within their family, they have close friends through it, it's not sat looking at a PC then coming on here!

So by the same logic, if you were in my situation, living aboard and not able to get to games you wouldn't class yourself as a supporter. 

29 minutes ago, SouthCoastOwl said:

So by the same logic, if you were in my situation, living aboard and not able to get to games you wouldn't class yourself as a supporter. 

Nope.

I go to 90% of all our games, if i suddenly moved abroad and stopped attending i would no longer be classed as a supporter.

Of course i'd still want them to do well and would keep in touch as much as possible but i would not comment on games i've not seen or feel i have a place to do so 

12 minutes ago, torres said:

Nope.

I go to 90% of all our games, if i suddenly moved abroad and stopped attending i would no longer be classed as a supporter.

There are opinions and there are facts

In this case/example you're just plain wrong

supporter
səˈpɔːtə/
noun
noun: supporter; plural noun: supporters

• a person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.
    "an Oxford United supporter"
    synonyms: fan, follower, enthusiast, devotee, lover, admirer, zealot, aficionado; More

Owlstalk Shop

31 minutes ago, torres said:

Nope.

Of course i'd still want them to do well and would keep in touch as much as possible but i would not comment on games i've not seen or feel i have a place to do so 

Classed by who?

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

There are opinions and there are facts

In this case/example you're just plain wrong

supporter
səˈpɔːtə/
noun
noun: supporter; plural noun: supporters

• a person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.
    "an Oxford United supporter"
    synonyms: fan, follower, enthusiast, devotee, lover, admirer, zealot, aficionado; More

Don't worry DC we can buy our next player with lots of positives thoughts!!

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Regardless you've just been proven incorrect with facts

So regardless of what you believe - you're wrong

It's purely rhetoric, if you don't pay to go to the game  - you're no good to the club.

If you were the chairman would you be happy to have lots of foreign well wishers or people that actually attend the match?

How many times do you listen to national phone ins and you hear '' next is Dave from cornwall who is a Liverpool fan'' - i bet everyone's first response is the same as what mine is!

Closer to home it's like that Mick than rings up RS after every match but never goes! he gets dogs abuse!

Why is this any different?

7 minutes ago, torres said:

Nope.

This really about you then. The basis of your definition of a supporter means if you were geographically separated from Sheffield and the club, you would no longer class yourself as supporter. Fair enough, a bit weird but fair enough.

However, seeing as you don't get to decide what defines a supporter I'll continue to count myself as one. So, like most exiled Owls I'll comment on games I've only seen on the TV or PC and I'll continue to believe (rightly or wrongly - no need to ask which side of that particular fence you'll come down on) that, maybe just maybe, other Owlstalk subscribers might consider my comments with an open mind without applying some strange personal criteria to my circumstances, just because I've left home.  

55 minutes ago, torres said:

Nope.

So, for 10% of our games you're not a supporter then. Do you support another team for those 10% of games?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Note to all our overseas/out of Sheffield friends

Please don't take Torres horrendous attacks on you as representative of Owlstalk as a website. 

He's just one bitter individual with an agenda and his views reflect that only of himself

You're all welcome here as fans of this fantastic football club and part of this amazing Sheffield Wednesday family!

Now.. 

Back to the topic (please ignore Torres trolling of this thread)

Owlstalk Shop

Local fans tend to be the most impatient overall.

Sheffielders are the ones who tend to grow annoyed and call for change first

You tend to find that fans living slightly further away  (London, Lake District, Norwich) who have to travel hundreds of miles to games will try and quench that anger somewhat by stating how far they travel, how frustrated they are but they have no appetite for change yet, and tend on the whole to be slightly more patient

But what's more interesting is those even further afield (USA, Australia, Spain etc) will be last to crack. Their patience levels seem way beyond that of the average Sheffielder who is still living and working in the Steel City.

Why is that?

I think personally that it's simply because those living in far away lands see 'Sheffield Wednesday' very differently given their distance. The whole idea of the football club is more that of a child growing up supporting the Owls. It's more romantic and more serene, calm, patient, and with matches being a big deal to them simply because they hardly ever/never get to see the team in the flesh.

Over the last year or so it seems that the call for change has started at Hillsborough and spread out like the fallout from a nuclear blast with those abroad only now starting to truly feel it and experience it for themselves.

It's not just the Carlos thing though it's always seemed to me to be the case throughout Sheffield Wednesday's history, but more so since the internet came along and times changed in that respect

What do you think?

Where do you live and when do you usually go along with the trains of thought?

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

There are many reasons why people don't go to games. To say the opinions of those who do not or cannot attend games are not valid is ludicrous.

FWIW I think that those who attend less frequently tend to be more objective. They are not overpowered by the emotions. They let time pass and consider things in the clearer light of day. IMHO

I'd counter that with numerous people on my social media feeds i know, who go to a game or two a year, constantly ranting and moaning about the club on it. 

I go to every game and dont. 

So actually, sometimes people who go less tend to not understand things quite as much (i.e. ranting about the Derby County loss, slagging off Carlos, players (not just loovens etc) ) when anyone who went would simply have understood what a good effort it was given the Loovens red card. 

I dont think theres a specific trend 

15 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

So, for 10% of our games you're not a supporter then. Do you support another team for those 10% of games?

As far as the club, the players and the manager go, i'm nothing for that 10%.

Yes i would listen to the match and of course want them to win, but would NEVER comment on performance or feel i have the right to.

So for people who hardly ever go and comment i just find it strange. 

5 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I'd counter that with numerous people on my social media feeds i know, who go to a game or two a year, constantly ranting and moaning about the club on it. 

I go to every game and dont. 

So actually, sometimes people who go less tend to not understand things quite as much (i.e. ranting about the Derby County loss, slagging off Carlos, players (not just loovens etc) ) when anyone who went would simply have understood what a good effort it was given the Loovens red card. 

I dont think theres a specific trend 

100% agree.