Are you more patient depending on geographical location?

It may well be that the more money you put into the club the more important to the club you are. Fair enough, good for you. It still doesn't change the definition of a supporter or the right of someone who only sees a game via video media to hold and voice an opinion on a performance.

It is starting to look like willy waving to me.

Edited by OxonOwl

5 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think the supporters living overseas are more patient as they are not the ones paying the eye watering ticket prices.

Once you have paid over your money your opinions on the team are more sharpened.

Since I have stopped going to the away games I find myself less upset when they play poorly away.

Perhaps money comes into it for those overseas but for those of us that live 200 miles away, we spend at least as much money to watch Wednesday as locals do despite going going to less games. How often you attend neither dicates how big a fan you are or how much you care.

The reason we have more patience is because it's not a regular topic of conversation for us. I only know a couple of other Wednesday fans so other than moaning to the kids, distance definitely dampens anger/frustration somewhat.

Ive always lived within 10 minutes of the ground , but i dont think im any more  patient or impatient than some of our fans on the other side of the world ( Lancashire or Lincolnshire) . We are all fed up with whats happening right now. 

5 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

I would hazard a guess that Sheffield based Wednesday fans are far more likely to be subjected to p i ss taking from rival fans so have a far less tolerance level especially those that work with, go to school with or socialize with United fans. 

Unless you live in Norwich like me and there’s only one of you to be taken the p155 out of, unlike in Sheffield where at least you’ve got your pals to back you up

The more i read about not being a supporter if you dont attend just annoys me more. I guess it shouldnt but it does. Does this apply to everything or just football?

I watch England in the six nations rugby, love it. Cant afford to go though.

I watch us at the olympics, dont go though, guess i dont support us.

I watch the ryder cup at golf and want europe to win. i dont go though so i guess dont support europe either. 

I watch tennis and like supporting Murray and Konta. I dont go though. Guess i dont support them either.

I like watching the Seahawks play in the NFL. Have done ever since it was on CH4 years ago. Guess im not a fan as i have never seen them play.

I dont take the kids to football matches as i dont generally like -

1. the cost

2. the delinquent fans

3. the atmosphere for the kids

i guess after all this time i dont really support anything.

2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

The more i read about not being a supporter if you dont attend just annoys me more. I guess it shouldnt but it does. Does this apply to everything or just football?

I watch England in the six nations rugby, love it. Cant afford to go though.

I watch us at the olympics, dont go though, guess i dont support us.

I watch the ryder cup at golf and want europe to win. i dont go though so i guess dont support europe either. 

I watch tennis and like supporting Murray and Konta. I dont go though. Guess i dont support them either.

I like watching the Seahawks play in the NFL. Have done ever since it was on CH4 years ago. Guess im not a fan as i have never seen them play.

I dont take the kids to football matches as i dont generally like -

1. the cost

2. the delinquent fans

3. the atmosphere for the kids

i guess after all this time i dont really support anything.

Yep you've got it 

You support the telly 

28 minutes ago, torres said:

As far as the club, the players and the manager go, i'm nothing for that 10%.

Yes i would listen to the match and of course want them to win, but would NEVER comment on performance or feel i have the right to.

So for people who hardly ever go and comment i just find it strange. 

I'm sorry you feel you have to censor yourself. When I watch a Wednesday match live on TV I still feel I've seen a reasonable amount of the game - enough to be able to form a fairly valid opinion anyway.

Going back on-topic, I don't get to many games because of three things: location, finances and family commitments. If I lived anywhere near Sheffield I'd be an ST holder, and I'm sure I'd blindly continue to be even when the team is performing badly. I'd probably be more vociferous in my opinions in that case, but I tend to prefer to read/listen instead of argue my own points when it comes to team performance (the exception being in some of the Megson threads because, although I liked the guy for his passion, I saw some of the worst performances in my 30+ years of being a Wednesday fan during his short tenure...but I digress...).

Because I don't get to many games myself I find myself looking more at results and the league table than performances. I, again, tend to form my opinions on performances only when I've watched a match in person or a full game on TV, so I can understand that it might differ to the opinions to those who do go to every game, and I'm sure it makes me much more patient because I'm not expecting to be entertained. Last season in particular I read the horror stories of our performances around this same time of year, but was surprised that in the few matches I did manage to get to I didn't think we played as badly as social media and forums were suggesting. I always felt confident that we'd make the Play-offs again, but I've always seen the Play-offs as a lottery so I always go into them feeling that we have a 25% of winning them regardless of who else is in them and how the league season has fared.

I started this season in a similar way, thinking that when the pressure is on Carlos will do enough to get the results to get us into the Play-offs again, but what I've seen myself as being so stark is the fact we haven't addressed the lack of pace in the squad, and we're defensively weaker. Most teams, even ones who aren't playing well, still have a couple of players who have enough of a turn of pace to catch the opposition out on the counter attack. We don't. For much of the last two seasons any time we went a goal behind (unless it was right at the end of the game), I felt confident that we'd turn it around - and I'd never ever had that confidence in a Wednesday team before. This season that confidence is gone. It's mostly the same squad but it's getting older and slower. We've got some players who are, individually, amongst the better players in the division, but in a team with no pace or youthful fearlessness we no longer look capable of going on the kind of good run that'll get us back up to the top six.

9 minutes ago, billyblack said:

rest my case about the delinquent fans

You don't go so what good are you to Wednesday? I don't mean to be rude it's just a serious wondering?

I have worded that terribly, i apologise.

Edited by torres

Guest Bulgaria
5 hours ago, torres said:

The majority of fans that go to most of the games are from Sheffield, so its obviously those that get riled the most. 

Mate, i live 2500 miles away yet you should see the fist holes in my office wall!!!

Does someone want to educate Torres as to why the club are sinking thousands of pounds and man hours into attracting fans from Thailand and other countries to support our club?

Why would they do that I wonder?

(as a direct result we are now doing record amounts of merchandise and Ifollow sales to people overseas as well as attracting overseas business and sponsors but that might be too complex for Torres to comprehend in his mad feverish clamour to prove himself superior to everyone else)

And it's the Chairman (the fan that doesn't attend that many games himself but that's another matter) that's doing it too. So looks like Torres could be totally wrong on pretty much every point he's making

Maybe Torres could move into the club as full time advisor?

Am sure his tactics of hurling abuse at anyone who can't get to games would work a treat

Owlstalk Shop

I live near Meadowhell *. I go to all home games & some away. If we've been crap ie Preston, Bolton I'm fkng seething for 24 hours, angry for 24 then back to normal. The anger correlates to the performance.

Drained after Hull's late equaliser, happy after Brentford comeback. The result / performance dictates the mood, not where I live.

I'd agree with the OP that being further away would make you more tolerant, because you're not commuting to watch some of the dross of late. So there's no expense, no travel, no freezing your nads off etc.

Makes sense.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Does someone want to educate Torres as to why the club are sinking thousands of pounds and man hours into attracting fans from Thailand and other countries to support our club?

Why would they do that I wonder?

(as a direct result we are now doing record amounts of merchandise and Ifollow sales to people overseas as well as attracting overseas business and sponsors but that might be too complex for Torres to comprehend in his mad feverish clamour to prove himself superior to everyone else)

And it's the Chairman that's doing it too. So looks like Torres could be totally wrong on pretty much every point he's making

Maybe Torres could move into the club as full time advisor?

Am sure his tactics of hurling abuse at anyone who can't get to games would work a treat

Merchandise!!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 

It’s pretty simple, Torres.

The club receives income from ESPN.

It wouldn’t get that income if people like me weren’t watching games in the U.S.

There are also TV deals in numerous other countries and the ifollow deal too.

Ditto the sponsorship revenue it earns from foreign companies.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.