Should we sell Jordan Rhodes?

1 hour ago, welsOwl74 said:

guarantee if we get a fast right winger.fernando on left and gary with Jordon upfront ,under a different coach this team will be scoring for fun 

bar hooper none of our strikers score for fun ,because of clueless and his dire tactics 

Hooper and Rhodes will never make an effective front two imo, they do not have the chemistry. Hooper looks half the player when he's paired with Rhodes as he has to alter his game. I dare say that playing them together is doing Rhodes no favours either. I think it's a case of playing one of them off of Fletcher, Joao or big Dave to get the best from either and from what I've seen it's Hooper every time for me. Rhodes was a totally pointless and extravagant signing that caused us more problems than it solved (given how we play).

On a tangent here but the front pairing that I thought clicked straight away was ironically (given their bust up) FF and Winnall. I remember the Hudds league game at Hillsborough and we ended up with both of them up front for about 20 or so mins,  Winnall pulled their back line all over the shop with his non stop energy which FF exploited effortlessly and was buzzing around like his old self. I thought after the game that we had stumbled on a good front two...we never saw it again!

Edited by Walt

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

In league games? His minutes per goals ratio wouldn’t be so impressive I’d wager

Him scoring doesn’t necessarily relate to team success, something that’s been noted at his previous clubs Also, his relative recent improvement, in goal scoring terms anyway, has coincided with us sliding into the bottom half of the table

the last 5 league games he's played over an hour he's scored 3 goals.

1 of those goals got us a win at millwall, another the win at villa. the only one that "didnt matter" was saturdays where he gave us the lead against norwich.

if you're blaming a striker who scored regularly when played for the full match for us not picking up points then.. well.. i'm not sure i've ever heard that one before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cookeh said:

the last 5 league games he's played over an hour he's scored 3 goals.

1 of those goals got us a win at millwall, another the win at villa. the only one that "didnt matter" was saturdays where he gave us the lead against norwich.

if you're blaming a striker who scored regularly when played for the full match for us not picking up points then.. well.. i'm not sure i've ever heard that one before.

His goals per minute ratio this season is up there with Hoopers. 

Just now, Woodie said:

His goals per minute ratio this season is up there with Hoopers. 

yep.

170 something to hoopers 160 something iirc.

but a lot of rhodes minutes are as a 'last 15' sub and if you want a last 15 sub then rhodes isnt that player. joao, or nuhiu offer that 'something different'. rhodes seems to find it hard to get into games that are coming to a close.

but if you want a 90 minute guy who will probably score.. then he is. that's what he's doing for us when we actually give him time on the pitch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

My view, whether we change the manager or not, is yes I think we should

Sure we will have to take a hit, but we need to do it now while there are still clubs around that remember he used to score goals We will need to raise funds for January, and he would bring in the type of money needed to make any meaningful changes Things haven’t worked out for him here, and it would be best for all concerned if he were to leave

I’m sure that there will be people saying sell the deadwood first, but how realistic is that? If we can, sure, then do that as well

Rhodes though, would be fairly easy to sell, albeit at a knock down price, and it wouldn’t really weaken us in the way that say, selling Forestieri would Quite simply, Forestieri offers so much more than Jordan Rhodes does

If we sell him, he'll be the new

- Darko Kovacevic

- Gerald Sibon

- Leon Clarke

To name, but a few strikers who turned out to be decent players after all.

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

My view, whether we change the manager or not, is yes I think we should

Sure we will have to take a hit, but we need to do it now while there are still clubs around that remember he used to score goals We will need to raise funds for January, and he would bring in the type of money needed to make any meaningful changes Things haven’t worked out for him here, and it would be best for all concerned if he were to leave

I’m sure that there will be people saying sell the deadwood first, but how realistic is that? If we can, sure, then do that as well

Rhodes though, would be fairly easy to sell, albeit at a knock down price, and it wouldn’t really weaken us in the way that say, selling Forestieri would Quite simply, Forestieri offers so much more than Jordan Rhodes does

No we shouldnt sell him. We need to employ a manager who knows he has the most prolific striker the championship has seen in the past decade and who plays to his strengths. 

12 hours ago, Owl Be Back said:

I would prefer to keep all the current crop of players and just get a manager/coaching team in that actually know what they're doing.

I'm convinced that this set of players could get us promoted with the right setup and style of play in place.

We are at least 3 or 4 first team players short of a top 2 side and we are still missing pace and physicality. 

I think Chansiri needs to change his view on not selling players. Whether its Rhodes or someone else we need to bring in funds at some point to allow us to freshen things up. 

I'm torn. If our new gaffer plays to his strengths then he'll do well, and I'd keep him. At the moment though, if someone offered us whatever we paid I'd take it easily.

For me though, we need to get him a decent partner he could play with. Rudy Gestede please. Hopefully we'd be able to move Joao, Nuhiu and Fletcher on to accomdate him (and Winnall's return) but not holding my breath. 

Come on fellow Wednesdayites, we all watch games, surely you’ve seen the way the game has changed these last few years The game at this level now is about strong athletic players, pace on the counterattack, and pressing high up the pitch Where the hell does Jordan Rhodes fit into that

either rhodes or hooper would flourish under a more direct game of football with two decent wingers that take it to the by line and cross the ball. 

For me though, rhodes and hooper can not both play together both different players yes, but we need to build the team around of them and use the funds to get at least one quick winger in.

CC needs to go and we need to have a good half of season.

Just now, gurujuan said:

Come on fellow Wednesdayites, we all watch games, surely you’ve seen the way the game has changed these last few years The game at this level now is about strong athletic players, pace on the counterattack, and pressing high up the pitch Where the hell does Jordan Rhodes fit into that

This is correct pace has become an absolute necessity and it went this way a few years ago in Premiership and has now filtered down to Championship. Having said that a player without real fancy pace can still score goals (Harry Kane) but pace has to be present in team to get players such as that to edge of box otherwise team defends high up field. We need a new coach in before starting to sell anyone or buy any more players.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Come on fellow Wednesdayites, we all watch games, surely you’ve seen the way the game has changed these last few years The game at this level now is about strong athletic players, pace on the counterattack, and pressing high up the pitch

Maybe someone should have told Carvalhal.