Should we sell Jordan Rhodes?

2 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

Being old fashioned I want my centre forward to score goals. I’m not interested about link up play and running around a lot. He is paid to come alive in the box and score goals 

That is what Rhodes does. 

Its no suprise that when Hooper and Fletcher are paired we create nothing as Hooper goes too deep and Fletcher never gets into scoring positions 

Look at Reading game. No meaningful attempts on goal in 85 mins. Rhodes comes on and suddenly he gets on the end of something. Same against Hull nothing in 55 mins. Rhodes then in 5 mins sets up Fletcher and has a header on goal

Each to their own but we appear to create more with him in the team

Agree with your post in principle but - Being old fashioned I want my centre forward to score goals. To be fair he has missed hell of a lot more than he has scored, and a lot of those could of been classed as easy goals.

I know people will say he's not getting the service to play to his strengths, but when he does get the service he still misses a lot more than he should.

Best to get a new manager in and let him assess the squad. I believe several players' contracts are up this summer including Wallace, Pudil, Loovens and Nuhiu. There is therefore some scope to free up wages assuming we get real and don't have this 'We don't sell players, they're part of the family' stupidity that we've been told.

As for raising funds for Carlos to spend, forget it, he can't even sign a good defender when he's seen 200 to pick from!  His legacy is likely to be that of the man who was trusted with the funds and blew it for both himself and his immediate successor.

I don’t know who has been responsible for recruitment, more than just Carlos I’d wager That’s not to absolve the manager of his part in this, but recruitment since Wembley has been dire

£25 million spaffed In journeymen players who’s best days are behind them That Wembley side would give the current lot a proper pasting Big money wasted on , Reach, Abdi, Jones, Fox, Fletcher, Winnall, Boyd, and latterly, Van Aken The biggest waste by far though, was the  £10(8?) spent on Jordan Rhodes Whichever figure is correct, we were robbed, that’s for sure

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

My view, whether we change the manager or not, is yes I think we should

Sure we will have to take a hit, but we need to do it now while there are still clubs around that remember he used to score goals We will need to raise funds for January, and he would bring in the type of money needed to make any meaningful changes Things haven’t worked out for him here, and it would be best for all concerned if he were to leave

I’m sure that there will be people saying sell the deadwood first, but how realistic is that? If we can, sure, then do that as well

Rhodes though, would be fairly easy to sell, albeit at a knock down price, and it wouldn’t really weaken us in the way that say, selling Forestieri would Quite simply, Forestieri offers so much more than Jordan Rhodes does

I think this is totally sensible as we will need to sell some assets to change the team. Having top class strikers doesn't matter if you don't have the creativity to get them the ball. We need changes all over the pitch, wing, centre midfield, wing back. We may need to speculate to accumulate. Having Hooper, Fessi, Fletcher, Rhodes, Nuhiu, Joao and Winnall just isn't sensible when we don't have good creative players.

If  I thought someone would buy him, I would say sell. I doubt we could get him out on loan. He strikes me as the kind of player who will stay put rather than take a chance somewhere..and bizarrely I think he likes it here despite his on the pitch issues.

As a team we are going nowhere at the moment, so it might be time to look at certain individuals with big reputations and see what we can try to get the best out of them.

As bonkers as it sounds, I have a very strong suspicion that Rhodes would be at his best alongside a selfless, team player like Nuhui. I think the team would have more direction and focus with them up front as well.

We can play Hooper as an attacking midfielder then, and the other positions pick themselves.

To keep it this simple, we might have to rest a few favourites like Bannan.

Rhodes has the potential to a big player for us, and contrary to my previous thoughts, we are running out of options to turn our season around.

eh? No...why would we sell one of the most prolific strikers this division has ever seen?

Just need to play to his strengths, I lost count of the number of times he made good runs / space for himself last week and the ball didn't come in as the wingers/midfielders decided to go backwards.

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know who has been responsible for recruitment, more than just Carlos I’d wager That’s not to absolve the manager of his part in this, but recruitment since Wembley has been dire

£25 million spaffed In journeymen players who’s best days are behind them That Wembley side would give the current lot a proper pasting Big money wasted on , Reach, Abdi, Jones, Fox, Fletcher, Winnall, Boyd, and latterly, Van Aken The biggest waste by far though, was the  £10(8?) spent on Jordan Rhodes Whichever figure is correct, we were robbed, that’s for sure

8 million is the going rate for a striker these days,your conclusion that we was robbed is laughable,if it was 8million for someone like nuhiu or joao fair enough but we are talking about a proven goalscorer in the championship,it hasn't worked out yet,maybe it wont but saying its the biggest waste is wide of the mark.

abdi 4 million,matias 3 million,jones 3 million,giving nuhiu and loovens new contracts,giving fletcher a 4 year contract on 50k a week  are far bigger wastes than Rhodes.

add reach too 5 million for a bottom half "winger" 

Edited by welsOwl74

5 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

If  I thought someone would buy him, I would say sell. I doubt we could get him out on loan. He strikes me as the kind of player who will stay put rather than take a chance somewhere..and bizarrely I think he likes it here despite his on the pitch issues.

As a team we are going nowhere at the moment, so it might be time to look at certain individuals with big reputations and see what we can try to get the best out of them.

As bonkers as it sounds, I have a very strong suspicion that Rhodes would be at his best alongside a selfless, team player like Nuhui. I think the team would have more direction and focus with them up front as well.

We can play Hooper as an attacking midfielder then, and the other positions pick themselves.

To keep it this simple, we might have to rest a few favourites like Bannan.

Rhodes has the potential to a big player for us, and contrary to my previous thoughts, we are running out of options to turn our season around.

I do think Rhodes might fare better alongside Nuhiu, or even Joao However, to get the best out of them, we’d have to play two wingers, so no place for Hooper?  I’m not certain Hooper could play in a two man midfield, and quite frankly, he’d be wasted there Better to find the right partner for Hooper, and get shot of Rhodes

3 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

8 million is the going rate for a striker these days,your conclusion that we was robbed is laughable,if it was 8million for someone like nuhiu or joao fair enough but we are talking about a proven goalscorer in the championship,it hasn't worked out yet,maybe it wont but saying its the biggest waste is wide of the mark.

abdi 4 million,matias 3 million,jones 3 million,giving nuhiu and loovens new contracts,giving fletcher a 4 year contract on 50k a week  are far bigger wastes than Rhodes.

add reach too 5 million for a bottom half "winger" 

Seriously, when was he last a good championship striker?

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Seriously, when was he last a good championship striker?

last time he was in this division with Middlesbrough ,most of their fans was guttered he was leaving .

your happy to ditch Rhodes but happy for nuhiu or joao to partner hooper lol come on 

15 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

last time he was in this division with Middlesbrough ,most of their fans was guttered he was leaving .

your happy to ditch Rhodes but happy for nuhiu or joao to partner hooper lol come on 

Maybe, their coach wasn’t though To be honest, it’s how it will work best for us, Rhodes and Hooper doesn’t work

If FFP is restricting us as much as we are led to believe then I would listen to offers for all of our strikers and sell the first two that we get acceptable offers for. Then we could use that money to strengthen areas we need. However, with our recruitment record of late, I wouldn't be hopeful that the money would be spent wisely :biggrin:

Keep Rhodes, it's not even a question.

While Rhodes has played in a lot of games this season, he's played a lot of 20 minutes here, 10 minutes there. He's played over an hour only 7 times, and in those games he's scored 5 goals. It doesn't seem complicated to me. In the last 5 games where he's played more than an hour he's scored in 3 of them. Give him games, he scores goals, even with the not exactly stellar performances from half of our midfield recently.

At this point, I would look to move Fletch on in January. He's not had the impact we'd have hoped this season and not created a partnership with either of our goalscoring strikers (Hooper, nor Rhodes). He's 30, going on 31, and getting any fee as well as losing his wages would be a boost to our finances.

Hopefully in a month our season will look a little different.. and so might the side.

Westwood
Palmer - Lees - [Mulgrew] - Reach

Boyd - van Aken/[Thorne] - Bannan - Nando

Hooper - Rhodes

Nando and Boyd returning should make a significant difference. Both will be positive and improve us in an attacking sense. We need a defensive foil for Bannan, tho for me van Aken might be suited to it in the shorter term, and we need someone at the back, preferably a loan. outside of the 11, i'd happily move anyone on to get funds to pay for a defensive mid or center back. Mulgrew is still screaming out as the obvious signing. A solid player, calm, experienced, good on the ball and chips in with goals (7 so far this season!) not to mention fairly cheap. Alternatively I'd take Pudil in there over Loovens right now. At defensive mid, George Thorne from Derby is out of their side behind Joe Ledley and Tom Huddlestone. He's a quality player imo. Shields the defense well, has good anticipation and keeps things simple. He's be the perfect rock for Bannan to have the freedom to play infront of.

Make this lot available Abdi, Matias, Fletch, Jones, Pudil, Lee, Nuhiu. I'd be sad to see Lee go, but lets face it, it's a case of him or Bannan. Lee's very much off form right now and Bannan's a good, vocal force in the middle of the pitch and has been playing his heart out trying to turn things around. Probably our best player this season.

Anyway.. keep Rhodes is what i'm trying to say. ;p

7 minutes ago, Peake said:

If FFP is restricting us as much as we are led to believe then I would listen to offers for all of our strikers and sell the first two that we get acceptable offers for. Then we could use that money to strengthen areas we need. However, with our recruitment record of late, I wouldn't be hopeful that the money would be spent wisely :biggrin:

Perhaps not Hooper and Forestieri though They at least do their job, and their contributions are significant The same cannot be said about Jordan Rhodes

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Perhaps not Hooper and Forestieri though They at least do their job, and their contributions are significant The same cannot be said about Jordan Rhodes

5 goals in the 7 games that he's played an hour or more in this season.

Good starter, bad sub.

Don't blame the player because the manager keeps using him as a sub.

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I agree with Forestieri. Hooper is a weird one for me, we have a plethora of forwards but I don't see any as an ideal partner for him. He needs someone running beyond in my opinion to create space for him and give him the opportunity to create. So if we did receive a significant offer for him then I would let him go.

Edited by Peake

4 minutes ago, Peake said:

I agree with Forestieri. Hooper is a weird one for me, we have a plethora of forwards but I don't see any as an ideal partner for him. He needs someone running beyond in my opinion to create space for him and give him the opportunity to create. So if we did receive a significant offer for him then I would let him go.

That’s true, and the evidence suggests that we don’t have a good pairing among our pool of strikers Our best chance of raising funds to find one, is by selling Rhodes The only other two that we might get money for, Hooper and Forestieri, both offer significantly more than Rhodes does