Should we sell Jordan Rhodes?

Should never have signed Rhodes in the first place. Was a strange signing at the time. He wasn't what we needed. We all know what we lacked and needed. It wasn't another poacher. And Rhodes didn't suit how we play. We lacked power and pace. We needed strengthening in other areas, in defence and midfield but lacked pace more than anything.

We simply don't have the players to get the most out of someone like Rhodes. It was a waste of money. A pity we never had that kind of money when he was younger and banging them in for Huddersfield or Blackburn but he's not been the same player since, lost his sharpness and confidence playing at Middlesboro because he didn't suit how they played and he's got the same problem here.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t! If we play to him (like the goal at Norwich) he’ll bag 20+. Unfortunately, Bannan, Lee, Wallace, Reach, Matias *yawn* Jones, Butterfield etc aren’t good enough. He’s a proven goalscorer who thrives on the ball being put into the box. We don’t do it enough!

3 hours ago, Dylan93 said:

I wouldn’t! If we play to him (like the goal at Norwich) he’ll bag 20+. Unfortunately, Bannan, Lee, Wallace, Reach, Matias *yawn* Jones, Butterfield etc aren’t good enough. He’s a proven goalscorer who thrives on the ball being put into the box. We don’t do it enough!

That’s Jordan Rhodes in a nutshell Im afraid, a scorer of consolation goals

I don’t doubt that if everything is geared around Jordan Rhodes, he would score 20 goals, but that’s no good if the team lose 3-1

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s Jordan Rhodes in a nutshell Im afraid, a scorer of consolation goals

I don’t doubt that if everything is geared around Jordan Rhodes, he would score 20 goals, but that’s no good if the team lose 3-1

But surely Rhodes can only do what he is paid to do, that is score goals. When he scored against Norwich, it wasn't a "consolation goal". It was a goal that put us 1-0 up. He cannot be held responsible for what happens defensively.

23 hours ago, Owl Be Back said:

I would prefer to keep all the current crop of players and just get a manager/coaching team in that actually know what they're doing.

I'm convinced that this set of players could get us promoted with the right setup and style of play in place.

Agree a different manager would get a lot more out of them. But a good number of these players (leaving Carlos's negative tactics out of it for a moment) are not as good as they were 1-2 years ago. Pudil, Lee, Wallace, Forestieri (prior to injury), Loovens, Lees, Hunt of late. And the many new signings have not stepped up. 

We lack leadership, pace and physicality.

We would be a lot closer to promotion challengers with a good manager/coaching team, but we badly need new players in January who will provide the qualities above.

8 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

But surely Rhodes can only do what he is paid to do, that is score goals. When he scored against Norwich, it wasn't a "consolation goal". It was a goal that put us 1-0 up. He cannot be held responsible for what happens defensively.

No you’re right, but the channeling of all our resources to suit Jordan Rhodes would be Personally, I’d prefer an all action forward who contributes more for the team These days, at this level, you need more from your forwards 

17 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Nah, it’s all Rhodes’ fault that we lack leadership, courage, skill and organisation in defencive positions.

Rhodes was an odd signing at the time.  But we know where the problem lies regarding our deficiencies as a team.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

No you’re right, but the channeling of all our resources to suit Jordan Rhodes would be Personally, I’d prefer an all action forward who contributes more for the team These days, at this level, you need more from your forwards 

I was one of those that was well behind the club signing Rhodes. I thought it was the most exciting thing to happen for years. I couldn't understand your views at the time, indeed I thought them a bit ridiculous. With hindsight, I came to the conclusion that your views were far more accurate than mine. I would now support selling Rhodes providing the funds received were sufficient to fill other gaping holes in the team. I do however contend the view that Rhodes' goal tallies are predominantly made up of "consolation goals".

7 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

We have the best strike force in the division

We shouldn't break it up because Carlos is doing a rubbish job. 

My somewhat controversial idea to raise cash would be to sell Bannan and use the funds on a proper beast of a midfielder and a centre back. 

I don't think that's true. I think because there are "big names" such as Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper, it's easy to think that. But I haven't been impressed with Rhodes or Fletcher and I don't think you can blame the service either. When they've had it they've missed some astounding chances. 

Hooper is  excellent, no argument, but the rest are past their best. 

7 minutes ago, Bladeor said:

I don't think that's true. I think because there are "big names" such as Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper, it's easy to think that. But I haven't been impressed with Rhodes or Fletcher and I don't think you can blame the service either. When they've had it they've missed some astounding chances. 

Hooper is  excellent, no argument, but the rest are past their best. 

Yes, I’ve never bought into this It’s a bit blinkered to assume our easily recognised Brit strikers, were better than, say, Huddersfield’s low key German imports

I agree, Hooper, and of course, Forestieri, have true quality More importantly though, both of those players have adapted to the modern game Not sure that the likes of Rhodes and Fletcher have

On 12/11/2017 at 18:54, gurujuan said:

Three league goals, that’s what we are talked by about here, in how many matches?

err 5. i believe i mentioned it, right next to the '3 goals' bit.

end of the day, if you give someone 10 minutes per game, they're unlikely to score. but they will rack up appearances.

so when you whinge about "how many matches" it more than a little misleading.

again.. he's played a decent amount (hour or more) in just 7 games.. in those games he's scored 5.

it seems painfully obvious to me that we should just be playing him all game every game, and i dont really understand how anyone can be making an honest argument that we should sell him because he didn't score in the games where he got 10 minutes. like i really want to see someone write "i think we should sell him because he only scored goals when he gets game time" cos that's basically what you're saying.. and it's a laughable position when you say it out loud.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

err 5. i believe i mentioned it, right next to the '3 goals' bit.

end of the day, if you give someone 10 minutes per game, they're unlikely to score. but they will rack up appearances.

so when you whinge about "how many matches" it more than a little misleading.

again.. he's played a decent amount (hour or more) in just 7 games.. in those games he's scored 5.

it seems painfully obvious to me that we should just be playing him all game every game, and i dont really understand how anyone can be making an honest argument that we should sell him because he didn't score in the games where he got 10 minutes. like i really want to see someone write "i think we should sell him because he only scored goals when he gets game time" cos that's basically what you're saying.. and it's a laughable position when you say it out loud.

Looked at like that, the stats can be a bit misleading In fact, Nuhiu has a much better goals per minutes ratio in the league this season

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:04, gurujuan said:

Yes, I’ve never bought into this It’s a bit blinkered to assume our easily recognised Brit strikers, were better than, say, Huddersfield’s low key German imports

I agree, Hooper, and of course, Forestieri, have true quality More importantly though, both of those players have adapted to the modern game Not sure that the likes of Rhodes and Fletcher have

Fletcher was as bad a signing as Rhodes to be honest, it was inevitable that a striker dropping down to the championship at the end of his career - who already has a bit of a rep for having a poor attitude - wouldn't work out.

For me, Fletcher, Rhodes ,Joao and even George Hirst can all go in January. Let's apologise to Sammy Winnall and get him back as he showed the team work, attitude and commitment needed at this level. I would definitely keep Hooper and Forestieri as they are match winners, and obviously keep Nuhui as he proves his worth to the team whenever called upon.

8 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Fletcher was as bad a signing as Rhodes to be honest, it was inevitable that a striker dropping down to the championship at the end of his career - who already has a bit of a rep for having a poor attitude - wouldn't work out.

For me, Fletcher, Rhodes ,Joao and even George Hirst can all go in January. Let's apologise to Sammy Winnall and get him back as he showed the team work, attitude and commitment needed at this level. I would definitely keep Hooper and Forestieri as they are match winners, and obviously keep Nuhui as he proves his worth to the team whenever called upon.

Yes, and because of what they are costing us, they are two of the worst examples They are not alone though, virtually every signing since Wembley, has big question marks against them

46 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Looked at like that, the stats can be a bit misleading In fact, Nuhiu has a much better goals per minutes ratio in the league this season

5 goals in 7 games is a reasonable sample size to base something off. 1 goal is obviously not.

To me the idea of selling Rhodes should be absolutely off the table until he's had a good run in a team with fresh management, fresh ideas and maybe a fresh couple of players around him.

A player with a scoring pedigree at this level as good as his is an immediate selling point of the club to any new manager.