Bannan

2 hours ago, edwinowl said:

I know he was peed off with the fans on Saturday but in an awful team performance I thought he was head and shoulders above. We may struggle to keep him come January. 

Too good for the championship ,and there will be bidders for him in January im sure. 

Bannan played very well.

Hunt had a nightmare and like Loovens who i thought was also poor, as also lucky to stay on the pitch.

I think Van Acken's added pace and ability to pass at pace and forward from the CB position, would have been very useful tonight.

I still don't understand why we haven't tried Van Aken in the middle next to Bannan. Bannan is exceptional on the ball, but terrible without it. Having Butterfield next to him isn't giving us that grit in midfield (it only works in games where we have complete control / aren't pressed) that we need. Van Aken is a CB by trade so in theory should add more grit in the middle, with the added bonus that we all know he can play too. 

10 hours ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

Bannan was best player on pitch

Hunt and Lees were absolute garbage 

shocking defending for both goals

lots of fancy passing in non dangerous areas with no effect in final third

lucy to get a point tonight

Is Lucy the new nickname for Big Dave?

Any team in the Championship and a lot of bottom Prem teams would have Barry in their team without hesitation.

He is involved in everything because he makes sure he is invloved in everything. 

The criticism for sideways and backwards passing always annoys me. If the pass is on he makes it. He cant physically move players into a decent position for a forwards pass.

Top player

• Like 1

I remember last season when a vast majority were complaining about Bannan. 

Now he's the best midfielder in the country and Premier league class. Let's be truthful, he's a pretty good championship playmaker nothing more. If he was £15 million cm he'd be playing in the premier. He does have a good touch and decent passing range, so why is he still here??, why haven't the big bids come in??. I'm not usually one to knock our players but my observation is simple. He can't shoot, normally hits some poor schmuck eating his pie in row Z. He's very small and lightweight and not good enough defending. You can also argue that since everyone can admit he dictates our play, so he's partly to blame for our slow build up, he has to drop deep when we're being pressurised just like against United when they pressed us and cost us as he needs time on the ball and dwells on it . Hell never play as a cm in a Premier league side unless it's for us as he's not well rounded enough, villa played him wide?, palace did the same before letting him go?? Dosent that say it all. No power or pace, too lightweight in the air or on the ground and can't shoot,  all prime requirements for a Premier league cm. 

He's fantastic for us given space and time and if we play on the front foot with runners bombing past him to look up and feed, but when expected to sit in defend and break quickly he just becomes a bit of a liability. We keep saying we need to play to Rhodes strengths, maybe we also need to go back to playing to bazzas, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I remember last season when a vast majority were complaining about Bannan. 

Now he's the best midfielder in the country and Premier league class. Let's be truthful, he's a pretty good championship playmaker nothing more. If he was £15 million cm he'd be playing in the premier. He does have a good touch and decent passing range, so why is he still here??, why haven't the big bids come in??. I'm not usually one to knock our players but my observation is simple. He can't shoot, normally hits some poor schmuck eating his pie in row Z. He's very small and lightweight and not good enough defending. You can also argue that since everyone can admit he dictates our play, so he's partly to blame for our slow build up, he has to drop deep when we're being pressurised just like against United when they pressed us and cost us as he needs time on the ball and dwells on it . Hell never play as a cm in a Premier league side unless it's for us as he's not well rounded enough, villa played him wide?, palace did the same before letting him go?? Dosent that say it all. No power or pace, too lightweight in the air or on the ground and can't shoot,  all prime requirements for a Premier league cm. 

He's fantastic for us given space and time and if we play on the front foot with runners bombing past him to look up and feed, but when expected to sit in defend and break quickly he just becomes a bit of a liability. We keep saying we need to play to Rhodes strengths, maybe we also need to go back to playing to bazzas, 

Good observations but the majority are of the same opinion as me and its no surprise that he is being linked away from here

You have to remember we don't play with any pace on either flank and some of his cross-field passes are sublime in behind full backs

He was also the one doing most pressing last night, his job is not to hold but move forward

We need to keep hold of him and buy a pacey winger in my opinion, you are right about his shooting though, dire

Watched the 2nd half again

He drops deep and literally points and screams where Lees and Loovens should be passing the ball on numerous occasions

This is the club and vice captain, being told how to pass a football

Felt sorry for Bannan, carrying the team on his own at present 

Just now, edwinowl said:

Good observations but the majority are of the same opinion as me and its no surprise that he is being linked away from here

You have to remember we don't play with any pace on either flank and some of his cross-field passes are sublime in behind full backs

He was also the one doing most pressing last night, his job is not to hold but move forward

We need to keep hold of him and buy a pacey winger in my opinion, you are right about his shooting though, dire

As I said don't like skating the kid, just think as with a good percentage of our players we're playing a system and tempo that doesn't suit him. He's better in a 3 with wingbacks and runners going forward in front of him to give him options,, we know he's not great defending or in the air and can't shoot, but that didn't matter when we played on the front foot going forward he had options. At the moment he just keeps dropping deeper to find someone to be able to play a forward pass to which inevitably slows us down and when he looks up for a pass and there's nothing on it goes sideways or worse backwards. We do miss Nando on the left playing high up as an outlet and Lee in the middle running on past Hooper and whomever is up top with him. This for me is the main problem as both butterfield and Jones have about as much forward momentum as Loovens. We needed pace out wide and up top if we were gonna sit back and defend, we didn't get it... 

11 minutes ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Watched the 2nd half again

He drops deep and literally points and screams where Lees and Loovens should be passing the ball on numerous occasions

This is the club and vice captain, being told how to pass a football

Felt sorry for Bannan, carrying the team on his own at present 

Is that not part of the problem bud??, you wouldn't see a prem cm sitting alongside his cd telling them what to do he'd be in midfield asking for the ball and looking forward to play a pass driving us in the right direction?? 

6 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Is that not part of the problem bud??, you wouldn't see a prem cm sitting alongside his cd telling them what to do he'd be in midfield asking for the ball and looking forward to play a pass driving us in the right direction?? 

Take your point

But he could see we were tediously crawling through the game, so came down to the source of the problem and tried to change how we were distributing out from the back

I can't knock him for trying to do something about it

The rest would have plodded on all night

He always works his socks off, our best and most consistent player this season, lets not slag him for playing deep, cc dictates the tactics, you can bet that he is always supporting the attack but will be the first to support the defence, he cant be perfect every game but even on an off day he puts in the effort, loose him january and wele be well and truly up sh!t creek with no paddle