Tom Lees

21 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Starting to agree with this. Going downhill rapidly. 

Can't pass.

Cant run.

Easily bullied.

Wish we'd cashed in the chips.

This sums up Lees, and I’ve thought it for a while. also very apparent that he isn’t a leader at all. When Loovens isn’t there he’s un-workable. 

2 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Fletcher whacked the ball out of play under no pressure before their throw in.  

Could he not look forward? Quick pass to someone next to him? For some reason we’re dying to go backwards all the time. 

Then what ensued was pathetic. 

Yep- it's the mentality that's being drummed into them. 'If you can't see a pass, start again' - teams have worked it out and as soon as we do it they push up, force us back to Lees or Westwood who then just punt it forward anyway.

I can't believe for one minute that when Steven Fletcher came here his thought (on receiving the ball in the opposition half) would be to float a ball back into his own half in the general direction of the full back. 

If that ball even makes it to Lees, we know he’ll give it to Hunt,

who will give it back to Lees,

who will give it to Loovens,

who will give it Westwood,

who will lump it. 

If Flether (a forward) just thought of being positive instead, it wouldn’t have happened. 

What is this team doing ? 

50 minutes ago, daftpenguin said:

He's been poor lately but let's not do this. Him being off form doesn't suddenly retroactively not make him our most solid centre back over the last three years.

That said, he probably needs dropping for a couple. Could benefit van Aken's development also to play with his countryman Loovens.

This. Great defender and a fantastic asset to the club. Hasn't had to earn his spot for far too long though.

We actually got rid of a better centre half at the end of last season. OK, he had a tendency to roger up occasionally (like Lees this season) but, my God, he was far more comfortable on the ball and could actually make a forward pass/run...both of which Lees lacks in his game. 

Lees hasn't become gash overnight. One of the least enterprising centre halfs we have had at this club for a long time. I can now see why L**ds got shut. In fact I would go as far as saying our entire back 4 is probably about the poorest in this division. No pace, they cannot get a ball down the line, don't win no more than 50% of challenged headers and the amount of square and backward balls is just unbelievable.

Personally, with Lees it almost looks to me like his heads gone.

Been talked up loads, had a really good couple of years, seen other young English centre backs kick on and get big moves and even international caps, had a sniff of interest himself from the Premier League (to whatever extent). He's probably thought of himself as being on the verge of a major breakthrough that's stalled along with our own failure to get promoted. He looks absolutely lost to me. He's a complete shell of the player we in much part built our last 2 seasons around, defensively. 

He's one of a few who I honestly think has reached the end here unless there are major changes to both the coaching staff and some of those around him on the pitch. Playing like a player who needs a move.

Not his best game tonight usually much better alongside loovens but my view is loovens has been poor alongside him also, never looking to advance forwards and some suspect looking sideways passes.  Thought lees had a decent game v Bristol. He will come good again and since his arrival has overall been excellent. 

Van aken has been shaky but loovens isn't the way forward for me. Been a great servant but time to bed in van aken for next season. Lees also much better alongside hutch when fit and that may once again be the future pairing who knows.

I haven't seen the game today so won't comment on the performance, but I've seen enough this season to know that he's still a quality CB. It's not his ability that's the problem, it's that he has the heart of a mouse, and he always has. I know that may come across as harsh, but he has over 200 Championship appearances and approaching his late 20's and he still needs babysitting by Loovens. He's no captain, never has been.

He is Premier League quality (not England international quality though :biggrin:), but him playing there will be entirely reliant on him sorting his head out. 

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

Too many poor performances now. I can understand why Leeds got shut. The most negative player I've seen for a long time at Hillsborough.

50 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Lees hasn't become gash overnight. One of the least enterprising centre halfs we have had at this club for a long time. I can now see why L**ds got shut. In fact I would go as far as saying our entire back 4 is probably about the poorest in this division. No pace, they cannot get a ball down the line, don't win no more than 50% of challenged headers and the amount of square and backward balls is just unbelievable.

So important that you had to post it wrong twice, considering the phrase is 'get shot of him'.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

That is not only demonstrably incorrect, it's wrong by almost the entire width of the league. Regardless of our attacking threat, we've consistently had one of the stingiest defences in the Championship for the entirety of CC's tenure. No more or less than a simple fact.

Granted they've been slightly wobblier this season than in the previous two, but c'mon man.