Sam Winnall sounds well up for a permanent move away from Sheffield Wednesday

Winnall has flourished at Derby, hitting four goals in seven outings, including three in his past two matches.

When asked whether he would stay with the Championship club beyond the end of the 2017-18 season, Winnall told the Derby Telegraph: “Of course. I’m really enjoying my time here. Everything has been brilliant and the club has been really good for me"

"They’ve helped me out in so many different ways - not just on the pitch but off the pitch as well"

“That’s credit to the football club - they’ve been brilliant with me and you never know what will happen. You just have to take every day as it comes and see what happens.”

He said: “The club have been fantastic - they’ve made the transition of moving from Sheffield Wednesday to Derby so easy - and I’ve bedded in so well straight away, because they are a great bunch of lads,” added the former Barnsley and Wolves front man.

“I am starting to feel a little bit at home here. I love going in to training every day and long may that continue.

“Since I joined, I don’t think it has once gone through my head that I’m just on loan.

“I want to help this team to finish as high as possible this season.

“Whether it extends beyond that, who knows? I don’t know - but at the end of the day, all I can do is focus on the now and at the moment, I’m a Derby County player.”

Owlstalk Shop

...said every loanee playing well for their new club ever lol

Hope he gets 20 goals this season and Derby want to buy him. That'll be £10m then please, the going rate for a 20 goal season at this level nowadays.

But we'd probably be daft enough to just do a permanent swap for Butterfield..

• Haha 1

Just now, alanharper said:

Hope he gets 20 goals this season and Derby want to buy him. That'll be £10m then please, the going rate for a 20 goal season at this level nowadays.

Exactly every goal he scores his price goes up 

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

would you trust our recruitment with 10 million,neither would i

3 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Who can blame him. Been treated poorly here and given the choice of playing for a club who’s getting their act together or one that hasn’t got a club what it’s doing, I’m sure any sane player would prefer derby 

Agree on the first bit. 

On the second there isn’t much between us. 

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Who can blame him. Been treated poorly here and given the choice of playing for a club who’s getting their act together or one that hasn’t got a club what it’s doing, I’m sure any sane player would prefer derby 

Peaks and troughs, good luck to the lad, Derby best start preparing their bid. 

We already have Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Joao, Forestieri and Nuhiu.

We have to trim the squad and a striker needs to go, we have too many. We paid £500k for Winnall and if he carries on scoring as he is, he could be the answer to our FFP problems.

A good spell at Derby could see us make a tidy £3-£4m profit on him.

IMO he’s not as good as Hooper, or Rhodes. Nando, Fletcher and Joao all offer something different, it’s a no brainer for me, let him go if the price is right.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Time will tell, but he has performed better than Rhodes has recently. 

Fletcher and Hooper are our primary duo, but not getting any younger. FF is better as a midfielder/ wide forward IMO and the jury is out on him after a knee injury.

in terms of looking at players who want to prove themselves and have a good few years ahead of them you won’t get much better than Winnall, it’s right under our nose.

Edited by Bluesteel

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

There isn’t points wise but they are starting to get their act together we aren’t . We are joke off the field as well 

Derby have underperformed for years despite spending loads. A month or so ago they looked to have bombed again. It just shows how things can change and they could do here too. 

Villa another example.

There are a few issues here, particularly the perceived influence of Doyen, but many people are throwing the baby out with the bath water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Thats the problem Derby have now because there is no agreement in place to make it permanent.

If they want him and he hits 20 goals and he is capable of it. They will have to pay the going rate, could have been 2-3 million last summer, 20 goals later it will be 8-10 million.

Catch 22 for them.