Rhodes will never score till SWFC supply crosses

The crosses up until the Leeds game have been terrible. Not getting past the first man. If you count them there will be quite a lot but there useless. Rhodes doesn't get any, when he comes on we stop crossing the ball. Which is stupid. That's what happens every time. Poor lad deserves a fair go.

As much as the Hooper/Fletcher partnership seems to be working, its only Hooper who is scoring goals.

And although he isnt scoring goals, Fletcher's contribution to most games has been very good.

But how many more blanks does he have to draw before Rhodes gets a run of games? Or for that matter, Joao?

Surely the point of having so many strikers is to be able to chop and change when any of them arent scoring, and to keep it fresh.

I like Fletcher, so have nothing against him, but Im just throwing it out there.

Edited by steelerian

It's an interesting set of stats.  I confess I've never heard anyone say either that Rhodes needs us to cross more to score when he plays, or we don't cross enough.  

The Rhodes thing gets a little overthought perhaps.  At present he is third choice and I can't imagine anyone seriously rating him ahead of the first two.  He will inevitably get games, however, and let's hope it then clicks.  His assist for the Hooper chance at the death of the Leeds game was a promising moment

14 hours ago, RichieB said:

Kind of pointless to say that when Rhodes hasn't played much this season. If we'd supplied the 2nd most crosses in the league and Rhodes had played every minute this season and still not scored then a thread like this is needed, but not now. 

And who this season has said Rhodes wont score unless we supply crosses? Rhodes won't score unless he gets sufficient game time more like. 

25 crosses a game.

We score.

Fletcher off. Midfielder on.

Hooper of Rhodes on for last 5 minutes while we try to hold the game.

5 hours ago, steelerian said:

As much as the Hooper/Fletcher partnership seems to be working, its only Hooper who is scoring goals.

And although he isnt scoring goals, Fletcher's contribution to most games has been very good.

But how many more blanks does he have to draw before Rhodes gets a run of games? Or for that matter, Joao?

Surely the point of having so many strikers is to be able to chop and change when any of them arent scoring, and to keep it fresh.

I like Fletcher, so have nothing against him, but Im just throwing it out there.

14 goals for the duo from their last 13 partnerships

Rovrum - Fletch 2

Newcastle - Fletch 1

Cardiff 

Derby - Fletch 1 Hoops 1

Ipswich 

Fulham - Fletch 1

Burton - Hoops 1

Forest - Hoops 1 Fletch 1

Brentford - Hoops 1

Cardiff - Hoops 1

United - Hoops 1

Birmingham (crap Lino -1) 

Leeds - Hoops 2

Hooper 8

Fletcher 6. 

Equates to the pair scoring a rediculous 50 combined were they to stay fit all season.

P13. W9. D2. L2 GF21 GA12 

Equates to 102 points over a season

Hooper had a lean period but the partnership was scoring.

Now Fletch is having a lean period but the partnership is scoring.

They have to stay together whilstsoever it is working so superbly.

I strongly agree with Heppers. When Rhodes comes on part way thru a game he should partner whichever of Hooper or Fletcher comes off. Similarly if the second partner also leavescthe field we should finish the game with Rhodes-Joao or Rhodes-Nuhiu, to keep the strike partnerships as similar as possible. The firmula works. Rhodes as lone-striker while we defend a one goal lead is hopeless.

15 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

This should de-bunk the myth that we're a team that doesn't supply strikers with crosses

Data from whoscored.com

This season we've made 25 crosses per game, 2nd highest in the league

Championship Situational Statistics

R Team Cross pg Through Ball pg Long Balls pg Short Passes pg
1 Queens Park Rangers 26 0 76 304
2 Sheffield Wednesday 25 1 74 362
3 Barnsley 24 0 82 287
4 Millwall 24 0 78 220
5 Sheffield United 21 1 75 363
6 Aston Villa 21 2 67 351
7 Preston 20 0 72 303
8 Brentford 19 3 80 417
9 Hull 19 1 76 362
10 Bristol City 19 1 83 348
11 Birmingham 19 1 77 307
12 Bolton 19 0 78 278
13 Ipswich 19 0 80 274
14 Nottingham Forest 18 2 73 451
15 Reading 18 1 83 437
16 Middlesbrough 18 1 67 370
17 Sunderland 18 0 77 276
18 Burton 18 0 79 275
19 Cardiff 17 1 71 219
20 Wolverhampton Wanderers 16 1 72 420
21 Leeds 16 1 74 361
22 Derby 15 1 69 317
23 Fulham 14 3 58 434
24 Norwich 14 1 61 427
View:
Overall
Home
Away

I'm sure everyone as already said this but the true statistic is how many crosses have been played while he's on the pitch... got that stat? Didn't think so.

Why would anyone start a thread to bash a player who clearly just wants to get his head down and play it's not like he's out every weekend and takinhg p!ss like some of the dross we have had is it.

Edited by ...

he's obviously a good goalscorer you only have to look at his record to see that and when he as got on the field I cant remember him missing any sitters but then for that matter having many shots at goal either .....he needs someone to get injured and get a run in the team and hopefully get some confidence back but until that injury occurs I don't see him starting many games .

15 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Be careful, carry on producing convincing facts to support your sound arguments and the locals will run you out of town with their pitchforks.

Think people are too keen to drive Rhodes out with a pitchfork to be fair.

What's that advert about nicer problems to have? Rhodes is a proven Championship quality and a luxury to have as back up on the bench while our two current strikers are making hay.

He is Wednesday and I reckon he'll take his chances when he gets a run of games which is inevitable with Hooper and Fletcher injury histories.

Just to point out...

I'm not having a go at Jordan Rhodes. This is a response to those on here who have said we should never have bought him because we don't play the sort of football he can thrive on - 'he needs crosses'. The title is meant as a teaser; its something that others have said that I'm trying to debunk.

And in response to other posters:

Of course he can't score if we cross the ball and he's sat on the bench.

We're no more rubbish at crossing than most other teams. We're 5th in the league for the highest number of accurate crosses per game.

I'm not sure how they define crosses. We've created lots of chances from passes from wide areas. These may or may not be included in the stats. And I don't know how they define accurate. A dangerous cross into a good area might not be counted as accurate if nobody touches it.

Stats eh!