Jordan Rhodes

Guest Theboylangers

The problem Rhodes is having - and I have sympathy for him with this - is that when he comes on for Fletcher, he is asked to essentially play a back-to-goal, challenge-for-aerial-long-balls role. This isn't his game at all. He's not particularly adept at it.

Ideally he he needs to be playing off Fletcher. But that would mean dropping Hooper, something which you cannot justify at the moment.

Also when he comes on and is asked to play with his back to goal, it frees up a defender to keep a closer eye on Hooper, which does him no favours either.

I don't think it's any coincidence e that his only goals this season have come in a 20 minute spell partnering Nuhiu. Has he actually ever had a run-out with Fletcher before during his time here?

11 minutes ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

The problem Rhodes is having - and I have sympathy for him with this - is that when he comes on for Fletcher, he is asked to essentially play a back-to-goal, challenge-for-aerial-long-balls role. This isn't his game at all. He's not particularly adept at it.

Ideally he he needs to be playing off Fletcher. But that would mean dropping Hooper, something which you cannot justify at the moment.

Also when he comes on and is asked to play with his back to goal, it frees up a defender to keep a closer eye on Hooper, which does him no favours either.

I don't think it's any coincidence e that his only goals this season have come in a 20 minute spell partnering Nuhiu. Has he actually ever had a run-out with Fletcher before during his time here?

Absolutely spot on - if we continue with this approach it may prove the biggest waste of money in our history.

When you spend £8m a club record fee on a player he ought to be starting every week. If he's on the bench then you ought to hope he can come on and influence a game, even one that's going badly wrong. 

I don't know what's happened to the lad but since his first few performances for us he's looked like one of the most average, unfit, ineffective strikers I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt. And I'm not exaggerating for effect, forget his previous career - on his last 6 months of performances alone he's been dreadfully poor. 

10 minutes ago, paulrs said:

When you spend £8m a club record fee on a player he ought to be starting every week. If he's on the bench then you ought to hope he can come on and influence a game, even one that's going badly wrong. 

I don't know what's happened to the lad but since his first few performances for us he's looked like one of the most average, unfit, ineffective strikers I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt. And I'm not exaggerating for effect, forget his previous career - on his last 6 months of performances alone he's been dreadfully poor. 

I agree - he's been absolutely dire. He shouldn't be in the 18 for me.

Where was this thread last week when we  conceded last minute or after the the 2 games we won before that?  

If all you are doing is asking a question, why ask after today's game?  Don't look for something that isn't there.

We all know we aren't playing to Rhodes strengths but starting this thread after today , No need.

5 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

He was completely ineffective when we brought him in in the first place - why do you think they let him go?

I don't know whether he picked up a knock or mentally it's just not there, but what kind of striker declines to take a penalty?  That spoke volumes to me.

I think many people seem to forget that he made his career at Huddersfield and that was the real issue for his reluctance, not 'bottling it' on the big occasion due to crushed confidence.

Maybe it's his misplaced sense of priorities/loyalty but imagine how we'd feel if it was D Hirst snarling at the penalty spot whilst playing for Southampton in a modern day comparable situation.