Jordan Rhodes

Guest Theboylangers

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I would argue, that the games moved on

Rhodes has done nothing yet to convince me that he's going to suddenly come good, especially when compared to Hooper, Fletcher and Winnall. Even Joao showed a bit of purpose yesterday after months as the forgotten man.

And before we get carried away in the accepted wisdom that Carvalhal has "ruined him", we should consider his mediocre performance at Middlesbrough which saw him on the bench a good deal of the time and the fact that he ended his otherwise prolific spell at Blackburn with just 4 goals in his last 18 appearances. Maybe this decline is the beginning of the end for him as a high profile player?

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I would argue, that the games moved on

Its still about support and decent supply - two things Rhodes isn't really getting here.

For the record I was never for signing him - we just didn't need him but nevertheless he could definitely do a job here if used properly. 

Could be difference when it really counts - helping Middlesbrough get over the line when required.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

14 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

CC has ruined him - absolutely no idea how to use him.

Gone from lower Prem/upper Champ to Pub player in a matter of months - a staggering achievement. 

Thats harsh on Carvalhal.

rhodes has had opportunities.

hooper fletcher, winnall, forestieri and even Joao on Sunday have scored goals in this team.

saying that this is all down to him not playing to rhodes strength is a bit much.

people keep going on about crosses in the box etc - well that’s not hoopers game so maybe people would be saying things about him had cc changed the system to suit rhodes.

hooper is far better player than rhodes.

the result was definitely not rhodes fault yesterday- he was however completely ineffectual when he came on.

Edited by ka58

The Rhodes signing has surely got to be one of the most ridiculous things this Club has ever done.  He clearly does not suit our style of play and I personally don't think he suits many clubs. Maybe 3-5 years ago but not now. Rhodes always suits playing with a big man up front with direct wingers who bombard crosses in so he can feed off knockdowns from the target man and also off scraps. Football has moved on and not many clubs play like this any more.

Rhodes is not talented enough to play up front in the modern game. You need to have some technical ability with good link up play or some pace. He doesn't have any. It's harsh but it's true.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Rhodes has done nothing yet to convince me that he's going to suddenly come good, especially when compared to Hooper, Fletcher and Winnall. Even Joao showed a bit of purpose yesterday after months as the forgotten man.

And before we get carried away in the accepted wisdom that Carvalhal has "ruined him", we should consider his mediocre performance at Middlesbrough which saw him on the bench a good deal of the time and the fact that he ended his otherwise prolific spell at Blackburn with just 4 goals in his last 18 appearances. Maybe this decline is the beginning of the end for him as a high profile player?

I genuinely feel it is more likely to be, that the game has taken a different direction

Even I would have been delighted, had we signed Jordan Rhodes when we first came up

However, the game has changed dramatically in the last two or three years Today I was listening to a discussion about the emphasis on a heightened (literally) physical presence, particularly in midfield Also, the way sides counterattack  at pace These changes, I feel, have made players like Rhodes, largely redundant

16 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Thats harsh on Carvalhal.

rhodes has had opportunities.

hooper fletcher, winnall, forestieri and even Joao on Sunday have scored goals in this team.

saying that this is all down to him not playing to rhodes strength is a bit much.

people keep going on about crosses in the box etc - well that’s not hoopers game so maybe people would be saying things about him had cc changed the system to suit rhodes.

hooper is far better player than rhodes.

the result was definitely not rhodes fault yesterday- he was however completely ineffectual when he came on.

Rhodes doesn't fit the system so playing him in the current set up makes no sense.

Its robbed him of any confidence and form.

He has performed well elsewhere but has been totally ineffectual here - that lies to a large degree with the manager.

Abdi is another one - great at Watford and bar Forest, ineffectual here (when fit)

Yes the players do the job on the pitch but it's up to the manager to get the preparation, selection and tactics right - something CC isn't doing with Rhodes.

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Rhodes doesn't fit the system so playing him in the current set up makes no sense.

He has performed well elsewhere but has been totally ineffectual here - that lies to a large degree with the manager.

Abdi is another one - great at Watford and bar Forest, ineffectual here (when fit)

Yes the players do the job on the pitch but it's up to the manager to get the preparation, selection and tactics right - something CC isn't doing with Rhodes.

For me that's the greatest frustration, recruitment seems all over the place, with no attention paid to what we need, or the way we want to play

4 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

This sums it up for me. To say he is finished at 27 years old is harsh, especially when all we see him for is 20-30 minutes when we are either chasing a result or looking to shore things up. We are hardly going to see the best of him in those circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't start him at the moment. Hooper is the first name on the team sheet for me and Rhodes would not be an effective partner. These cameo substitutions are doing him no favours either though, we would have been better of bringing Nuhiu on yesterday. The only time he has looked effective for us was at Bolton - when he had Nuhiu as a partner or early on when he had Winnall up top with him.

Unless we change shape completely and play Hooper behind a front 2 which is way too attacking for our current approach, then playing Rhodes is pointless for us and for him. He won't get scoring opportunities and the little time on the pitch will do his confidence no good as the crowd will be more frustrated.

I feel CC doesn't have the man management skills required.....I don't think he can motivate the players to get the best out of them.....I cannot see him praising or bollocking them...........the team is now in a comfort zone where they know "Mr Nice Guy" will carry the flack with some bizarre post match comments and then move on...........CC is not there to be liked by the players.....kick ass if needed.....mother them if needed......but FFS get it sorted.

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This sums it up for me. To say he is finished at 27 years old is harsh, especially when all we see him for is 20-30 minutes when we are either chasing a result or looking to shore things up. We are hardly going to see the best of him in those circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't start him at the moment. Hooper is the first name on the team sheet for me and Rhodes would not be an effective partner. These cameo substitutions are doing him no favours either though, we would have been better of bringing Nuhiu on yesterday. The only time he has looked effective for us was at Bolton - when he had Nuhiu as a partner or early on when he had Winnall up top with him.

Unless we change shape completely and play Hooper behind a front 2 which is way too attacking for our current approach, then playing Rhodes is pointless for us and for him. He won't get scoring opportunities and the little time on the pitch will do his confidence no good as the crowd will be more frustrated.

Dont get me started on Winnall.

Look promising and scoring a few goals..? never mind son, thanks now off you go

When this is all over people will look back and realise the scale of mediocre management and poor decision making that we are currently witnessing.

Oh and the huge opportunity currently slipping down the plug hole.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

17 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Well he’s not playing him in the system is he - he’s playing hooper and fletcher who are doing well.

what would he do - change the system and drop hooper? Fletcher?

abdi has been a waste of time - unfit since the day we got him.

i don’t disagree cc has is failings - but you can’t blame him solely for rhodes failings - rhodes has to take some.

and if rhodes is incapable of adapting - maybe he’s not the player people thought.

2 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Our transfer policy has been a complete shambles and I hope someone hasn't made a shed load of money on the back of naivety.

You must be naive to think no one has made a shed load of money of our recruitment policy . 

1 minute ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Our transfer policy has been a complete shambles and I hope someone hasn't made a shed load of money on the back of naivety.

owd Emanulson certainly cashed some coin if the reports were correct.

I think we are a front for a Columbian drug trafficking operation. I'm surprise we haven't been investigated for money laundering.