Jordan Rhodes

Guest Theboylangers

Just now, Hawkowl said:

My Friend.

If only you new how superior it is.

I hope you are now as we very speak.

Face down and spread eagled on your living room floor.

I can only apologise for your position if you are still in the pub.

Im at home watching an X Factor repeat with my wife asleep on the sofa. But I'm spread eagled in a beautiful homage. Welcome to my world 

6 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

He was completely ineffective when we brought him in in the first place - why do you think they let him go?

I don't know whether he picked up a knock or mentally it's just not there, but what kind of striker declines to take a penalty?  That spoke volumes to me.

Just now, Shelley Owl said:

Im at home watching an X Factor repeat with my wife asleep on the sofa. But I'm spread eagled in a beautiful homage. Welcome to my world 

Thank you my man.

And I bow down to your homage.

But I think you will find that X factor is actually a load of poo .

But enjoy your evening as I guess your wife is actually bored by the whole occasion.

[I know mine is]

At the moment, it's little more than a theory that Rhodes will score plenty if the rest of the team do the hard work for him. His career statistics to this point is good evidence that this is possible. But from what I've seen of him, he's been lethargic, laboured, lacking in confidence and offering little to demonstrate that his skills aren't in significant decline. For whatever reason, Middlesbrough didn't have much faith in him.

41 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

No one is blaming Rhodes for what happened today. And there's certainly a good deal of justification in pointing out that his abilities are not effectively exploited by the way we play. But it's still fair to ask if we will look back on him as a gigantic waste of money at the expense of more needy areas of the squad. He has had a lot of opportunities and simply has not looked like a difference maker.

My posts are very boring and not creating chances. But despite that, Fletcher, Hooper (and to a lesser degree Winnall) were all contributing goals at a decent rate. Rhodes' strike rate is abysmal by comparison. Hooper has scored as many in the last 5 games as Rhodes has since we bought him 9 months ago.

Totally agree

6 hours ago, Saxondale said:

lol

Reach defending like a 12yo

Hunt getting mugged off by a 12yo

Van Aken playing like a carthorse

Lees Getting bullied by Leon flipping Clarke.

Westwood being very average for every goal

Jones being non existent first half

But let’s throw the book at Jordan Rhodes for a 15 minute cameo.

Unbelievable.

Brilliant post. Many many more crap performances and reasons we lost. Rhodes wasn't one of them. 

15 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

He doesn't get any sodding service for Christ sake.

he doesn't create his own goals, he never has, he feeds off balls into the box.

bad signing because our manager is incapable of playing to his strengths 

Is that kind of striker becoming a bit outdated in modern football at the higher levels? With the physical demands on players these days, can a team afford to carry a goal hanger who does not contribute much more to the overall effort? And it's been quite a while since Rhodes has demonstrated he could even do that much. Even before his disappointing spell at Middlesbrough, he scored just 4 in his last 18 appearances for Blackburn (although to be fair to him, he did get 7 in the 5 games before that).

11 hours ago, Theboylangers said:

but he has regressed to the point of being almost embarrassing.

He isn't doing anything differently to what he's done anywhere in his career. 

Watch that Huddersfield game back in full. The one where people think he destroyed us. Count how many touches he has in that game. 

He's just doing the same things now....but in a side who's game plan isn't directed to getting the ball to him.

11 hours ago, Theboylangers said:

Have we destroyed previously one of the best strikers in this division? 

Not destroyed . Same player.

Barmy signing. Was never going to fit into what we do.  

Said it before we got him, and would have warned the Chairman if he'd ever open my mail to him!:ph34r:

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Its a pity he listened to his dad in the first place Biggest waste of money since Francis Jeffers

He also listened to the 95% of fans who desperately wanted us to sign Rhodes. Those self-same fans who have already turned their back on the player.

I am not including you. I know you were one among very few who didn't see him fitting.  But to compare him to FJ is simply daft. Rhodes isn't working because of how we are using him. Jeffers didn't work because he was useless.

6 hours ago, A12owl said:

They all play a different role and need different service. If Rhodes had been on the pitch instead of Hooper would he have been in the same position and scored? Who the heck knows?

Rhodes might have scored from positions that the other strikers didn't get into. Although on today's evidence there weren't many opportunities for any striker . We didn't create anything. 

Game plan..........what was it?

Going behind after 2 minutes seemed to throw  any ideas we may have had out of the window. We got out-hassled, out-thought, out-muscled, out-passioned and in the end totally embarrassed by Wilderbeasts men. Only Hooper could hold his head up. The other 10 on the pitch all had a bad game on the worst possible day. 

The judgement will be what happens on Wednesday and next Sunday.

The lot from up the M1 will be laughing their socks off at our dismal performance and might just become a little over confident. Best chance Carlos has of regaining some respect but only if we win by another 6-0.

Balls in Carlos court. 

Rhodes and Hooper up front with 2 wing men belting in crosses all night long at Birmingham.  

Back to Rhodes ......if the team play to his strengths he will score. To say Hooper has scored as many as Rhodes etc only confirms that Rhodes isn't being played with the right tactics. 

Great signing wrong tactics. Everyone can see it except....you know who.

We have a winner,nailed it 110%.

33 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

New manager and Rhodes will score a shed load. 

100%.

Right now our site and our fans are in love with Hooper, and rightly so.

But if Gary was coming on after 75 minutes, as lone-striker, defending a 2-1 or 1-0 against the mighty Brentford or Forest, waiting isolated up top trying to get on the end of a hopeful punt, he would look as ungainly, as frustrated and as incompetent as Jordan looks right now.

Just like Hooper, Rhodes needs to be part of a coherent strike-force. He needs to be in partnership with quality like Fletch or Hoops, and even with the speedy strong Joao. To post him up front for twenty minutes with no partner is frankly pathetic.

My understanding is that he is an extremely frustrated player. He deserves to be used properly, not in the ham-fisted mis-managed way Carlos is using him.