Carlos clarifies Forestieri comments

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

He's clarified the following for me.

Carlos thinks Foresteri is best employed on the left of midfield.

Foresteri disagrees and says he feels he plays better centrally.

Carlos relents, plays the player where he wants, even though CC knows this will be to the detriment of the team, then tells us this won't happen all the time.

I still find it as embarrassing for both parties and as worrying for SWFC, as when I read the original quotes.

Thanks for the clarification.

When did he say that?

13 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

FF on left great chance of promotion, down the middle wasted season. 

Most likely it will be

four games striker, 

too few goals

poor results

switch left

more goals

great results

switch back to striker

repeat

Like the last two seasons

In FF's first season we had a hungry player who was bagging goals, I was shocked at how regular he was scoring.

Now we have a player who's confidence is either shot or who isn't playing for the manager.

He used to harass people, sniff anything out and more importantly shoot fromlong range which would either sail in or cause the opposition keeper problems. Do we see that now? It's time to stop pretending, the old FF is gone and the manager is the cause of that. FF is no longer the weapon he was.

Edited by Redcoat

35 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

When did he say that?

Sorry, I was paraphrasing. Taking his statements and behaviour into account he gives the impression that he feels FF is better employed on the left. However, you are right in saying he hasn't said this explicitly.

But if that isn't his belief then why bring up the whole sorry story in the first place? If Carlos agrees that FF is best played centrally then surely there isn't even an explanation to be given?

Instead he threw the player under the proverbial bus in his post match interview, telling us all that he doesn't want to play on the wing.

I feel it was a flippant attempt to direct attention away from a poor performance; instead it showed Carlos' real lack of strength in his own convictions and serious frailties in his man management.

Edited by Cosby Blunkett

4 minutes ago, Redcoat said:

In FF's first season we had a hungry player who was bagging goals, I was shocked at how regular he was scoring.

Now we have a player who's confidence is either shot or who isn't playing for the manager.

He used to harass people, sniff anything out and more importantly shoot fromlong range which would either sail in or cause the opposition keeper problems. Do we see that now? It's time to stop pretending, the old FF is gone and the manager is the cause of that. FF is no longer the weapon he was.

Yet pretty much everyone agreed he was our best player on Saturday and most had him as one of our best performers against Huddersfield. So he's clearly not the biggest problem currently. 

38 minutes ago, Redcoat said:

I actually think he's become a bigger weapon over time.

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Who's done more (as a striker) from our current options?

Depends what you mean by done more. and in what time frame 

Career-wise, most of them. 

Last season, Fletcher. (Goals per minute played)

39 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Sorry, I was paraphrasing. Taking his statements and behaviour into account he gives the impression that he feels FF is better employed on the left. However, you are right in saying he hasn't said this explicitly.

But if that isn't his belief then why bring up the whole sorry story in the first place? If Carlos agrees that FF is best played centrally then surely there isn't even an explanation to be given?

Instead he threw the player under the proverbial bus in his post match interview, telling us all that he doesn't want to play on the wing.

I feel it was a flippant attempt to direct attention away from a poor performance; instead it showed Carlos' real lack of strength in his own convictions and serious frailties in his man management.

I agree, Carlos has thrown FF under the bus a little here, and I think he knows that which is why he felt the need to explain himself. But looking at it as a whole I think he's just feeling the pressure and letting his guard slip. Why else would he even talk about these things in public?

My take on it, is that Carlos definitely sees FF primarily as a forward, but who's more than capable of playing on the left when the need arises. 

I think journalists can be very sneaky in how they interpret things sometimes. Earlier in the summer it was reported that we'd see FF on the left more this season, and some people will just take that at face value and think Carlos now sees him more as a winger. 

In reality he was simply being asked how he was going to manage his ridiculous number of strikers. The fact is they can't all play so inevitably FF will be used on the left more often to accommodate this. 

Nowhere did he say FF wouldn't play up top. Nowhere did he say he rates any of his other strikers higher than FF. So you have to assume FF will still feature as a forward sometimes. 

Then he reveals a conversation between him and FF regarding his form in pres season and it instantly jumped on as Carlos giving in to him. 

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Because Carlos is either blind, stupid, or being told to play him striker.

No clear-thinking intelligent manager in control of selection would see him as a striker.

Play him in the hole in a 5212. Its the only way. We have a good squad 3 defenders away from playing how it should be played. Having 7 strikers is frankly a joke

9 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Play him in the hole in a 5212. Its the only way. We have a good squad 3 defenders away from playing how it should be played. Having 7 strikers is frankly a joke

Carlos need to break with dogma to make the best out of our squad. 

So ridiculous to gave so many quality strikers not in the team. 

Edited by Bodhidharma

4 hours ago, Bodhidharma said:

But it's still a problem.

He needs to play on the left.

Why isn't he? 

Because you would need to change the formation to accommodate him playing there if the thing about tracking back is true. For me he would have to play wide left in a 451 formation or effectively 433, which may be the case at times. As CC says the formation we play is very adaptable and changes from a 442 during games (sort of contradicted myself here). If the midfield contained an extra man to cover FF he wouldn't need to track back as much.