Carlos clarifies Forestieri comments

37 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Play him in the hole in a 5212. Its the only way. We have a good squad 3 defenders away from playing how it should be played. Having 7 strikers is frankly a joke

Why is it the only way?

Our record, in a 442, with FF left, is Championship-winning.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Why is it the only way?

Our record, in a 442, with FF left, is Championship-winning.

No it isn't. 

He's played there maybe 25/30 times in total with mixed results.

You can't just pick and choose the ones that suit. 

1st season you had a bit of a point (even though it was based on the most basic stats that didn't really prove anything), 2nd season showed it was nothing special.

4 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Really not sure that's true. He still suggested FF would play wide against the weaker teams. Let's see if that's true when we play QPR.

Problem with that is,. As we've seen in this league these days there aren't very many weaker teams, bud. Most teams can beat anyone on there day. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

"Nando is better on the left"

"Nando is better up top"

"Nando will play on the left this season"

"Nando doesn't like playing left and wants to play up front"

:duntmatter:

"Nando can hear the drums"

"Nando recalls the frightful night we crossed the Rio Grande"

“So far, he has been training all week on the left and doing very well. It is an option for him to play more on the left but if we need him in the centre then he will do okay, for sure,” he said. “Fernando is happy to play anywhere. If he had to play centre half, he is happy because he wants to play. Same behaviour if on the left or the centre.”

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-in-which-position-does-carlos-carvalhal-see-fernando-forestieri-playing-this-season-1-8651154

Carvalhal said: “I asked Fernando for his reasons why he had a bad pre-season.

“The answer he gave was he can’t play on the left side because he must track back to defend and doesn’t feel energy to attack.

“Fernando said he feels totally comfortable in attack and completely out of position on the left side.”

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-carvalhal-fronts-up-fernando-forestieri-isn-t-happy-to-be-owls-wing-man-1-8688729

However, Carvalhal was keen to point out at the club’s Middlewood Road training ground on Monday that he and Forestieri both feel he will do more damage in a central role this term.

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-boss-clarifies-fernando-forestieri-role-comments-1-8690924

Carvalhal said: “Fernando is one of the best players that I have managed in my career. He’s a fantastic player with fantastic abilities. “I think he can jump to another level. Sometimes he goes to that highest level. He’s a fantastic player and a very nice guy.”

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-boss-clarifies-fernando-forestieri-role-comments-1-8690924

lol 

Edited by SiJ

If he's gonna play FF centrally the only way it'll work imo is playing him at the apex of a diamond midfield behind 2 strikers, with hutch deep and Lee/Bannan/Abdi as the other two. This way hutch can drop into a central back 3 and hunt and reach can provide the width. 

If he's gonna continue to play a 442 with fernando as one of the front 2 we may aswell kiss our season goodbye cos it simply doesn't work, may aswell try and cash in on Rhodes and Winnall too.

2 minutes ago, Tom22709 said:

If he's gonna play FF centrally the only way it'll work imo is playing him at the apex of a diamond midfield behind 2 strikers, with hutch deep and Lee/Bannan/Abdi as the other two. This way hutch can drop into a central back 3 and hunt and reach can provide the width. 

If he's gonna continue to play a 442 with fernando as one of the front 2 we may aswell kiss our season goodbye cos it simply doesn't work, may aswell try and cash in on Rhodes and Winnall too.

First part of that is bang on.

Second part is savage but true. 

FF is a wide attacker in a front 3 - this is absolutely evident!  That is his best position and we don't play that system.  If we are still persisting with the 4-4-2 formation, I would rather Hooper play the number 10 role as he is better at it.  He is a very clever player and he doesn't get knocked off the ball like FF.  I am not overly comfortable with FF playing as a winger as I don't see him as a winger to carry out some defensive duties.  I can see him playing in this position against weaker sides at home or when we are behind needing to get back into the game tho.

The 4-3-3 system will suit FF and our crop of centre midfielders such as Bannan, Lee, Abdi and Hutch.  But I don't see Carlos doing it has he has brought in too many front line strikers and it would make a mockery of our recruitment strategy.

Always find it amusing how people are so quick to defend all our other strikers and blame Carlos when they don't produce, but not Forestieri. 

If it's Rhodes, Hooper, Fletcher or even Winnall, it's down to the system, service or not having the right partner. Yet when it's FF, it's because he's "better on the left wing". A victim of his own ability and versatility.

It's mental.

He's scores just as many as the rest and is the only one that genuinely gives defenders nightmares. 

We're wasting the best player we've had since Di Canio by not getting the best out of him. Either by changing formation or playing him alongside a suitable strike partner.

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I agree, Carlos has thrown FF under the bus a little here, and I think he knows that which is why he felt the need to explain himself. But looking at it as a whole I think he's just feeling the pressure and letting his guard slip. Why else would he even talk about these things in public?

My take on it, is that Carlos definitely sees FF primarily as a forward, but who's more than capable of playing on the left when the need arises. 

I think journalists can be very sneaky in how they interpret things sometimes. Earlier in the summer it was reported that we'd see FF on the left more this season, and some people will just take that at face value and think Carlos now sees him more as a winger. 

In reality he was simply being asked how he was going to manage his ridiculous number of strikers. The fact is they can't all play so inevitably FF will be used on the left more often to accommodate this. 

Nowhere did he say FF wouldn't play up top. Nowhere did he say he rates any of his other strikers higher than FF. So you have to assume FF will still feature as a forward sometimes. 

Then he reveals a conversation between him and FF regarding his form in pres season and it instantly jumped on as Carlos giving in to him. 

Its a mixture of people filling in the gaps due to a very slow drip feed of information from the club and them using their imagination as usual.

I am really worried that the touchstone for Carlos in this issue is the defending, CC worrying about an attack minded player (FF) HAVING to defend really really shows us what problems we have,

Forestieri would never be doing any defending whatsover if we pushed up and pressed from the back and middle and had hold of the ball, If the right back is having a good game then switch - Simple, Move Boyd to the left and FF to the right if that is the case - I can guarantee one of the two full backs will not handle FF, It's not hard to figure out,

No full back in this league would be able to think straight with the attack we could put together never mind get forward - The debate CC is putting forward for FF not playing wide shows you exactly how negative we are when the first thing in mind is wastes of energy tracking back, If we played in the right manor opposition full backs would not get out of their own half. We can easily balance one side up with a solid wide man (Boyd, Wallace) and chance that one of the two Opponents will find it hard to handle FF, We all know he is that good,

Worrying and baffles the hell out of me,

16 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Always find it amusing how people are so quick to defend all our other strikers and blame Carlos when they don't produce, but not Forestieri. 

If it's Rhodes, Hooper, Fletcher or even Winnall, it's down to the system, service or not having the right partner. Yet when it's FF, it's because he's "better on the left wing". A victim of his own ability and versatility.

It's mental.

He's scores just as many as the rest and is the only one that genuinely gives defenders nightmares. 

We're wasting the best player we've had since Di Canio by not getting the best out of him. Either by changing formation or playing him alongside a suitable strike partner.

You miss the point.

Hooper, Fletch, Hooper and Winnall do score - when they play together.

None of them score when they play with FF. Even your Joao doesn't score, despite your much-state belief that they will tear the league a new one.

8 minutes ago, Dazblur said:

I am really worried that the touchstone for Carlos in this issue is the defending, CC worrying about an attack minded player (FF) HAVING to defend really really shows us what problems we have,

Forestieri would never be doing any defending whatsover if we pushed up and pressed from the back and middle and had hold of the ball, If the right back is having a good game then switch - Simple, Move Boyd to the left and FF to the right if that is the case - I can guarantee one of the two full backs will not handle FF, It's not hard to figure out,

No full back in this league would be able to think straight with the attack we could put together never mind get forward - The debate CC is putting forward for FF not playing wide shows you exactly how negative we are when the first thing in mind is wastes of energy tracking back, If we played in the right manor opposition full backs would not get out of their own half. We can easily balance one side up with a solid wide man (Boyd, Wallace) and chance that one of the two Opponents will find it hard to handle FF, We all know he is that good,

Worrying and baffles the hell out of me,

Completely agree.

He is ultra negative. Only Carlos would think defence-first with a player like FF.