George Hirst

22 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

In young George, we have a striker who held his form throughout last season, at a variety of domestic and indeed international level.

My in view is that he needs 1st team experience and soon, otherwise another season of u23 play and the odd sub appearance is going to make his decision to leave that much easier.

I appreciate in the pecking order of strikers he is down the list, but at done point we have to see what we gave actually got, or risk loosing him to flourish elsewhere.

I kind of agree with what you've said there.

Caveat..... Would he really get a look in on first team football at Everton or Leicester?

1 minute ago, Reallondonowl said:

No as Jones is a Welsh name so he wouldn't be getting the accolades for his goals for England as he wouldn't qualify. Scouts don't stare at surnames, they watch matches. Focus on his merits rather than his surname.

I was talking about the coverage George is getting from fans - and has been for 2 years - not the scouts.

54 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I doubt Hirst is the only player in our youth set up attracting Premier League interest though. Us fans only really pay most attention to George because of his dad.

He has always been deemed as one to look out for regardless of the name.  He was playing for the U18s when an U15 and also played for the U21's as it was then, when he was still at school.

It's pretty clear he's nearly there. 

The fact that there are 6/7 strikers ahead of him in the pecking order isn't right really... there should be 4/5. We won't regret not playing him, we will definitely regret having so many others as a perceived hurdle to get ahead of. By the end of this season he should be at the ability to at least be knocking around the bench IMO and making 10/15 minute appearances in games. It's up to management and coaches to ensure he develops in that way... both by him improving, and by ensuring that there's a clear pathway for him to make that advancement into the side.

It ain't a clear pathway when there are that many strikers ahead of him. Only one thing for it... 

18 hours ago, vulva said:

People also might begin to realise what Nuhui offers the team as well. 

Which is what?

And do you include the management team in this that very rarely picks him.....or all the other managers in all 4 leagues given that no one wants to take him off us

12 minutes ago, PopePiusX said:

The hat-trick goal was a virtual replica of his father's against Man City in 1991/2, although he failed to hit the inside of the post like a massive loser.

One of my favorite goals and one of my favorite matches in all my years watching Wednesday.  That season was peak Hirst

Just now, davedave said:

One of my favorite goals and one of my favorite matches in all my years watching Wednesday.  That season was peak Hirst

It was amazing, that day - 3rd versus 5th, from memory, that goal by Hirst and a short-corner routine which actually bloody worked!

2 minutes ago, ANDY said:

be nice to have him on the bench v chesterfield

or maybe even start

100% he should start

Gives Chesterfield a chance to scout him too and gives us an opportunity to see him against (good) League 2 opposition. If he excels, maybe we decide Chezza would be too much of a step down. If he looks about right... maybe try and wrangle a 6 month loan deal with them? 

No matter what happens, we need to be showing him that he's going to be getting first team football somewhere IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

He has always been deemed as one to look out for regardless of the name.  He was playing for the U18s when an U15 and also played for the U21's as it was then, when he was still at school.

Of course, no denying that. Preston and Penny have been pretty fine over that time too, would we honestly be talking about them as much if they were strikers and had Hirst's scoring record? Really?