George Hirst

only seen him the once and looked miles off the 1st team level but he's obviously got summat about him ......we all want us to challenge for the top 6 this season and to do that we need to pick our best players of which hirst at present probably  isn't one .....think if we can find someone local who'll take him and guarantee him some game time then a loan is the way to go .

kylian mbappe is only 18 and is about to have a world record transfer fee paid for him, with £200k+ a week wages. 

Marcus Rashford to name another. 

We will never know how good he is unless he's given a chance. I guarantee one thing, he will score more than Joao or Nuhiu. Yes I have also seen him

play quite a few times. 

15 minutes ago, hatcheeks said:

I find it bizarre that Nuhiu gets to play pre season friendlies and GH is with the u23s

Can't verify this, but I'd imagine Hirst got 90 minutes today in the U23 friendly, or at least an hour

Nuhiu got about half an hour

If he's going to play in one meaningless friendly or the other, surely it's better he play at a level where he can score goals and get lots of game time than play half an hour? 

Nuhiu being part of the senior side has no relevance to Hirst not getting selected yet. 

Nuhiu won't get much game time next season anyway given we have Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall and Hooper (+FF if he's played in that role).

I'm not a coach and I'm not an expert. But personally I don't see that Hirst is ready for our first team, to play against championship defenders. I think he'd get hammered. Happy to be proven wrong though, I'd like nothing more than Hirst to be our wonder-kid.  We don't need to rush him through though because we have plenty of options already. 

Perhaps going out on loan somewhere to get some experience is the next step? 

Or maybe Carlos intends to promote Hirst to the senior squad later in the season. 

15 minutes ago, hatcheeks said:

Nuhiu shouldn't be anywhere near our squad. It's an embarrassment. He should be out on loan if we can't sell him 

This thread is about Hirst. There are plenty of other threads where you can have a pop at the other player.

15 hours ago, Blatter said:

His dad played first team football from 18 yrs of age and was also troubled by injuries quite regularly later in his career.

But look at all the footballers who have been playing since 16/17 and years before.

Ronaldo is never injured. Rooney has played in the BPL since he was 16 and the only injuries he has is when people stamp on his toe.

Some footballers are just injury prone.

21 minutes ago, Bradshaw said:

But look at all the footballers who have been playing since 16/17 and years before.

Ronaldo is never injured. Rooney has played in the BPL since he was 16 and the only injuries he has is when people stamp on his toe.

Some footballers are just injury prone.

And almost all footballers when played too often too young peak in their mid-20s

Rooney has arguably regressed since he was 26

Owen was past it by the time he was 29

Just because you quote the second best player in the world, who also happens to be one of the most athletic players in the world, has played regular football in the less physical Spanish League since moving there (note, early indications are he may be past his peak if you look at his goals and assists over the years), doesn't mean it's OK. Once again we're back to this argument, but Owen has said he was given too much footie too soon and that ruined his long-term career. 

I don't understand why people think he's ready for first team football, and then point out players like Owen, Ronaldo and Rashford as 'evidence'. All three of these players had a physicality beyond their years as well as the technical ability at a young age. George Hirst is not blessed with the pace these players had at this age, and he's not blessed with the strength of say Rashford or Rooney. Because of these attributes, the players you're listing as evidence that he should be thrown in did well. Hirst lacks these attributes currently... if anything citing Rooney, Ronaldo etc is actually evidence against him being thrown into the first team.

People are hoping rather than applying common sense and logic. Be objective, not hopeful. 

Edited by StudentOwl

31 minutes ago, prowl said:

This thread is about Hirst. There are plenty of other threads where you can have a pop at the other player.

I'm not having a pop at Nuhiu I'm having a pop at Carlos for keeping Nuhiu in the 1st team squad over Hirst. Hirst could be the best homegrown player we've ever had where as Nuhiu no where near good enough for the current team

16 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Have we ever actively placed anyone (apart from McGugan) on the transfer list?

I'd stick Joao and Nuhiu on there and make Hirst fifth choice. There's no need for any other senior players with Winnall, Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper and sometimes FF vying for 2 positions on the pitch. Let Hirst be 5th/6th choice and ready to get on the bench if/when an injury or suspension hits. I

'll argue til I'm blue in the face that he isn't ready yet, but it's clear he's getting to the stage where he's going to have to be slowly integrated into the first team. With 4 excellent strikers at this level and another top player who can play there if needs be, having him just behind those choices would be exactly right for his development and the club in terms of depth of options. 

Nuhui defo plus lose one of Winnall or Rhodes or morph them into one player of identical abilities - oh, they already are! (identical mid-paced 5ft 11 fox in the box finishers), I can see now why we spunked £9.5m on the pair of them.

If we're not going to flog Rhodes then we need to flog Winnall (and Nuhui) and spend the cash on a CB sharpish.  The only saving grace is that Winnall should be able to turn a tidy profit (we could sell for £2.5m?) but the downside is that Winnall 2017 is actually a better player than Rhodes 2017.

Hirst should 5th striker behind Joao (pace and unpredictability), Hooper (linkman + finisher), Winnall (mobility and fox int box), Fletcher (can do a job away from home, decent target).

That means he should have travelled with us to Portugal, Donny etc. to be integrated into first team.  As it is we took an overpriced muffin and a donkey instead.

Edited by DuttyTeabags
humbug

4 minutes ago, hatcheeks said:

I'm not having a pop at Nuhiu I'm having a pop at Carlos for keeping Nuhiu in the 1st team squad over Hirst. Hirst could be the best homegrown player we've ever had where as Nuhiu no where near good enough for the current team

And obviously you know  better than the manager?

10 hours ago, David1867 said:

kylian mbappe is only 18 and is about to have a world record transfer fee paid for him, with £200k+ a week wages. 

Marcus Rashford to name another. 

We will never know how good he is unless he's given a chance. I guarantee one thing, he will score more than Joao or Nuhiu. Yes I have also seen him

play quite a few times. 

If you have seen him play then you will see how he needs to go on loam to see how he performs at a different level.

1 minute ago, kazads said:

And obviously you know  better than the manager?

Fair point but I'm pretty sure that most fans don't exactly jump with joy when Nuhiu is coming on as a sub whilst Winnal n Hirst aren't even on the bench ! How did you feel against a Hudds?

Just now, hatcheeks said:

Fair point but I'm pretty sure that most fans don't exactly jump with joy when Nuhiu is coming on as a sub whilst Winnal n Hirst aren't even on the bench ! How did you feel against a Hudds?

Winnal maybe ...Hirst if Carlos thought he was ready to score goals in the first team he would be there I'm sure..

It's an interesting thing I consider sometimes – if Chansiri had never arrived, I imagine Hirst would be a large part of the first team squad these days. Whether that would be better or worse for him in the long run, we'd of course be unable to tell.