George Hirst

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

I'd bin all academies off and reintroduce central league football. Just watched the goals young Hirst scored this week. The game was player like a kick about in the local park, and they show more passion and desire on the XBox. I'm sure they are all great at passing along the back 4 but these academies are doing more for the creative juices of the badged up failed ex pros who are desperate to hang onto the football money gravy train. 

Got to agree with that,the kid who scored that free kick looked about as pleased as somebody who'd found a pigs season ticket,if i'd scored that representing Wednesday you wouldn't have caught me 

2 minutes ago, tuttuttut said:

A young Hirst 30 years ago.....

And a young Hirst today.....

Both of similar build, I don't get the he will get kicked and knocked all over the place, 30 years ago that was given.

Today's game is more fairy poo, give the lad a go.

IMG_20170727_203512.jpg

IMG_20170727_203735.jpg

I think the age difference may count.

Interesting photo comparison though.

28 minutes ago, owler66 said:

As that kit didn't come in till 87 I would say Hirst senior is at least a year older in that photo 

The VT plastics was the second season of that kit so 1988/89.  Hirst Senior will have been 21 years old back then so 3 years older than George.  At exactly the same age as George is now David was still at Barnsley.

Edited by Etchesketch

I know the comparisons are inevitable, but we're talking about a player who would have gone for a British transfer record had we let him- scored for England, scored in the FA Cup Final, won the league cup and is widely recognised as one of the best strikers we've ever had.

If he has half the career his Dad did he'll be the most successful striker we've produced in the last 40 years and some people are talking like it's inevitable he'll have career at the top of the game- it's just a matter of whether it's with us or not. Let's just see where we are this time next year, because this season will not belong to Hirst Jr.

3 hours ago, tuttuttut said:

A young Hirst 30 years ago.....

And a young Hirst today.....

Both of similar build, I don't get the he will get kicked and knocked all over the place, 30 years ago that was given.

Today's game is more fairy poo, give the lad a go.

IMG_20170727_203512.jpg

IMG_20170727_203735.jpg

We signed his Dad at the age of 18 from Barnsley and he was a peripheral player at first. Didn't start to make a serious impact until a couple of years later. Still plenty of time for the young lad, although I do hope we involve him in the first team for cup matches.

George may be a better finisher than David. Just has to build the rest of his game to come somwhere near, match, or better David. David was just raw power and speed. He could also head and shoot with great power. George needs to learn how to hold the ball up better and link play as well as his dad. David could use his shoulder like a third foot. George might just be able to find that net better. Get him on that longer contract please!

On 26/7/2017 at 16:39, Blatter said:

His dad played first team football from 18 yrs of age and was also troubled by injuries quite regularly later in his career.

That was down to dirty clogging defenders not from being played when young.  :columbo:

In fact Hirst Snr was overlooked for a while for Colin Phucking West. If he's good enough he's old enough, he knows where the net is unlike some Austrian/ Kosovan that tries his best but ultimately his best is falling over 

6 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

We signed his Dad at the age of 18 from Barnsley and he was a peripheral player at first. Didn't start to make a serious impact until a couple of years later. Still plenty of time for the young lad, although I do hope we involve him in the first team for cup matches.

I agree, I was just giving pics of the build they both are at roughly the same age because I remember Hirst after the 1990-1991 season of being quite big built so its something he will have worked on, I hope Carlos does the same with George and integrated him like you say through cup games etc... Or a loan to league one. 

Hirst made his Barnsley debut aged 18 and went on too score 9 goals in 28 games before we snapped him up.

In his first season with us he got 6 in 21 games aged 19/20.

You can kind of see similar stats, I think fans are a bit panicky now with clubs watching him and he is a goal scorer and David Hirsts son, we do need to develop him and integrate him somehow because if he just keeps scoring goals for the u23's then he needs to take the next step up to add to his challenge because the u23's is too easy for him.

5 years ago under Milan he would be in the first team now like Lavery was or would have been sold 10 year ago under the old guard. 

6 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

That was down to dirty clogging defenders not from being played when young.  :columbo:

In fact Hirst Snr was overlooked for a while for Colin Phucking West. If he's good enough he's old enough, he knows where the net is unlike some Austrian/ Kosovan that tries his best but ultimately his best is falling over 

I wonder which Austrian/ Kosovan you are referring to ?

Well done , for getting in one of your tedious, anti  Atdhe Nuhiu comments into a post about George Hirst.

You must be very pleased with yourself !

49 minutes ago, tuttuttut said:

I agree, I was just giving pics of the build they both are at roughly the same age because I remember Hirst after the 1990-1991 season of being quite big built so its something he will have worked on, I hope Carlos does the same with George and integrated him like you say through cup games etc... Or a loan to league one. 

Hirst made his Barnsley debut aged 18 and went on too score 9 goals in 28 games before we snapped him up.

In his first season with us he got 6 in 21 games aged 19/20.

You can kind of see similar stats, I think fans are a bit panicky now with clubs watching him and he is a goal scorer and David Hirsts son, we do need to develop him and integrate him somehow because if he just keeps scoring goals for the u23's then he needs to take the next step up to add to his challenge because the u23's is too easy for him.

5 years ago under Milan he would be in the first team now like Lavery was or would have been sold 10 year ago under the old guard. 

Just shows what age does to the memory.

I thought David was a roaring success for us from day one. I seem to recall his amazing lunging blocks too when his speed closed frightened defenders down.

Wonderful player.

1 hour ago, np pontefract said:

Well done , for getting in one of your tedious, anti  Atdhe Nuhiu comments into a post about George Hirst.

Is there any part of my post that was wrong? 

George is a striker that is knocking on the door for a place in the squad, it's inevitable he would be suggested as a replacement for another. Stop being so sensitive over an under performing player

2 hours ago, np pontefract said:

If you think Nuhiu isn't relevant to any conversation about George Hirst then you are a fool.....a bigger fool that you are for thinking Nuhiu offers any positive attributes to the team

3 hours ago, Ian said:

If you think Nuhiu isn't relevant to any conversation about George Hirst then you are a fool.....a bigger fool that you are for thinking Nuhiu offers any positive attributes to the team

It doesn't matter one jot to me that you consider me a "fool " or a "bigger fool"

I am sick and tired of childish,  unfair,underhand, and sometimes snide and nasty comments about  Atde Nuhiu. 

It's generally the same old few that come out with the same old rubbish.

It really isn't funny..........

It's pathetic !

Just now, np pontefract said:

It doesn't matter one jot to me that you consider me a "fool " or a "bigger fool"

I am sick and tired of childish,  unfair,underhand, and sometimes snide and nasty comments about  Atde Nuhiu. 

It's generally the same old few that come out with the same old rubbish.

It really isn't funny..........

It's pathetic !

You've seen him play then?  lol