George Hirst

Seems like he's trained on, to use a horse racing analogy. Someone with so much confidence is surely worth a place on the bench at some stage this season? I hear the 'he's still built like a boy' arguments but Michael Owen is nearly 40 and he's still built like a boy! lol And Ian Rush was a right skinny bugger throughout his career. That bit of the argument is nonsense imo...

8 minutes ago, Almat said:

Seems like he's trained on, to use a horse racing analogy. Someone with so much confidence is surely worth a place on the bench at some stage this season? I hear the 'he's still built like a boy' arguments but Michael Owen is nearly 40 and he's still built like a boy! lol And Ian Rush was a right skinny bugger throughout his career. That bit of the argument is nonsense imo...

Michael Owen bemoans the fact that he played every game when he was young and points to that as the reason for his constant injuries. If Hirst plays, he needs to be managed well and not played every game. 

Just now, shandypants said:

Michael Owen bemoans the fact that he played every game when he was young and points to that as the reason for his constant injuries. If Hirst plays, he needs to be managed well and not played every game. 

Hence my line:

Someone with so much confidence is surely worth a place on the bench at some stage this season?

Have we ever actively placed anyone (apart from McGugan) on the transfer list?

I'd stick Joao and Nuhiu on there and make Hirst fifth choice. There's no need for any other senior players with Winnall, Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper and sometimes FF vying for 2 positions on the pitch. Let Hirst be 5th/6th choice and ready to get on the bench if/when an injury or suspension hits. I

'll argue til I'm blue in the face that he isn't ready yet, but it's clear he's getting to the stage where he's going to have to be slowly integrated into the first team. With 4 excellent strikers at this level and another top player who can play there if needs be, having him just behind those choices would be exactly right for his development and the club in terms of depth of options. 

16 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Never really agreed with that. He's still playing for the under 23's and training everyday whether or not he's being picked to play for the first team. As is every young footballer, some players are just injury prone.

4 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

His England boss and the coaches say he's been developed properly and are pleased with his progress

Yep id be disappointed if Hirst wanted to leave the club himself when he's playing for the club he supports, his dad is a legend here and it isn't harming his England career.  I'm sure we would offer him a very decent salary for someone his age too. And we're a club on the rise 

So stay put Hirsty boy 

lol

12 minutes ago, Bradshaw said:

Never really agreed with that. He's still playing for the under 23's and training everyday whether or not he's being picked to play for the first team. As is every young footballer, some players are just injury prone.

His dad played first team football from 18 yrs of age and was also troubled by injuries quite regularly later in his career.

Can't wait to see the goals. Third one signs a cracker. 50 yards from goal, slips his man, goes past three other defenders, and beats the keeper to score.

Sounds like his Dad. 

If we let him go, it will be amongst the daftest mistakes we've ever made.

It's another big season for the lad in my opinion he's better to be getting around a first team squad regularly getting used to tactics and preparation before and after competitive games and playing in front of crowds.

realisticaly we can't offer him that yet and with our strike force we don't need to.

his next step is a loan move and let's see what he can do.

it could catapult his career if he continues to perform at league level as he has for the youths 

21 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

The description of his third goal is very David Hirst..." 50 yards from goal he rolled his marker, ghosted past three more defenders before slotting the ball home"

David, George, George, David...same thing

Sounds like Hirsty senior vs hull at home 91,think we won 5-1,Hirsty bagging 4 

25 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

The description of his third goal is very David Hirst..." 50 yards from goal he rolled his marker, ghosted past three more defenders before slotting the ball home"

David, George, George, David...same thing

Never seen Hirst jr in the flesh but from watching his goals you're dead right.

Rolling a defender is becoming a forgotten art.