George Hirst

3 minutes ago, prowl said:

Are you sure we desperately needed a goal? Maybe Carlos decided we would be better making sure we didn't concede again and that he thought we would win on penalties. We weren't the best team in that game.

Without being inside Carlos's head we will never know.

What would you have done? Honestly now...

24 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

But McGugan is a proven senior player at this level (just doesn't fit in with the manager's plans).

...and he's worth far less than Hirst on the open market. It's not like clubs are queueing up to take him off our hands, is it?  He's basically un-sellable until his contract runs down then he's worth nowt. Not exactly rocket science...

Edited by Almat

Just now, Almat said:

...and he's worth far less than Hirst on the open market. It's not like clubs are queueing up to take him off our hands, is it? 

You make a fair point. I guess if the club values Hirsty at, say £5m due to his potential, then maybe we should pay him what a £5m player would expect to be paid (assuming we don't already)?

The worry is every prospect who comes through our academy would point to us giving Hirst a £10k a week contract and say they want that too. Before you know it, we've got a handful of kids, who haven't kicked a first team ball in anger, on stupid money.

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

You make a fair point. I guess if the club values Hirsty at, say £5m due to his potential, then maybe we should pay him what a £5m player would expect to be paid (assuming we don't already)?

The worry is every prospect who comes through our academy would point to us giving Hirst a £10k a week contract and say they want that too. Before you know it, we've got a handful of kids, who haven't kicked a first team ball in anger, on stupid money.

They could only play that kind of hard ball if there was genuine interest from PL clubs. Hirst's advisers can point to that to justify his salary. 

1 hour ago, prowl said:

Maybe but that is part of toughening him up. Do you seriously think he won't get roughed up in the Championship? It might be more subtle but he will still get clattered. No defender at Championship level is going to let a young lad go past him without checking out if he's going to bottle it if he gets banged about a bit.

I seriously hope Hirst is a wonderkid but last season he didn't appear ready for first team duties. At his age a player can come on a lot in a year, no harm in sending him out on loan to see if he's ready. If he is he can come back and score the goals that get us promoted.

Of course he would get roughed up in the Championship, but I didn't suggest that he was ready for that level yet, but he most certainly would get roughed up in the lower echelons were the level of refereeing is even worse than it is in the Championship.

Consequently I do not agree that there is no harm in sending him out on loan to see if he's ready. That seems to me like sending the young warrior into the jungle to kill a lion in order to prove his manhood. The result could go either way. People with much more experience than any of us on here, are much better placed to make the decision than we are.

5 minutes ago, Almat said:

They could only play that kind of hard ball if there was genuine interest from PL clubs. Hirst's advisers can point to that to justify his salary. 

I doubt Hirst is the only player in our youth set up attracting Premier League interest though. Us fans only really pay most attention to George because of his dad.

If he signs our contract that's on the table, he'll go out on loan

If not we'll haggle with Everton until we inevitably have to flog him

But while ever he's making headlines, he'll be advised to hold out for more coin

Edited by BRUCE LEE

43 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I doubt Hirst is the only player in our youth set up attracting Premier League interest though. Us fans only really pay most attention to George because of his dad.

Rubbish. Its because the kid is playing out of his skin for club and country - nothing at all to do with his Dad.

1 minute ago, Reallondonowl said:

Rubbish. Its because the kid is playing out of his skin for club and country - nothing at all to do with his Dad.

Might find there are one or two doing likewise in the youth levels. You don't have the success our kids had last season - at pretty much every level - because of one player.

Don't forget young George has been talked about for 2 years - long before he started producing for England. Reckon the same would have happened if he was called George Jones?