George Hirst

2 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

He didn't.  He got 4.  Paul Williams got other.

Hirst got all 5, despite what the records may say.....I was there on the day with a perfect view, TV confirms it and both Hirst and Paul Williams have confirmed it since 

22 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

It does matter what you would have done because he's asking you.

He's not asking Carlos.

Not really , he was criticising Carlos for bringing big Dave on when we needed a goal to win. My point was maybe Carlos thought we were more likely to lose at that point so we were better drawing and having a 50/50 chance in the penalty shoot out.

Easy for fans to criticise decisions after the event. Hindsight is great. If Carlos had brought on someone other than Atdhe and we had conceded a goal quickly he would have been blamed for that.

I would always go for it which is why I wouldn't last 2 minutes as a manager. I think that's the case with most fans but our jobs aren't on the line.

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

Not really , he was criticising Carlos for bringing big Dave on when we needed a goal to win. My point was maybe Carlos thought we were more likely to lose at that point so we were better drawing and having a 50/50 chance in the penalty shoot out.

Easy for fans to criticise decisions after the event. Hindsight is great. If Carlos had brought on someone other than Atdhe and we had conceded a goal quickly he would have been blamed for that.

I would always go for it which is why I wouldn't last 2 minutes as a manager. I think that's the case with most fans but our jobs aren't on the line.

If you can be arsed..Look up my thread called danger zone. Or something like that. It was before the playoffs.

As I said on another thread. Just like o'grady these kids are the future of this club. How long do you keep saying ooh but can he step up, loan em out to league 1,but a league 1 loan compared to playing championship is a massive step down in level these day's,and surly you can assess their progress, monitor it and help them to become better players  If you keep them at your club under your watchful eye and integrate them into the championship fist team smartly they will flourish, if we leave them in the u23's or playing league 1 or kicking their heels in the reserves they'll either leave for first team action elsewhere or not develop to their potential. 

4 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

The lads definitely a talent but it wouldn't surprise me if he kicks on elsewhere as Carlos doesn't seem to be willing to push him on here?

Carlos is here to win promotion, not give the kids game time. A bit like Conte and Mourinho, it's all now, not development of young players that will benefit the club in 5 years, when he won't be here. 

Thats not a criticism, more an observation. 

we need to give me more of a chance this season cup games  League games we are winning 2-0. Or so get him on has sub .we never know he can  prove himself for a regular  place and if it turns out he,s not what manager expected which I very much doubt nothing lost

For the record, I'm not specifically talking about George Hirst here; from what I've seen of him he's at least a loan spell away from the first team...

However, Carlos has shown almost no interest in blooding youngsters at Wednesday. It could be that none of them are good enough, but I just think that for a couple of reasons he's more inclined to lean towards senior players.

Firstly the primary objective is promotion, perhaps this season his job will probably be lost if he doesn't achieve it. It's not unsurprising that he puts his trust in players who are tried and tested in this league.

Secondly as a coach he clearly leans towards his favourites; Abdi will struggle to get in ahead of Bannan (regardless of form), despite having won promotion from this league before, what chance would a young player have of displacing an established player? Again, this trust may have something to do with maximising our chances of promotion; I'd argue it's as much to do with Carlos being risk averse and at times even stubborn.

I don't blame Carlos for making these decisions, he's the coach, he'll live and die by them. But if you were a young player wanting to progress in professional football and decided that S6 wasn't the place for you, I'd fully understand why you came to that conclusion... Even if your Dad is called David

7 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

For the record, I'm not specifically talking about George Hirst here; from what I've seen of him he's at least a loan spell away from the first team...

However, Carlos has shown almost no interest in blooding youngsters at Wednesday. It could be that none of them are good enough, but I just think that for a couple of reasons he's more inclined to lean towards senior players.

Firstly the primary objective is promotion, perhaps this season his job will probably be lost if he doesn't achieve it. It's not unsurprising that he puts his trust in players who are tried and tested in this league.

Secondly as a coach he clearly leans towards his favourites; Abdi will struggle to get in ahead of Bannan (regardless of form), despite having won promotion from this league before, what chance would a young player have of displacing an established player? Again, this trust may have something to do with maximising our chances of promotion; I'd argue it's as much to do with Carlos being risk averse and at times even stubborn.

I don't blame Carlos for making these decisions, he's the coach, he'll live and die by them. But if you were a young player wanting to progress in professional football and decided that S6 wasn't the place for you, I'd fully understand why you came to that conclusion... Even if your Dad is called David

Because you're a good poster.

The way you use firstly and secondly is wrong.

It's first and second.

40 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

As I said on another thread. Just like o'grady these kids are the future of this club. How long do you keep saying ooh but can he step up, loan em out to league 1,but a league 1 loan compared to playing championship is a massive step down in level these day's,and surly you can assess their progress, monitor it and help them to become better players  If you keep them at your club under your watchful eye and integrate them into the championship fist team smartly they will flourish, if we leave them in the u23's or playing league 1 or kicking their heels in the reserves they'll either leave for first team action elsewhere or not develop to their potential. 

Bloody hell he's 18, you act like he's been languishing in the youth squad for years not being given a chance...

We had a very highly rated lad go on loan to a league 1 team last season who is a year Hirst's senior... Couldn't get a game. Now they're obviously not the same player and I think it's fair to say that Hirst is above where Penney was a year ago, but even so... Performing for the U23's and performing for a senior squad are two very, very different kettles of fish. You're acting like Hirst going on loan to a League 1 side would be a travesty... He's only been around the U23 side for about 6 months hasn't he? 6 months of U23 football, even performing to a very high standard (which he didn't initially), doesn't warrant an automatic promotion to the senior squad

Would it really be such an injustice if he went on a 4/5 month loan to League 1?

Edited by StudentOwl

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Because you're a good poster.

The way you use firstly and secondly is wrong.

It's first and second.

Appreciate the grammar heads up Mr C

I know that first, second etc are both adjectives and adverbs, rendering the "ly" theoretically pointless.

However, like other theoretical pointless stuff, such as drinking heavily and telling my wife to shut up, I just can't seem to stop myself from doing it.

If Carlos doesn't give him game time against Rangers or Chesterfield he wants his bumps feeling,Big Jack and Wilko would've had him in the 1st team picture from the start of pre season