George Hirst

16 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Can't wait to see the goals. Third one signs a cracker. 50 yards from goal, slips his man, goes past three other defenders, and beats the keeper to score.

Sounds like his Dad. 

If we let him go, it will be amongst the daftest mistakes we've ever made.

I agree as usual.

I cannot fathom why we do not get him some first team exposure. I too would prefer his mobility to a static Nuhiu and would hate to lose him. Rooney hadnt bulked up aged 16 when he scored for Everton in the premier league. Loaning to League 1 or 2 is a nonsense as he is more likely to get little ref protection and will see lumps kicked out of him.

Sign him on a  proper contract - otherwise the Leicesters and the Evertons will continue sniffing.

22 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Can't wait to see the goals. Third one signs a cracker. 50 yards from goal, slips his man, goes past three other defenders, and beats the keeper to score.

Sounds like his Dad. 

If we let him go, it will be amongst the daftest mistakes we've ever made.

Only time will tell, we all seem to know a lot more about him than the management which I find strange!

In young George, we have a striker who held his form throughout last season, at a variety of domestic and indeed international level.

My in view is that he needs 1st team experience and soon, otherwise another season of u23 play and the odd sub appearance is going to make his decision to leave that much easier.

I appreciate in the pecking order of strikers he is down the list, but at done point we have to see what we gave actually got, or risk loosing him to flourish elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

I agree as usual.

I cannot fathom why we do not get him some first team exposure. I too would prefer his mobility to a static Nuhiu and would hate to lose him. Rooney hadnt bulked up aged 16 when he scored for Everton in the premier league. Loaning to League 1 or 2 is a nonsense as he is more likely to get little ref protection and will see lumps kicked out of him.

Sign him on a  proper contract - otherwise the Leicesters and the Evertons will continue sniffing.

I am glad you added as usual.

You are amongst the elite if Owls Talk, you recognise my wisdom.

I bow to your wisdom too. lol

8 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

I agree as usual.

What is a 'proper' contract? 

1 minute ago, flo said:

What is a 'proper' contract? 

His pals in the England squad are reportedly on around £10k a week as they're at Premier League clubs.

Hirsty's argument will be he can get that cash too if he moves clubs.

Big decision for the club - pay him what his peers earn and keep him, but probably p*ss senior players off who aren't even paid that. Or pay him a salary any other 18yo prospect in the Championship would get and risk losing him.

Hoping the answer is somewhere in between cos paying a kid £10k a week at our level is bonkers!!

22 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Never seen Hirst jr in the flesh but from watching his goals you're dead right.

Rolling a defender is becoming a forgotten art.

I remember seeing him do it at Millwall once, pure bliss.

Also on the TV against Hull. You're right, it's not so prevalent now. Shame.

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

His pals in the England squad are reportedly on around £10k a week as they're at Premier League clubs.

Hirsty's argument will be he can get that cash too if he moves clubs.

Big decision for the club - pay him what his peers earn and keep him, but probably p*ss senior players off who aren't even paid that. Or pay him a salary any other 18yo prospect in the Championship would get and risk losing him.

Hoping the answer is somewhere in between cos paying a kid £10k a week at our level is bonkers!!

They could promise him a leaving fee to make up the difference when/if he joins another club or retires.  

Is a  big decision both for him and the club, what ever happens the club is dammed what ever they do unless he becomes the star we all hope he becomes. The temptations must be massive for him both now and if successful in the future, hope he can find the right path through such a maze of opportunities and he stays level headed. 

Can the people who have seen him play often, please answer me a question please.

Who would you say GH is more like, out of our forwards now.

Rhodes

Hooper

Fletcher

Winnall

None of the above

Thank you

1 hour ago, MAL said:

Can the people who have seen him play often, please answer me a question please.

Who would you say GH is more like, out of our forwards now.

Rhodes

Hooper

Fletcher

Winnall

None of the above

Thank you

Hooper if anyone...he's not strong enough atm to play with his back to gaol all the time BUT...he runs the channels well and his running off the ball is great. There is no point in him going to a club that doesn't play as we do...getting lumps kicked out of him in the lower leagues may halt or god forbid end his career

Edited by daveyboy66

5 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Hooper if anyone...he's not strong enough atm to play with his back to gaol all the time BUT...he runs the channels well and is running off the ball is great. There is no point in him going to a club that doesn't play as we do...getting lumps kicked out of him in the lower leagues may halt or god forbid end his career

Cheers Davey

Hirst could be a great player, but it's coming to the point where Carlos needs to pick him just to show the fans he isn't ready. People also might begin to realise what Nuhui offers the team as well. 

When Hirst walked round the pitch at the end of last season he looked like a stretched mascot. I fear an experienced lower league centre half would snap him in two. 

Hirst is a very good example of why reserve team football should be brought back. He's obviously out grown sanitised youth football, but isn't ready for the men's game just yet. 

10 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Start him right from the opening game. The kid scores goals and could be a world beater . We will never know if we dont stick him in. 

That's OK if you don't mind us dropping points that might cost us promotion at the end of the season.

I'm all for Hirst playing in the first team if he's better than what we've got (even as good as would do) but on last seasons evidence he's not ready. Nurture the lad, have a bit of patience, loan him out if need be.

Just make sure he signs a new contract.