The Marquee Friendly

7 hours ago, brian joicey said:

I saw someone comment earlier that it was an international break weekend of Sept 2nd and "not to arrange anything for that weekend as this is when it will all happen" 

He was someone who is on the steering committee and said that he would rather miss the pig match than this particular weekend!! 

Surely if it were that weekend we might get a marquee side, but no marquee players? They'll all be away on international duty.

16 hours ago, vulva said:

The idea of a friendly against an international team is ludicrous. Teams don't release players for World Cup qualifiers, never mind a kick about against a Championship side. 

We played a friendly against the Nigerian national team at Hillsborough the early 80s. Won 3-1 

7 hours ago, wiggy said:

Surely if it were that weekend we might get a marquee side, but no marquee players? They'll all be away on international duty.

Plus what sort of team would we put out? Some of ours will be away too but surely we ought to be resting players on a free weekend not making them play against Barcelona's youth team 

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

We played a friendly against the Nigerian national team at Hillsborough the early 80s. Won 3-1 

Was that before Sky TV invented football?

In the early 80's keepers could pick back passes up and everyone looked forward to the Big Match every 6 weeks, with Dalglish moaning at the ref. 

The game and its priorities have changed in the last 30/40 years. 

13 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Athletico 

Never heard of a club called Athletico, never mind a major one.  

If we had managed to entice anyone worthwhile to play us, it would have been announced by now.  This will die a long slow and embarrassing death.

13 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Thank god for that!!!!!!!!

I thought I was going senile!!

Ive been asking people if they remember that match for years and nobody does!!

I was on the Kop with my uncle and his mates, they played in green, obvs!!

haha yes it definitely happened,  I was there!  Think it was my first game in the North Stand, we had season tickets in the West Stand for my first couple of years. 

All I can really remember is being amazed that Keith Hackett was reffing us, and there were a group of Nigerians a few rows in front who were filming the game with a massive video camera and they went mad when they scored.  Think they got an equaliser for 1-1 but we got a 3-1 win in the end.

3 hours ago, PuntItLikeDielna said:

Have they been down to meet the lads yet? Uto

Not yet mate, but they will do a section of the training ground will be allocated to them  to loosen up after their long journey   UTO