Squad to be broken up

Last season was mainly about entertainment...and an antidote to Gray's (necessary) tactics...and the play-offs were a bonus. This season was about promotion, so I would think that Carlito and Chansiri now have a much better idea about what's required. We're not going to play champagne football. Forget that if you want promotion. It was interesting to listen to what Rowett said after Derby's game here. He thinks that Derby have too many technical players but not enough beef, harrying etc, and compared Derby unfavourably to us.

The first thing we need to do is release fringe players, where possible. Finney's right about an alternative to Hooper, and a winger and CB are a must too.

59 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Some reight fan.nies about, the OP sums up the toys out of pram side of our support, had we played EXACTLY the same on Weds night but it was us who won 4-3 on pens, this thread wouldn't have existed.

Had Diame's shot been saved or flown over bar.......

Fine margins.

We're in the best position the club has been for decades, we've shown marked improvement on and off the pitch ever since DC arrived and installed CC...

but yeah, lets throw the baby out with the bath water!!

The 1-0 loss to Hull flattered us and we were outplayed over 2 legs this year by a team with one of the lowest budgets in the league.

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

Good point

Losing one of Lee, Hutchinson or Bannan is THE only way in which we ever get to see a balanced midfield, and unsurprisingly it always results in an upturn in form

We saw it last season when Bannan was sent off at forest, we won 4 on the bounce in his absence 

If all three are fit, they play and that is CC's major failing

That's the main criticism of Carlos. Trying to fit everybody in.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

The 1-0 loss to Hull flattered us and we were outplayed over 2 legs this year by a team with one of the lowest budgets in the league.

There's no doubt that Monk, Jokanovic, Wagner and Stam have played blinders. But those teams which stay down will have a much more difficult job next season. They had the element of surprise which we had last season.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

But it wasn't our strongest side. Nowhere near.

Agreed - it was the side he wanted to pick when all the players were available, irrespective of form or position...

If he stays, he will do the same thing next season too.

Dust had pretty much settled for me now - we need a fresh approach and therefore a new manager to get this squad to realise its potential.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

1 hour ago, sage owl said:

Who would have replaced Wallace after 2 minutes ?.

Was Wallace fit enough to start the game?.

Just wondering as he did not seem to injured when he came off, if he was not fit enough, then it was a gamble to play him, a gamble that did not pay off, for that I blame Kickaball, but that is why he is the manager and not any of us.

Guest Kameron

I don't think we need a total rebuild, we still need what we needed 12 months ago and that if very frustrating. We are very close. We  know what it's all about to compete at the top end of this division but a big concern for me is that it's all becoming a bit cosy, we don't don't seem to like change, we try it, it seems to work but for some reason Carlos gets his comfort blanket out and reaches for last seasons players.  We have to be more ruthless, a replacement for Loovens is an absolute necessity although Sasso has done a very solid job, midfield still needs someone (or two) who can get hold of the game and drive us on, this is the part that is going to cost and lastly a pacey winger.  If we are shrewd like Brighton were last summer promotion is possible. In all fairness the playoffs are a great may to be promoted but if we're honest Reading deserve it having finished third overall bit i'm gutted it's not us facing them a week on Monday.  We need to start learning because 12 months on from the Hull defeat we appear to have learn't nothing. 

Anyway get yer sens dusted down , enjoy the summer and be ready to go again in August, we down not out and we'll be ready for them dirty red and white b a stards.  I'm off to put me toys back in the pram it's been a long week.

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Was Wallace fit enough to start the game?.

Just wondering as he did not seem to injured when he came off, if he was not fit enough, then it was a gamble to play him, a gamble that did not pay off, for that I blame Kickaball, but that is why he is the manager and not any of us.

To me it seems strange that if we're going to play with so called wingers who tuck inside making the full backs supply the width, that we don't have like for like replacements indeed the loan wingers we've signed have been traditional out and out wingers who are never going to do a job like Wallace. There are things that need changing and tweaking for sure but there's a lot more that's good than bad at SWFC just now. So I'd like to keep the management team and the majority of the squad.

Oh and the tired old kickaball insult makes you look daft.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Ronnie has already answered just above, but quite simply I didn't want the six in six team breaking up.

So

Would have left Lee and Bannan central (so not brought Hutch back)

Would have left Reach at LW 

Would have left Fletcher and Rhodes together (so not brought Nando back)

Jones?

We need a better right-back than Palmer to push Hunt.

I think we'll stay as we are at left-back. Personally I think Pudil will be better next season after a proper rest which he didn't get last summer.

Add a beast of a centre-half to our existing group, possibly Hanley?

Bring in a more physically imposing midfielder and try to move Jones, McGugan and Melo on.

If Carlos stays, I think he'll give Matias another chance. If he stays fit he could yet provide the wide spark we're missing? We do need another winger preferably one with pace. I can't see Wallace playing as much next season even though he's the best winger we have. I'd love to see Reach moved on but there's more chance of me finding gold at the end of a rainbow rather than Zippy, George and Bungle.

Our best front two is Fletcher and Hooper but I think Fletch will move on along with Joao. Forrestieri could be sold otherwise he needs to be played more in midfield than up top. I expect Nuhiu to stay if Carlos does.

In a nutshell a little bit of movement but not much is needed.  What's needed more is a tweak of the tactics used and if we do I think with our experiences of the last two seasons and our 150th anniversary spurring us on, I think we can achieve something very special next season.

Some interesting replies from the ones who clearly have a brain. The "OP is a pig" comments are just immature and lack thought. As a lot have said 12 months on we haven't learnt a thing. Last season after Wembley we were crying out for a couple of full backs (Palmer not good enough) New Centre back (Loovens coming to an end) a couple of tricky wingers (had one in Mcmanaman but didn't play him, and an out and out forward (We bring Rhodes in in January who was no where near fit) For me that's why Carlos needs to go, don't think he's got the minerals for the English 2nd tier tbh

3 hours ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Some reight fan.nies about, the OP sums up the toys out of pram side of our support, had we played EXACTLY the same on Weds night but it was us who won 4-3 on pens, this thread wouldn't have existed.

Fine margins.

We're in the best position the club has been for decades, we've shown marked improvement on and off the pitch ever since DC arrived and installed CC...

Exactly this. Said the same a couple of days ago in another thread.

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

He made the mistake of playing all of his favourites instead of putting out a balanced team that had seen the team go on a winning run of 6 games. There is too much sentiment with Carlos. The facts are that he wasn't up to it tactically and recruitment has been a shambles. It goes through me to see the waste in wages and transfers of players brought in deemed not good enough to start.

Either Carlos swallows his pride and sorts out the midfield or we get someone else in who will.

Absolutely spot on Ronnie. This season's tactics have been poor and on many occasions we escaped with a result that the performance didn't deserve.  In my view the continued playing of wingers on the "wrong" side of the pitch and the otherwise defensive approach have been the major problems.  Rhodes, Winnall, Hooper and Fletcher would all have made much bigger contributions in terms of goals if they had been given proper service, instead of feeding on scraps for most of the season.

Those players who haven't featured need to be shipped out so that the available budget can be concentrated on bringing in the few players of quality that will make the difference.  That along with more aggressive attacking tactics would be more likely to give us a chance of automatic promotion next season.

3 hours ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Fine margins.

I think the main reason we are in the best position for decades is DC's money and not CC'c involvement. I fully believe even Stuart Gray would have done at least as well and probably much better with the money CC has been given. WHY do clappers overlook the investment angle, I wonder? I saw a post on here stating Jones/Gray got 2.5 million to spend for the 2 seasons prior to DC arriving and CC has had 30 million in the same time period. THAT'S why the club are in a better position right now.

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Ronnie has already answered just above, but quite simply I didn't want the six in six team breaking up.

So

Would have left Lee and Bannan central (so not brought Hutch back)

Would have left Reach at LW 

Would have left Fletcher and Rhodes together (so not brought Nando back)

We couldn't contain Huddersfield until he middle. Hutch had to come back for that reason.

Reach was awful in the first game. Regardless he still played 85 minutes of normal time. 30 minutes extra time.

Fletcher & Rhodes don't really work as they create little option for the midfield. Forestieri loves scoring against Huddersfield & is the only striker capable of stretching teams.

The starting lineup maybe should have been different but the only difference could have been 4231 which would you really change your tactics at that stage of the season?  

Substitutions were strange as Winnall would have offered more than Nuhiu & Id have also brought him on before Rhodes as he stretches games a bit more & works harder.

Jones - most loved this signing, he's been steady but failed to dominate against any team

Abdi - pretty much everyone wanted, but he's injured

McManaman - was injured for the playoffs but never really got himself into any game when he did play

Buckley - not really looked that good & struggled with injuries

Reach - for us Owls the price tag seems high but look at prices of similar players for that position, Norwich paid £7m for Wildschutt or whatever his name is. Reach has his best years ahead of him.

Fox - more one for the future

Emmanuleson - injury prone & a gamble that backfired 

Winnall - a very good purchase, still of a young age but strange why he wasn't used more

Rhodes - again most wanted him, sadly we are seeing why Middlesbrough let him go. Maybe a full pre season will pay dividends

Fletcher - done his job, links well with Hooper 

So was the recruitment really all that bad? We didn't spend anywhere near what some teams have in the past & they are still in the championship, we also didn't spend as much as some teams this season who failed to get play offs.