Squad to be broken up

4 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

There's no doubt that Monk, Jokanovic, Wagner and Stam have played blinders. But those teams which stay down will have a much more difficult job next season. They had the element of surprise which we had last season.

Monk had Wood, without him they'd be bottom half. Agree with the rest 

Could become a self fulfilling prophecy if we keep talking about selling players and who can make the step up etc.

If they're up for trying to hit the automatic spots (I don't agree with Jon Newsome) that the league will be tougher this year) then keep the group together. If any of them suggest they lack belief then replace them.

4 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

There's no doubt that Monk, Jokanovic, Wagner and Stam have played blinders. But those teams which stay down will have a much more difficult job next season. They had the element of surprise which we had last season.

I hope Reading go up as they will be in the mix again otherwise.

if Hudds don't go up then I think they will be bottom half once their loans go back 

Why are we worried about the teams coming down? With the exception of Sunderland, an unknown quantity who appear to be going through a period of change, the other two teams are two of the teams that went up last year. Middlesbrough would appear to be another Newcastle, who this year won automatic without really pulling trees up, and Hull were a team there for the taking at Wembley last year. They won by a rather flukey goal and because we didn't turn up, and still only just managed to beat us.

I personally would like to see a replacement for Loovens (an excellent servant, but showing his age) who would be in the realms of a fit Hutchinson, and a pacey winger.   

7 hours ago, Ali G said:

2 Play Off defeats will be hard for the same set of players to come back again from. Unbelievable how or why Carlos started 10 players from the final defeat. We need a new manager with new ideas and maybe bring in 4 or 5 players and ship out the same. Lets get moving again 

It was the same side barring Reach for Lee that beat Huddersfield 2 nil at Hillsborough in Jan so no it wasn't unbelievable at all except with that perfect hindsight that's often extant on here after a loss

7 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

It was the same side barring Reach for Lee that beat Huddersfield 2 nil at Hillsborough in Jan so no it wasn't unbelievable at all except with that perfect hindsight that's often extant on here after a loss

Although some were drafted back in that were not 100% fit and whether you like it or not that team was unbalanced. The first half in the league game was a poor performance with many disgruntled on the concourse at half time. Wallace got a worldie they had Payne sent off and we ran out winners. Not convincingly but a win is a win which unfortunately we didn't get on Wednesday night. Will you be happy to see the Wallace Lee Hutchinson and Bannan midfield rolled out next season?

6 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The OP makes some valid points. We didn't win on penalties and Diame's shot didn't miss. We did though screw up on recruitment and we did continue to play the favourites. If he stays are we in for another season of a midfield consisting Wallace, Lee, Bannan and Hutchinson? Because if the answer is yes then we will end up revisiting these threads in 12 months time.

I doubt that.

There will just be loads more threads.. 

52 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Clappers!

WTF:

If you can see the progress the club has made, you're a clapper!

Reyt!

If you state the progress the club has made without mentioning the HUGE EXPENDITURE then you are indeed a clapper. You spend 30 million spondoolics on a team that finished 13th then a 6th place and a 4th place (and 2 tame play off defeats, ultimately) really is nothing spectacular. I firmly believe Gray would have done better with that money behind him. Progress isn't defined by spunking 30 million spondoolics on a team, only for that manager to play the same side in the POs as he did exactly a year ago. I think you are all getting carried away with CC and his ability because he's from Portugal, he's cute, cultured and has a funny accent. He's had so little success in his 17 year managerial career to date. Give me a reyt two hat who gets us up any day of the week...lol

8 hours ago, Ali G said:

2 Play Off defeats will be hard for the same set of players to come back again from. Unbelievable how or why Carlos started 10 players from the final defeat. We need a new manager with new ideas and maybe bring in 4 or 5 players and ship out the same. Lets get moving again 

The squad dosnt need breaking up , it needs minor tinkering .

1x quality centre half

1x midfield beast 

2x pacy direct wingers 

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

if Hudds don't go up then I think they will be bottom half once their loans go back 

Agree. Huddersfield pass the ball well but it masks their roughhouse tactics. Hefele, Hogg and Mooy kicked us to bits in the play-offs. Don't think they'll get away with it again next season?

4 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Agree. Huddersfield pass the ball well but it masks their roughhouse tactics. Hefele, Hogg and Mooy kicked us to bits in the play-offs. Don't think they'll get away with it again next season?

Mooy will go back as will Brown and Palmer. 

Wagner, who knows too. Plus teams will be wary of them. I just think they are less likely to keep it up without funding

15 minutes ago, Almat said:

If you state the progress the club has made without mentioning the HUGE EXPENDITURE then you are indeed a clapper. You spend 30 million spondoolics on a team that finished 13th then a 6th place and a 4th place (and 2 tame play off defeats, ultimately) really is nothing spectacular. I firmly believe Gray would have done better with that money behind him. Progress isn't defined by spunking 30 million spondoolics on a team, only for that manager to play the same side in the POs as he did exactly a year ago. I think you are all getting carried away with CC and his ability because he's from Portugal, he's cute, cultured and has a funny accent. He's had so little success in his 17 year managerial career to date. Give me a reyt two hat who gets us up any day of the week...lol

Why the roger would you mention huge expenditure when most people with half a brain realise the only way to progress from 13th to 4th place was due to expenditure?

I just think massive over reaction at a club that's progressed on and off the pitch for is it the last 6 season consecutively so if we continue that next season then automatic promotion may well be ours.

On the squad id personally look at 3/4 signings all with Pace.

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Huddersfield most definitely could be in the mire if they don't go up. I'd be surprised if they can afford to buy Mooy who will surely leave Man City. Palmer & Brown will both have more suitors after them on loan or to buy from Chelsea & again I can't see Huddersfield having the money to buy them.

If they fail to go up Kachunga is another we should look at. If he thinks they can't challenge would he want to stay? He had the most goals & assists for them. Blessed with pace & strength, but also tracks back & defends which is rare in that type of player.

When thinking about whether we need minor tweaks or major surgery to our team ask a couple of questions and see what answers you get.

1-  How many of our players would Newcastle and Brighton signed for their 1st team.

2- How many of our current players would have got in big rons promotion team of 1990.

I think the answer to both questions would be a very small number. Whilst you don't need to have the best 11 players in the division to go for automatic you need a few who are in the top 2-3 in their position. Too many of our players aren't good enough (or we have played totally the wrong tactics) to get automatic hence why we have finished in the playoffs in both the last 2 seasons. 

2 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Monk had Wood, without him they'd be bottom half. Agree with the rest 

But we spent way more on strikers and failed to use them properly. In that respect Monk played a blinder by using a striker he had bought properly, playing to his strengths and reaped the rewards. That's the difference.

4 minutes ago, Almat said:

But we spent way more on strikers and failed to use them properly. In that respect Monk played a blinder by using a striker he had bought properly, playing to his strengths and reaped the rewards. That's the difference.

Uwe Rosler bought woods.

Rest of your post makes sense tho.

10 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Mooy will go back as will Brown and Palmer. 

Wagner, who knows too. Plus teams will be wary of them. I just think they are less likely to keep it up without funding

Mooy is one id like to try and sign in the summer . Im pretty sure City will want to loan him out again . He is a quality attacking midfielder. 

7 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

The 1-0 loss to Hull flattered us and we were outplayed over 2 legs this year by a team with one of the lowest budgets in the league.

Indeed, desperate straw clutching from the cult of Carlos.

As mentioned above. The changes resulting in good runs tend to be forced, as if fit Lee, Hutchinson and Bannon will always start. 

Three important players, but in a 442 one has to lose out for balance.

Carlos refuses to do this, which suggests when a formula does work, its despite him not because of him.

I like Carlos, he ushered us from consolidation to contention, (as Gray moved us from relegation fodder).

I just can't see him getting us over the line. That line up in the second leg proved it.