Squad to be broken up

2 Play Off defeats will be hard for the same set of players to come back again from. Unbelievable how or why Carlos started 10 players from the final defeat. We need a new manager with new ideas and maybe bring in 4 or 5 players and ship out the same. Lets get moving again 

24 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Didnt boro and Brighton make the playoffs two seasons running before auto? I'm genuinely asking by the way as unsure and memory not too good in morning. 

Brighton did 3 out of 5 seasons in the play offs before promotion.

29 minutes ago, Ali G said:

2 Play Off defeats will be hard for the same set of players to come back again from. Unbelievable how or why Carlos started 10 players from the final defeat. We need a new manager with new ideas and maybe bring in 4 or 5 players and ship out the same. Lets get moving again 

Not it won't, no it wasn't, no we don't and maybe 2 or 3. There, I think that about sums things up.

Edited by Freshfish

5 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Carlos started ten from the play off defeat as after much tinkering (and with a few injuries) it was deemed to be our strongest line up.

But it wasn't our strongest side. Nowhere near.

4 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Carlos started ten from the play off defeat as after much tinkering (and with a few injuries) it was deemed to be our strongest line up.

He made the mistake of playing all of his favourites instead of putting out a balanced team that had seen the team go on a winning run of 6 games. There is too much sentiment with Carlos. The facts are that he wasn't up to it tactically and recruitment has been a shambles. It goes through me to see the waste in wages and transfers of players brought in deemed not good enough to start.

Either Carlos swallows his pride and sorts out the midfield or we get someone else in who will.

39 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Didnt boro and Brighton make the playoffs two seasons running before auto? I'm genuinely asking by the way as unsure and memory not too good in morning. 

No, neither did. They both came very close to automatic promotion the season before though and then failed in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Some reight fan.nies about, the OP sums up the toys out of pram side of our support, had we played EXACTLY the same on Weds night but it was us who won 4-3 on pens, this thread wouldn't have existed.

Had Diame's shot been saved or flown over bar.......

Fine margins.

We're in the best position the club has been for decades, we've shown marked improvement on and off the pitch ever since DC arrived and installed CC...

but yeah, lets throw the baby out with the bath water!!

The OP makes some valid points. We didn't win on penalties and Diame's shot didn't miss. We did though screw up on recruitment and we did continue to play the favourites. If he stays are we in for another season of a midfield consisting Wallace, Lee, Bannan and Hutchinson? Because if the answer is yes then we will end up revisiting these threads in 12 months time.

9 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Who would you have swapped? Genuine question.

Ronnie has already answered just above, but quite simply I didn't want the six in six team breaking up.

So

Would have left Lee and Bannan central (so not brought Hutch back)

Would have left Reach at LW 

Would have left Fletcher and Rhodes together (so not brought Nando back)

Edited by Holmowl

4 minutes ago, BHA83 said:

No, neither did. They both came very close to automatic promotion the season before though and then failed in the playoffs. 

But Brighton had a manager that knew what was required and recruited well. I dont think Dunk and Knockaert will suit the Premier League and you would be wise to swap them for Loovens and Wallace :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Who would you have swapped? Genuine question.

FF should have been out wide, Winnal and Rhodes up top. Hutch on the bench, and mcmanaman should have been on the bench too . 

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Ronnie has already answered just above, but quite simply I didn't want the six in six team breaking up.

So

Would have left Lee and Bannan central (so not brought Hutch back)

Would have left Reach at LW 

Would have left Fletcher and Rhodes together (so not brought Nando back)

Who would have replaced Wallace after 2 minutes ?.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

He made the mistake of playing all of his favourites instead of putting out a balanced team that had seen the team go on a winning run of 6 games. There is too much sentiment with Carlos. The facts are that he wasn't up to it tactically and recruitment has been a shambles. It goes through me to see the waste in wages and transfers of players brought in deemed not good enough to start.

Either Carlos swallows his pride and sorts out the midfield or we get someone else in who will.

I agree recruitment has been poor, which is why I was quite happy to see that line up on Wednesday. I'd have been tempted to put FF out wide but then that would also have been shoe horning a player into a position they didn't really fit... Whether Bannan out wide or FF they'd both have been guilty of coming inside, unbalancing us and leaving us exposed.

The loss of Wallace left us completely without natural width (I'm not convinced by Reach though he had been better of late).

The team he put out, playing last seasons football wouldn't have struggled to beat Huddersfield as Pudil and Hunt would bomb on and give us width.

I don't think anyone else in the squad had done enough to displace those in the starting line up, that's maybe the crux of the issue, good players who we aren't getting the best out of.

Just my opinion from admittedly limited insight.

4 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Who would have replaced Wallace after 2 minutes ?.

Butterfly effect....wouldn't have happened!

Seriously....I would have brought Nando off the bench for Wallace. Thereby keeping the same excellent shape that had done us proud for six successful games.

Lets be honest, but for injuries forcing his hand to play 2 strikers and 2 CMs, it's highly possible we wouldn't have been in the play-offs anyway. We were 7th and couldn't buy a win at that point.

1 hour ago, Ali G said:

No to new manager Ali, but I agree we could move on around half a dozen from the bottom of the pecking

order and replace them with quality that would go into the match day team/squad.

We need a big, fast striker and a quick winger, without doubt. A really good centre-half is a must.

Someone with the attributes of Hooper too because he was sorely missed over the last two games.

32 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The OP makes some valid points. We didn't win on penalties and Diame's shot didn't miss. We did though screw up on recruitment and we did continue to play the favourites. If he stays are we in for another season of a midfield consisting Wallace, Lee, Bannan and Hutchinson? Because if the answer is yes then we will end up revisiting these threads in 12 months time.

This is my fear, and exactly why I wouldn't mind if CC is replaced

£25m spent this season and we still line up with the same side (Fletcher apart) from last season

CC's stubbornness and persistence in starting with a midfield that doesn't work is extremely frustrating 

As soon as I saw the lineup on Wednesday I knew we'd struggle. We had too many players starting that weren't 100% fit, and it showed in the second half. FF and Hutch shouldn't Have started, both however would have been excellent options on the bench to bring on after an hour or so

25 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Butterfly effect....wouldn't have happened!

Seriously....I would have brought Nando off the bench for Wallace. Thereby keeping the same excellent shape that had done us proud for six successful games.

Lets be honest, but for injuries forcing his hand to play 2 strikers and 2 CMs, it's highly possible we wouldn't have been in the play-offs anyway. We were 7th and couldn't buy a win at that point.

Good point

Losing one of Lee, Hutchinson or Bannan is THE only way in which we ever get to see a balanced midfield, and unsurprisingly it always results in an upturn in form

We saw it last season when Bannan was sent off at forest, we won 4 on the bounce in his absence 

If all three are fit, they play and that is CC's major failing